This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma NEXT mockups and sketches

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
Ah fair enough :D (third day and its slooowly regressing now)

But we still need a list a sort of "is everyone ok with this" thing.

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
alake
Registered Member
OS
Oh yeah Jens, I totally understood from Ivan's comment that Aurorae may not be supported. There are limitations with Aurorae that would prevent a full implementation of our design goals anyway (different shadow sizes, non-hardcoded color-schemes, etc.). The great thing is that, last I understood it, QtQuick/QML is the go-forward support-stance there as well. With Nafees and others here already on board to help with the QtComponents theme work, it shouldn't be a massive hurdle to get the fully realized windec done as well. This just gives us something quick and easy to work with, and get feedback, in a live environment till then. :-)

Ivan: Thanks so much for sharing the thinking regarding a progressive release structure. That should give us some breathing room to hopefully do a good job. Also, the svg source of the mockups is at the same location I shared earlier (http://goo.gl/8ff1qp - ignore the "Loading" message, just click the download arrow/button on the left). So if you would like to play around with those mockup assets (like reordering buttons or whatever) feel free. NoteToSelf: Remember to upload the latest revision with the updated window-tab-friendly windecs this weekend). And in case anyone is wondering, I'm not wedded to those window button designs, so feel free to suggest different designs. They're just a quick interpretation of the "chubby small icons" sentiment expressed at the time.

As for the difficulty of tackling UI redesigns for the different apps. Best thing I can think of is to do a bang up job for the folks who come looking for help (like the networkmanager folks and kmymoney folks). Add to that great, pixel perfect mockups and occasional blog posts with practical visual design tips/examples and we will hopefully inspire enough folks to evolve their UI designs or create entirely new ones. Yeah, I'm an optimist! :-)
notmart
KDE Developer
OS
alake wrote:I haven't shared anything with the folks that requested design help. Any thoughts?

nice, nice, nice :)
ivan
KDE Developer
OS
> Also, the svg source of the mockups is at the same location I shared earlier
> (http://goo.gl/8ff1qp - ignore the "Loading" message, just click the download
> arrow/button on the left). So if you would like to play around with those mockup

Awesome mate, will play around a bit tomorrow. Today was a coding day :)

jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Re: Plasma NEXT mockups and sketches

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:06 pm
I'm starting work on the Kmymoney thing tomorrow when with a little luck this flu will have passed... just wanted to say sry for being so absent, won't happen again.

alake
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 pm
jensreuterberg wrote:I'm starting work on the Kmymoney thing tomorrow when with a little luck this flu will have passed... just wanted to say sry for being so absent, won't happen again.

Jens, please take care of yourself first! Trust me, you've engendered more than enough goodwill with your efforts that it won't fall to pieces just because you're sick. It's a team effort. And if you get sick again, I'll be right there alongside your hubby yelling at you to take to care of yourself first! :-)

We all do our best work when we're healthy, rested and happy. Get well.
ivan
KDE Developer
OS
> Jens, please take care of yourself first!

Hear, hear!

jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
You're all darling and you know it! I am not back, this is not me being back - I just checked my mail and pointedly ignored everything except the most panicky one - Bhushan Shah is holding a thing on Plasma Next in 9 hours. He wondered if we had any teasers and mockups to show him...

This is a MASSIVE conundrum as in fact we don't have anything nailed down yet. I suggest sending him a cut four picture image with one of Andrew's mockups, Ivan's Dark version, Marcos Light Version, Fabians Button example. Combined that with for example the Icon Sketches that Acidrum sent, Andrews Window buttons and Fabians systray launchers? Perhaps the sketchup for Plasma Next logo somewhere hidden and the color chart?

What do you guys think?

ivan
KDE Developer
OS
+1 but it should be with a heavy 'under the development' sign

> Perhaps the sketchup for Plasma Next logo somewhere hidden
> and the color chart?
This I don't know what it is :)

jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
Concerning "under construction" - although tbh keeping bits blurred, letting other bits peak out might help instead and look more inviting than a massive "under construction sign" plus just because it's sneaked doesn't mean it's final which he will be clear on. Further I'll ask him to use it during the presentation and not hand out the slides afterwards so these will be momentary images.

The Plasma Next logo is the idea to edit the current Plasma Logo to create something new that is more easier changed, edited and animated as was required - I had one sketchy idea. I've noticed Andrew had some too - the idea is to base it off something simplistic and clean that can be added to.
The reason for which is that we simply lack a good "stomp off" from Plasma Former and with a gradual change we won't be able to do that at all. It's a sort of silver bullet marketing wise since the given marketing tactic is not applicable.

Right now it just exists as a vague image of three objects similar to planets (or blobs or bubbles depending on how they are animated)

alake
Registered Member
OS
jensreuterberg wrote:You're all darling and you know it! I am not back, this is not me being back - I just checked my mail and pointedly ignored everything except the most panicky one - Bhushan Shah is holding a thing on Plasma Next in 9 hours. He wondered if we had any teasers and mockups to show him...

This is a MASSIVE conundrum as in fact we don't have anything nailed down yet. I suggest sending him a cut four picture image with one of Andrew's mockups, Ivan's Dark version, Marcos Light Version, Fabians Button example. Combined that with for example the Icon Sketches that Acidrum sent, Andrews Window buttons and Fabians systray launchers? Perhaps the sketchup for Plasma Next logo somewhere hidden and the color chart?

What do you guys think?

All sounds fine to me, as long as it's presented in a "this is a peek into our messy workroom" vibe. I've got several hours of free time today so holler if you'd like me to put together something. :-)

Oh and I created a shared folder on google drive with all my mockup stuff here: http://goo.gl/E5AMjF
ivan
KDE Developer
OS
> bits peak out might help instead and look more inviting than a massive "under
+1

alake
Registered Member
OS
I'll volunteer to put something together for Bhushan, unless someone else started or wants to do this (just holler here if you are).
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
I'm doing a small "Plasma under construction" animation hopefully getting it done in time... (EDIT: It wont) and I sent him the wallpaper for now.
If you have time Andrew please do that and I'll try to finish the damn animation tomorrow.

Either you can pass it to me or send it to him directly <bhush94@gmail.com>

plusfabi
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:29 am
jensreuterberg wrote:Plusfabi: Sebas suggestion was this
Somewhere in the thread icon sizes came along, basically the choice between 22px and 24x. Here's my take on that:

In the old world, the systemtray icons have been odd ducks, since they're fixed-size-mini-windows, nothing to do about that. In Plasma Next, we're ditching support for this old protocol, and use newer ones that correctly (almost) abstract data and presentation. Technically, this pretty much removes the need for keeping the 22x size, and that's a great thing: We already have tons of alignment problems in the panel, and losing 1px on each side of the systemtray icons compared to other icons in the panel is one source of alignment problems, and it can also lead to blurriness if incorrectly scaled. So from my part: we use the standard icons sizes *EVERYWHERE*, no 22px non-sense anymore.

but what is the standard icon size? the current one? (24x24?) i'm so confused now.