This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Panicky things] Plasma NEXT OSD icons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alake
Registered Member
OS
haha! BOTH our husbands will kill us!
alake
Registered Member
OS
Ok, I went ahead and put together a candidate for your consideration.

Here's a sample colorized to black:

The svg source file is here: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/02/15/OSD_candidate_1.svg

A few notes:
1. It required some patient tweaking to account for the run-time colorization to the plasma foreground color. So the svg source will look strange by itself unless you apply a colorization filter that's appropriate for a given background. (We can rely on the plasma theme to provide sufficient foreground-background contrast).
2. I tried to account for differences in colorization algorithms. In the end I just used the Inkscape colorization algorithm as a reference. If the Qt colorization used in Plasma significantly different, it shouldn't take much effort to adjust the luminosity values to deal with it.
3. I included the headphones, the speaker and another speaker in the style of a systray icon I think I saw Fabian post on another thread. Pick one since I have no particular preference. I included proposed alternatives in a couple other spots as well. Again, pick one. No particular preference here.
4. I didn't include volume/light level visualization. When we settle on an icon set and get the Plasma OSD SVG spec from Martin then we can complete those. Or the Plasma team can do it.
5. While I included the speech bubble visual for the keyboard language, I think we should let Plasma render the current keyboard language at run-time. Otherwise we'll need to make a different icon for every language.

I realize that there are still quite a few unknowns in terms of future direction, but it might be worth getting this one done sooner rather than later, with the full understanding that VDG-recommended Plasma OSD visuals may change significantly once we sort out some of those unknowns.

Hope this helps!
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
These are brilliant! Thinking of tweaking them so they blend well with Acidrums icons and Fabians systemtray icons. But on the other hand the OSD icons should be, as you say, done sooner rather than later. Will try to take a look at them tonight and pass them on to Martin. Lets stick with the globe instead of the speech bubble - if the idea is that they are shortlived - lets do it the easy route.

Just been completely swamped today with more meetings :)

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
Ok martin told me that the SVG files couldn't be set according to text color so I'm trying to fix a suitable way of outlining them so they can be seen... But I can't get the source files from http://wstaw.org/m/2014/02/15/OSD_candidate_1.svg (although I'm not at home and its a **** internet connection).

My plan is to do a sort of shard-effect as background making it not as clean as outlines usually are.

Nevermind - got them now - adding a square behind them for the next version of Plasma.

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
alake
Registered Member
OS
They should probably apply the Qt::GraphicalEffects::Colorize() function on the OSD assets we already provided, since they were designed for that kind of colorization before we knew about the new css svg colorization.