This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Idea] Theme Package Kits

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
davidwright
Registered Member
OS

[Idea] Theme Package Kits

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:04 pm
Well, another quickie from me before I sit down to watch House of Cards. The title is pretty self explanatory I think, but I will go through it anyway.

Essentially I'm suggesting that there should be a way to package up lots of the different theme elements (icon set, plasma theme, colour choices, font choice etc.) into one file, so that designers can make a complete visual package that users can install in one go, totally transform their desktop in a couple of clicks. Rather that having to go and install / change every element individually.

Would be good as well for those people who like to have the same setup for all their computers.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Re: [Idea] Theme Package Kits

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:30 pm
Ok then I can make you very happy I think this is already being talked about with the devs AND also a themer. A nice GUI to create Plasma themes without having to change SVG files directly. But what is needed is mockups of how such a Megatheme system and Themer would look like. How would it work? Whats the GUI like?

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
davidwright
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:18 pm
Hmmm. The megatheming system is tricky. I think you'd have to reorganise the entire appearance system settings for it to work, or at least for people to understand what's going on!

Might have to go old skool and get my pen and paper out for this.
hysan
Registered Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 pm
davidwright wrote:Hmmm. The megatheming system is tricky. I think you'd have to reorganise the entire appearance system settings for it to work, or at least for people to understand what's going on!

You could take a look at how Netrunner reorganized their KDE Settings. The way they grouped the various theme related settings seems to be fairly intuitive.

In addition to importing/installing theme package kits, it would be awesome if there was a way to export your current theme settings to make your own theme package kit. It would make it a lot easier to mix and match existing themes, make tweaks, and reshare them.
davidwright
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:47 pm
So I've been playing at work today (in MS Paint!) and have come up with a couple of ideas.

Essentially the screen below would be the 'master' screen, and would allow you to select the different types of theme for each category. Obviously there are two main options, either to select each theme individually, or select a theme package. If you select the theme package option, then the idea would be that the individual ones would be greyed out, but would show the themes that make up the theme package, that way if you liked the theme package but want to change the icons, you'd just have to select the individual themes checkbox and select the alternate icon theme you wanted from the drop down list.

The display at the top would show the examples of each individual theme component together, which would make sure that everything gels together before you click the Apply button.

Naturally, all settings for each theme would be handled on their respective pages linked on the left hand side, and the little cog next to each dropdown box would jump you straight to those as a shortcut.

Obviously we would need to rework all the other pages, but as an overall view I think this works quite well. :)

Hope that's clear!

Thoughts appreciated.

davidwright
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:58 pm
Thought I'd give this one a bit of a bump considering the recent blog posts. ;)
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:05 pm
Ah yes, damn, I'd forgotten about that thread as well, sorry!
You're welcome to participate in the design of the Experience Settings as well, of course! It's great that we have so many people with such great ideas here!
lazyit
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:22 pm
@davidwright
I like very much your mockup ;)