This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Design Help Wanted] Plasma networkmanagement

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Is the widget really so small that a scrollbar would hurt? I can't tell.
It's certainly a widget used mostly on desktops right now, so I guess screens are usually not that small ...

As far as I'm aware the problem with scrollbars is that you can't calculate the total height of the list, and thus you can't know how large the scrollbar would need to be ... and because of that you especially can't handle dragging the scrollbar properly. A purely visual indicator _might_ be easier to do. The authors of the widget will know more ;)

Greetings

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
jgrulich
KDE Developer
OS
scummos wrote:Is the widget really so small that a scrollbar would hurt? I can't tell.
It's certainly a widget used mostly on desktops right now, so I guess screens are usually not that small ...

As far as I'm aware the problem with scrollbars is that you can't calculate the total height of the list, and thus you can't know how large the scrollbar would need to be ... and because of that you especially can't handle dragging the scrollbar properly. A purely visual indicator _might_ be easier to do. The authors of the widget will know more ;)

Greetings

Exactly! But there is also another problem in plasma-nm when using a scrollbar. Normally when you expand an item at the bottom, like when you want to see the details, the item is expanded and the list view is moved, so you can see the whole item even with the details, but when you use a scrollbar, it somehow controls the list view and this functionality doesn't work and this is confusing, because you can click on some new access point and nothing happens and you don't know that you have to scroll down to see the password dialog.

Also implementing some indicator would be difficult, because you have to calculate the height of the visible items and total items.
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Ah, I see.
For the indicator you could do it on a per-item basis, i.e. assume all items have the same height (like QWidget does... I think?). That probably breaks when you drag the indicator but for a pure visual hint it could work, no?

Greetings!

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.