This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Design Help Wanted, open issue] Krita Icons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
legnaVI
Registered Member

I dont know the possibilities are endless :D
Nuc!eoN
Registered Member
OS
legnaVI wrote:Image

I really like the one on the top, and it's certainly the best of all non-flat ones! Very good artwork (nicely detailed brush) ;)

legnaVI wrote:Image

This one... wow I'm absolutely in love with it! Very good job! Brilliant idea to split those colors into sectors, because aside from adding some variation, it also it better fits the flat style to have color "sectors" instead of gradients, and you have very nicely worked out a solution for that problem :D

Keep up the great work! :)
kdeuserk
Registered Member
legnaVI: Thanks for the flat one, real good work! I see the point with the osx style now :D.
Could you add a square variant of the flat one?
Great work!
colomar
Registered Member
OS
legnaVI wrote:Dont worry thats totally fine , thats why im trying to create a flat one for the new coming flat style :)
anyways just wanted to create one with an OSX feel, cuz im also a osx user and it fits perfectly on the launcher along with the other icons ^-^
but again thank you for the feedback

Ah yes, this is important: Most people here presumably use Plasma on Linux, so we think in that design language. However, those icons indeed won't fit in the OSX doc very well. Amarok, for example, designed a variant of their icon specifically for OSX as well, because they need to be much more detailed than anything we use in Plasma.

I think it makes sense that when an application icon is designed, the designer explicitly says which operating system / desktop environment it is meant for, so that everyone knows what we're dealing with.

Your approach to have a flat, rather simple icon for Plasma Next and a detailed, realistic-looking one for OSX makes perfect sense to me!
ghevan
Registered Member
OS
Nice. I like the ideas on the flat version icons. :D And I agree that we could use a different OSX icon version to fit the OS look.

The flat icon without the sectors look a lot more bright, so I would personally go for that one. As it's only a matter of lightness, the sliced version could be fixed easily and the sector does look appealing as it adds a bit more dimension to the graphic.

This is how they look in my "docker" area. (Several icon designs mixed)

They both look great, but once the icon is placed it needs a very prominent silhouette, color, or mark to be easily recognizable. So the brighter one (on the right) looks super to me :D

industrie13
Registered Member
OS
colomar wrote:Ah yes, this is important: Most people here presumably use Plasma on Linux, so we think in that design language. However, those icons indeed won't fit in the OSX doc very well. Amarok, for example, designed a variant of their icon specifically for OSX as well, because they need to be much more detailed than anything we use in Plasma.

I think it makes sense that when an application icon is designed, the designer explicitly says which operating system / desktop environment it is meant for, so that everyone knows what we're dealing with.

Your approach to have a flat, rather simple icon for Plasma Next and a detailed, realistic-looking one for OSX makes perfect sense to me!

I guess in the next OS X version there would be similar flat icons that are used in iOS7 now, so legnaVIs last two versions should work in both Environments (OS X and KDE) ;).

Both flat version are really well done and I needed a while to decide which one i like better, but in the end I tend to the last one because it has more sharp edges, less gradients and is somehow clearer.

Keep up the great work! ;)
legnaVI
Registered Member
Thank you so much for the comments guys, indeed
it really helps me to improve myself and do my best for Krita :)

Now about the last icon, and as somebody mentioned something about it before i also agree that its look a little bit dull compared to the previous flat one so im working on that,
about the detailed one, i guess is pretty much done

And sure why not a squarish one, i will try that later :)
legnaVI
Registered Member
Ok guys, update!

i tried a very subtle almost unnoticeable gradient and of course, made the colors more vibrant
What do you thing?
Deevad
Registered Member
OS
I like in the last update how the 'C M Y K' colors and blue stroke are back.
Defintely refreshing the design. Good work

Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
legnaVI wrote:Ok guys, update!

i tried a very subtle almost unnoticeable gradient and of course, made the colors more vibrant
What do you thing?

Oh wow, I really like these! :D Not as glossy as the Oxygen icons but still very colourful and "happy". Keep up the good work! :)
anditosan
Registered Member
OS
I wanted to also contribute an idea to what is already being done. I like the direction this app icon is taking. I wanted to make it a little more "flat" and also more defined to what it wants to communicate. I see that the examples from earlier try to add the idea of color mixing and maybe we could separate that and show a more defined set of colors.

davidwright
Registered Member
OS
Have you guys seen these GIMP flat icons: http://android272.deviantart.com/art/Fl ... -375010811 ?

I think they are really good.
Deevad
Registered Member
OS
davidwright wrote:Have you guys seen these GIMP flat icons: http://android272.deviantart.com/art/Fl ... -375010811 ?
I think they are really good.

I saw them before. Not my taste. o)

ghevan
Registered Member
OS
@legnaVI
That last icon design set: I really like it, very vibrant. :]

@anditosan
The icon you present has a logo feeling to it. I'ts good as a first aproximation to what you want to make. At the moment the graphic is hard to read, a bit confusing.

anditosan
Registered Member
OS
ghevan wrote:@legnaVI
That last icon design set: I really like it, very vibrant. :]

@anditosan
The icon you present has a logo feeling to it. I'ts good as a first aproximation to what you want to make. At the moment the graphic is hard to read, a bit confusing.

I agree... and the logo look/feel was on purpose. I imagine that it could be something that is adaptable to smaller spaces. But let's see if I can come up with some variations to move the idea forward.