This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Design Help Wanted, open issue] Krita Icons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
anditosan
Registered Member
OS
Just a few variations.

Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
anditosan wrote:Just a few variations.

These look excellent!
My personal favourite is the one in the upper right corner. But does Krita really need a new Icon? I think the current one is actually good enough (maybe not the best though).
EraX
Registered Member
OS
anditosan wrote:Just a few variations.

One of the first three icons would fit pretty well for Karbon(Calligra Suite). I like the first one
halla
KDE Developer
OS
Hi... I'm not sure that we actually need new app icons for Krita, but the designs I see are pretty cool. Keep in mind though, that Krita is a family of applications: we've got Krita, Krita Sketch, Krita Gemini and Krita Studio, and each has its own variation on the same basic icon set, and that's something I would like to keep.
ghevan
Registered Member
OS
I'm not 100% sure I have the updated icons, but here is a table of the current krita icons (Below, legnaVi's work.)

boudewijn wrote:Hi... I'm not sure that we actually need new app icons for Krita, but the designs I see are pretty cool. Keep in mind though, that Krita is a family of applications: we've got Krita, Krita Sketch, Krita Gemini and Krita Studio, and each has its own variation on the same basic icon set, and that's something I would like to keep.

We could refresh the icon for the 3.x series :D. IMHO changing icons gives the perception the proyect is alive and changing. People will see the new icon and think "new icon = new features" So probably we could uso some icon proposals for the bigger krita changes. Like the MDI branch, or the particle 3D painting system of the upcoming krita 2015 ;]

legnaVI
Registered Member
ghevan wrote:I'm not 100% sure I have the updated icons, but here is a table of the current krita icons (Below, legnaVi's work.)

boudewijn wrote:Hi... I'm not sure that we actually need new app icons for Krita, but the designs I see are pretty cool. Keep in mind though, that Krita is a family of applications: we've got Krita, Krita Sketch, Krita Gemini and Krita Studio, and each has its own variation on the same basic icon set, and that's something I would like to keep.

We could refresh the icon for the 3.x series :D. IMHO changing icons gives the perception the proyect is alive and changing. People will see the new icon and think "new icon = new features" So probably we could uso some icon proposals for the bigger krita changes. Like the MDI branch, or the particle 3D painting system of the upcoming krita 2015 ;]

Totally agree :)

So basically the only difference is the color and those tiny sparks on the Studio one, im gonna try doing those changes to the new krita one, or i could try something different like for the sketch instead of a brush, why not a pencil, because its just for fast sketching, i dont know about Gemini neither Studio, what are the differences ?
legnaVI
Registered Member

Roger that ;)
achibrucie
Registered Member
OS
ghevan wrote:So probably we could uso some icon proposals for the bigger krita changes.

I'm going to be game and say what I think Boudewijn was trying to get across.

Krita is currently not interested in changing the icon. Krita would much prefer to stick with the icon and focus on the real issue which is the UI icons.

I've been watching this forum and I think we have gone a bit off track. I think the Boud should make a post clearing this up a little bit since I can't talk for his vision.

I think what has happened is that people have seemily agreed on a design without Boud agreeing with it, and moved on. Perhaps a master post on which ones he likes and doesn't like.

Unless someone else makes the calls - which I'm unaware of. In that case, sorry.
legnaVI
Registered Member
achibrucie wrote:
ghevan wrote:So probably we could uso some icon proposals for the bigger krita changes.

I'm going to be game and say what I think Boudewijn was trying to get across.

Krita is currently not interested in changing the icon. Krita would much prefer to stick with the icon and focus on the real issue which is the UI icons.

I've been watching this forum and I think we have gone a bit off track. I think the Boud should make a post clearing this up a little bit since I can't talk for his vision.

I think what has happened is that people have seemily agreed on a design without Boud agreeing with it, and moved on. Perhaps a master post on which ones he likes and doesn't like.

Unless someone else makes the calls - which I'm unaware of. In that case, sorry.

Im pretty aware of that, btw the UI icons are done, well at least the Tool box is done for now, and im currently working on other icons like the ones from the dockers.
About the app icon, i know nobody asked for a redesign, but if im already helping you on polishing the UI ones why not give a little of love to the app icon too, because to be honest, and as a designer, the current ones lack, their design is the same, they could be mistaken easily, maybe doing a more noticeable color difference on them would do the trick,but again thats just me ^-^
im just submitting my ideas, if you guys approve and want to use them, thats cool and if you dont thats cool too haha, i just want to give a more professional look to krita thats all :)

Last edited by legnaVI on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
legnaVI
Registered Member
so heres an update of them, krita and Sketch are done, maybe i could tweak a little bit more sketch by changing the pencil color i dont know,
again these are just ideas :)

Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
legnaVI wrote:so heres an update of them, krita and Sketch are done, maybe i could tweak a little bit more sketch by changing the pencil color i dont know,

Oh those look great! Could you maybe try to change the pencil's colour into a more wooden one? Just to see how it looks! :)
I really like the idea of the start of the sketch in the Sketch icon (lol). Awesome work :)
legnaVI
Registered Member
Sogatori wrote:
legnaVI wrote:so heres an update of them, krita and Sketch are done, maybe i could tweak a little bit more sketch by changing the pencil color i dont know,

Oh those look great! Could you maybe try to change the pencil's colour into a more wooden one? Just to see how it looks! :)
I really like the idea of the start of the sketch in the Sketch icon (lol). Awesome work :)

Hey thanks Sogatori!
sure, actually im on it, trying different colors on it, so i'll post some variations soon :)
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
legnaVI wrote:Hey thanks Sogatori!
sure, actually im on it, trying different colors on it, so i'll post some variations soon :)

Oh, before I forget it: Maybe the tip of the pencil should match the colour of the sketch in the background, so in this case blue.
legnaVI
Registered Member
Sogatori wrote:
legnaVI wrote:Hey thanks Sogatori!

Oh, before I forget it: Maybe the tip of the pencil should match the colour of the sketch in the background, so in this case blue.

Whoops, didnt read that before hehe, im gonna try that when i wake up its late, and here are some color variations with a tweak to the pencil i guess it looks more familiar with the Brush one. i like the turquoise one because of those turquoise pencils meant for drawing ^-^
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
legnaVI wrote:Image

Whoops, didnt read that before hehe, im gonna try that when i wake up its late, and here are some color variations with a tweak to the pencil i guess it looks more familiar with the Brush one. i like the turquoise one because of those turquoise pencils meant for drawing ^-^

It think I like the colourful version more than the monochrome ones. I especially like green and yellow, because these colour fit really nicely to the colour of the wood. Turquoise is not but, but I don't like red for some reason, lol.