This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma Theme

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Plasma Theme

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:26 pm
alake wrote:I'm down for doing it earlier and getting the feedback so we can fix any visual bugs. We'll live and die by the community for the best results. :-)

Alpha will be around 1 april (nice prank isn't it?:p)
So, do we merge it before or after the alpha?
alake
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:47 pm
notmart wrote:Alpha will be around 1 april (nice prank isn't it?:p)

Before alpha is fine with me, if Jens has no objections. A quick tap on his shoulder might be worth it just to make sure.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:59 am
alake wrote:
notmart wrote:Alpha will be around 1 april (nice prank isn't it?:p)

Before alpha is fine with me, if Jens has no objections. A quick tap on his shoulder might be worth it just to make sure.

i passed the script to fix the CSS stuff over everything.
now what is neededare still the systray icons.

after they come in, i'll move the thing over the plasma-framework repo
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:28 am
another update.. i cleaned up the panel a bit and fixed the css stuff for background..
then i tried to tweak a bit the colors file..

there are some definite problems, and a lot of elements still not have the css working properly.. but looks kinda good and the results are definitely encouraging ;)
alake
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:31 pm
Wow! Exciting for the first go at it! BTW Jens gave the thumbs up on merging before alpha too. Holler if you need anything from me!
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:51 pm
alake wrote:Wow! Exciting for the first go at it! BTW Jens gave the thumbs up on merging before alpha too. Holler if you need anything from me!

one thing that is a bit a blocker atm is the systray icons.. any news from them?

About the merge.. do you need to have the history of old versions of the svg files (being binary git isn't that efficient on repo size ;) or i can just copy over?
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:21 pm
Hi sorry for being AFK for a while. Will have a ton of things to read up on when I get home too. The systray icons are Fabians domain and he posted them recently, so perhaps they are available somewhere?

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
alake
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:57 pm
Yeah, the systray icons are in Fabian's court at the moment. Hopefully he can chime in soon with an update. If we're unable to get them in for the alpha, I have no objections to going with the current ones as place-holders till we can get them in. They don't look terribly out of place, at least not on my installation. Besides there's lots of other components of the overall visual design not yet in place and won't be for a while (windecs, widget styles, icons, etc.). Would be great if we could get them in, but it's alpha. I imagine there'll be other visual refinements to the plasma theme after then anyway.

No problem on ditching the history in the transfer (I'll use my local clone if I need the history).

Thanks for all your help in getting us to this point Marco! :-)
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:09 am
alake wrote:No problem on ditching the history in the transfer (I'll use my local clone if I need the history).

Last important thing for moving it: what is its final name? was it vellum?
alake
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:34 pm
notmart wrote:Last important thing for moving it: what is its final name? was it vellum?

Man, that's a tough one. And I've had a bear of a time coming up with one. I'm totally open to suggestions here. :-)
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:54 pm
Actually, I think we should not look for a name for the Plasma theme in isolation. I liked how Air clearly related to Oxygen, and I think we should come up with a "grander scheme" for naming the new KDE artwork as well. That naming scheme should incorporate the general theme that leads the VDG's work.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:04 pm
colomar wrote:Actually, I think we should not look for a name for the Plasma theme in isolation. I liked how Air clearly related to Oxygen, and I think we should come up with a "grander scheme" for naming the new KDE artwork as well. That naming scheme should incorporate the general theme that leads the VDG's work.

yeah, future qstyle should be called the same way...
what about "Breathe" or something along the lines?
Is connected, and conveys any positive feeling of clean, fresh etc.
alake
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:30 am
Jens' inspiring words for the work done so far (at least for my own contributions) was:
The future that never was; clean, technical, but human.

Whatever one made-up or existing word that communicates that general sentiment would get my vote. I imagine Jens has some ideas as well. :-)
Hans
Administrator
OS

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:42 am
notmart wrote:yeah, future qstyle should be called the same way...
what about "Breathe" or something along the lines?
Is connected, and conveys any positive feeling of clean, fresh etc.

I like the idea, but "Breathe" looks weird to me since it's a verb (looks too much like a command, "Breathe!").

How about "Breeze"? Along the same lines, it's gentle, and I personally associate it with something positive.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 am
Hans wrote:How about "Breeze"? Along the same lines, it's gentle, and I personally associate it with something positive.

I like that a lot! It describes gently moving air, so it picks up where the previous theme (Air) left off. And Breeze also somehow fits the white and blue colors pretty well (at least in my head). The only downside is that it doesn't really fit the "future technology" theme set by Jens