This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Idea] New cursor theme

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Kver
Registered Member
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:33 pm
flying sheep wrote:
Kver wrote:*laughs*

I just loaded the cursors onto my computer at work and found exactly what you *just* pointed out - that they were all pointing to files on my computer. Explains why it all looked good to me at home; though I'm curious as to how they got linked like that, since I'm sure they were linked properly at one point.

Anyway, I was literally coming here to post that I fixed that issue and uploaded the revision.

I've also added the left_side; I just noticed that this stuff got onto PlanetKDE so I'm aiming to get these issues ironed out before people start putting deffective cursor sets onto their computers. :<

Thanks a lot btw; if left to my own devices I'm pretty sure computers would be catching fire if they tried to load these cursors.

it’s not fixed on github though :)

*nods* I suck at github. And GIT. Which is odd since I'm primarily a programmer who uses V/C a lot. Anywho, when I get home I'll be loading up the corrections, but I'm not willing to go outside my breaks to push corrections when I'm on someone else's dollar. ;)

Towards PNGs in GIT/GitHub - When I get that automated script 100% finished I plan to just include the raw files in the repo. Until then, I'm just dumping everything I've got worth putting up. :P

Reformed lurker.
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:41 pm
Try to read the "pro git". It is awesome book and shows why actually git is awesome ;-)

PS
for the time being, try the:
Code: Select all
git commit -a
Nuc!eoN
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:59 pm
I would rather not. This curor is already rather large when compared to the DMZ.

Well, you could still make it narrower^^ But I guess you like it the way it is :P

Because it was actually modeled after the X.org default cursor.

That explains it all I guess^^ ;)
What I further noticed: it's a bit too fat and IMO hides too much content behind it (I came accross this "issue").
EDIT: Yeah this is really kind of annoying... it hides complete chars.

Actually it should be cross directional arrow according to specs. I just like the palm to much.

lol

A little detail though: You have already rounded the thumb on the pointer icon; I'd do the same to the forefinger, because currently the square one looks kinda.. well square.
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:40 pm
A little detail though: You have already rounded the thumb on the pointer icon; I'd do the same to the forefinger, because currently the square one looks kinda.. well square.

Sure, no problem.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:45 pm
I have only read the topic today, sorry..
Anyways, The theme looks really great!
I would like having it included in the first release.
In order to do that it should be imported in some git repo somewhere in the KDE infrastructure.
Would be ok? can get this going?
flying sheep
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:51 pm
sir_herrbatka wrote:
why not?

Git is ill-suited for compresing anything other than a text file. And repository actually contains not only the last file versions but all files, from all branches so adding graphics is usually not the best idea (unless you know that it won't be changed – not the case here).

those things are small as ****.

OP could go through 100 revisions of everything and nobody would care about the download size.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:10 pm
flying sheep wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:
why not?

Git is ill-suited for compresing anything other than a text file. And repository actually contains not only the last file versions but all files, from all branches so adding graphics is usually not the best idea (unless you know that it won't be changed – not the case here).

those things are small as ****.

OP could go through 100 revisions of everything and nobody would care about the download size.

yes, for stuff small as cursors git is just fine, even if the repo contains mostly binary files
flying sheep
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:27 pm
i’d like to stress that i didn’t apply silly self-censoring to my post, but this forum software did it.

wtf., forum? i like to curse, god-fu-cking-dammit
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:01 pm
Thank you all for these amazing new cursor themes! I can't even decide which I want to use. There should definitely be an option to change the cursors automatically after a certain amount of time has passed ;D. Amazing work ;D

Though I have one bugreport to make, which affects both, Bridge and Perspective, on my system. When I hover over an link then both themes fall back to a X11 cursor. I'm not sure how it's called. It looks like a hand pointing to the left. I would make a screenshot, but I can't figure out how to get KSnapshot to record the cursor too. Oh well!

I found a picture with the cursor in question:
When I hover over a link in both themes the second cursor from the top right appears.
Sorry that I can't be more helpful :(.
flying sheep wrote:i’d like to stress that i didn’t apply silly self-censoring to my post, but this forum software did it.

wtf., forum? i like to curse, god-fu-cking-dammit

Lol, that's adorable. Reminds me of the LEGO online game were one couldn't use the chat, because every second word or so was censored. :D
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:22 pm
What I further noticed: it's a bit too fat and IMO hides too much content behind it (I came accross this "issue").

It is 3px wide (border, white border). I have no idea what can i do with it.
When I hover over a link in both themes the second cursor from the top right appears.

Thats odd. I can't replicate it.
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:30 pm
sir_herrbatka wrote:

It is 3px wide (border, white border). I have no idea what can i do with it.

Thats odd. I can't replicate it.

Oh, never mind. I just rebooted and now it's all gone. I guess there was still some cache somewhere causing trouble. o)
Nuc!eoN
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:31 pm
sir_herrbatka wrote:It is 3px wide (border, white border). I have no idea what can i do with it.

Oh damn :0 Nevermind it appears that I got used to extraordinary luxury with my oxygen-neon theme, where the text-cursor is half-transparent :P (and of course the Windows cursor where it's 1 px wide :D)
flying sheep
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:53 pm
Sogatori wrote:When I hover over an link then both themes fall back to a X11 cursor. I'm not sure how it's called. It looks like a hand pointing to the left. I would make a screenshot, but I can't figure out how to get KSnapshot to record the cursor too. Oh well!

it’s called hand2, and IDK why stuff falls back to it.
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:50 am
Oh damn :0 Nevermind it appears that I got used to extraordinary luxury with my oxygen-neon theme, where the text-cursor is half-transparent (and of course the Windows cursor where it's 1 px wide )

I don't think that semitransperent cursor (or cursor without border) is good for contrast :(
Kver
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:40 pm
notmart wrote:I have only read the topic today, sorry..
Anyways, The theme looks really great!
I would like having it included in the first release.
In order to do that it should be imported in some git repo somewhere in the KDE infrastructure.
Would be ok? can get this going?

For Bridge, if all you need is the installable cursors, then you can have-at the .tar.gz download posted earlier; I haven't had any bug-reports on it in the past day so I beleive it's stable. If you want sources you may need to wait a day or two - my Git repo is out-of-date and I haven't had a moment to touch it.

I will have an update by next weekend at the latest that will hopefully include multiple sizes, but if the single size is good enough for now then you're welcome to it.

Edit: here's the link.

Reformed lurker.