This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Idea] New cursor theme

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
flying sheep
Registered Member
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:25 pm
Kver wrote:I haven't had any bug-reports on it in the past day so I beleive it's stable.

it is. works flawlessly in KDE and every cursor finally will work in firefox 30 (except for vertical text and the zoom cursors, but that’s because i forgot to patch vertical-text in and the zoom-cursors aren’t standardized yet)
Kver
Registered Member
OS

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:00 am
Just putting an update out there that I'm not ready to put out other sixes/variations of the Bridge cursor set this weekend, and it may be late next week until I manage to start publishing more cursors. Once my day job has calmed down I'll be itching to publish a splurge of updates.

Reformed lurker.
edmael
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:07 pm
Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum, but I'd like to point out that, so far, this is the most convincing thing in Plasma Next.
Kudos for the great work.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:02 pm
So, we would really like to ship the Bride cursor theme as default in the Plasma release.
to do that, we would need the theme in some git repository somewhere in the KDE infrastructure.
We were thinking about a "breeze" git repository that would contain the cursors plus other artwork in that style if needed.

How does it sound?
Kver
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:55 pm
notmart wrote:So, we would really like to ship the Bride cursor theme as default in the Plasma release.
to do that, we would need the theme in some git repository somewhere in the KDE infrastructure.
We were thinking about a "breeze" git repository that would contain the cursors plus other artwork in that style if needed.

How does it sound?

Sounds good; treat the set however you feel it's done best. Unfourtinately I'm beyond swamped at work right now (25 hours days for the next few weeks) so I'm not sure if I can provide any assistance, but if there's work needed on my part let me know and I'll try to accomodate.

There is a github link @ https://github.com/Ken-Vermette/Bridge-Cursor if that helps, but I would reccomend using the tar.gz I've circulated around, it can be found at http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Bridge?content=164587.

Reformed lurker.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:07 pm
Kver wrote:
notmart wrote:There is a github link @ https://github.com/Ken-Vermette/Bridge-Cursor if that helps, but I would reccomend using the tar.gz I've circulated around, it can be found at http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Bridge?content=164587.

Cool.
Do you prefer the history of that github repo to be preserved, or just a snapshot?
Kver
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:22 pm
notmart wrote:
Kver wrote:
notmart wrote:There is a github link @ https://github.com/Ken-Vermette/Bridge-Cursor if that helps, but I would reccomend using the tar.gz I've circulated around, it can be found at http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Bridge?content=164587.

Cool.
Do you prefer the history of that github repo to be preserved, or just a snapshot?

There's not much history in it, so whichever is easier/faster/cleaner - I don't have a preference.

Reformed lurker.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:41 am
The cursor theme is imported in kde as the breeze repo, that will be an umbrella repo for pieces of the new style.
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/workspace/breeze

Kver: do you have/want write access to kde git repos?
flying sheep
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:00 pm
seems to be an old version. the symlinks are partly wrong. i’m on it.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:06 pm
flying sheep wrote:seems to be an old version. the symlinks are partly wrong. i’m on it.

ah.
i taken it from master on github.
can you commit/push the fixes?
flying sheep
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:43 pm
notmart wrote:
flying sheep wrote:seems to be an old version. the symlinks are partly wrong. i’m on it.

ah.
i taken it from master on github.
can you commit/push the fixes?

done:
  1. main work
  2. forgot right_ptr
  3. forgot to fix the col-resize and row-resize switchup in the SVG, as well

too bad that Kver didn’t say that the github repo was out of date, though, that was a bit of repeat work.

however, i’m pretty sure the whole workflow is fixed. (the names in the svg, the xcursorgen spec files, the png names, the cursor file names, and the symlinks)

i did everything manually though, so please do the right thing if you see discrepancies (i.e. new files being generated with names that differ from existing ones only by a “-” vs. “_”)
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Mon May 12, 2014 1:06 pm
just FYI:
i changed the cursors a bit, now all gets exported as exactly 32x32 pngs by a script (using inkscpae in commandline mode) and exports them also scaled by a factor of two, so there is a boosted up version for high dpi as well
Kver
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 13, 2014 6:16 pm
notmart wrote:just FYI:
i changed the cursors a bit, now all gets exported as exactly 32x32 pngs by a script (using inkscpae in commandline mode) and exports them also scaled by a factor of two, so there is a boosted up version for high dpi as well

(Oh geez I've neglected things - sorry! Super-excited to know things are going fine without me though, another case why open source is awesome)

I previously exported as 32x32s and left all the cursors uncropped, but I ran into a bug (I'm assuming with X) where the cursor would momentarily flicker to the wrong offset whever the cursor changed; it was especially prominent if you rapidly moved the cursor back-and-fourth over a web link. By the looks of it, X was repositioning the old cursor to the next cursors offset one frame before updating the pixmap, I found the impact of it was greatly reduced after cropping. Annoyed the &^%$ out of me as soon as I noticed it though.

I need to update my copy of the cursors, so I'll try it out and let you know if I run into the issue. :P

Reformed lurker.
Kver
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 13, 2014 7:50 pm
Sorry for the double-post, but I feel the urge to say this;

You guys are awesome. Simply awesome. Amazing. I've just peered into the Breeze Cursor repository and for the first time ever I've seen what happens when really, REALLY talented people take the baton. Life has been incredibly rough over the past few weeks and really sucked the life outta me to the point where I just can't work at home right now, and despite my constant fear of this thing dying I just couldn't keep forcing myself to work either.

I've always developed in closed enviornments, and I'm conditioned to expect my projects will die without me. After looking at the repo and seeing the latest snapshot, I honestly got a little emotional because I've never seen my work expanded on before; not in a meaningful way, and you guys have done more with it than I could have. You made the scripts do what I wanted then to do, you made the compilation work how I wanted it to work, you added features I didn't know how to automate, organized it, and you did it all better than I could have.

I know its ridlicious to post this over collaboration, especially since it's "the norm" around here. From somone mostly entrenched in proprietary development I need to comment at the amazing work, and just how fantastic it is to see talented developers able to just "pick up" where I left off and actually make something of it all. I just had to comment at how incredible it is to see that not only has time not stopped - but that work I contributed to is alive and doing better than if I alone had been the sole contributor. I've always seen the hints of this, but today I appreciate the full impact of open development.

So, thank you. Amazing, awesome work.

Reformed lurker.
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Tue May 13, 2014 7:57 pm
@Kver Hear, hear! :)