This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Idea] New cursor theme

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Wed May 14, 2014 1:22 am
Kver, that was very uplifting to read, thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
flying sheep
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 14, 2014 11:48 am
Wow, to see you this happy makes me see what I took for granted in a whole new light, as well. For me, it was exactly the other way round: cleaning up and fixing a script is the least I can do to help an artist who created something I could never envision myself.

I think the best part of open source is when people invest in whatever they are perfectionist about, and in the end, we have something which is polished is every respect. I can imagine that in the business world, everyone has his or her own brainchild, where perfection only happens when you personally care about it.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Mon May 19, 2014 10:30 am
Ok during todays Plasma Next dev meet there was appearently an issue with the cursor theme so if anyone could take a look at this bugreport, Kwer?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=334954

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 27, 2014 10:03 am
Anything new on this? I read in the bug tracker that it's because Breeze only supports a limited range of resolutions. On my installation the problem doesn't occur, but I can't change the resolution any ways (as opposed to all the other cursors).
So my question is, what's the best way to deal with this bug? Making 24px and 48px version of breeze, too?
Kver
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 am
Hmmm, I'm trying to wrap my head around it; The only thing that's going off in the back of my head is the fact that Kwin seems to 'cache' the first cursor set on startup, and requires logging out / logging in again to 'cache' the new pointer set. All the 'buggy' cursors seems to have a relation to window manipulation... Could this be in any way related? I know nothing of the actual system behaviors when it comes to using the files, so I feel incredibly uninformed in this scenario.

@Sogatori Either way, if KDE requires specific sizes to function in specific scenarios, I'm leaning towards a bug with the software; in theroy a visually impaired user should be able to use a cursor with only a 64px resolution available - I don't think any sizes should be hardcoded... Again though, I'm uneducated in this regard; bucket-o-salt with what I just mused. Though it would still probably be good to offer a middle ground at 48px - I mean, 64px is a big chunk of real-estate, maybe even for rdpi screens. I think I could make that a weekend project if I'm not beaten to it - I've been wanting to port the white theme over to the awesomesauce new export system anyway.

Reformed lurker.