This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Idea] New cursor theme

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Leroux
Registered Member

[Idea] New cursor theme

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:58 pm
Hi, it would be nice to create a new cursor theme. In my opinion oxygen theme is to 'fluffy' and inaccurate (especially I-Beam Pointer). I think about something like gnome theme (DMZ) but more colorful and of course according to new design pattern. Currently I don't have any exact vision of this, I just want to bring this subject up.

I also think, it would be nice so the cursor theme could cover applications needs, such as Inkscape, Krita and GIMP to make UX more consistent in that matter. Of course that's my suggestion, I don't even know is that possible.
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:43 am
While I still like the Oxygen cursor theme, i agree that a new cursor theme will have to be done eventually, simply because the Oxygen theme won't fit the new Plasma theme's style.
donK23
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 am
Leroux wrote:I also think, it would be nice so the cursor theme could cover applications needs, such as Inkscape, Krita and GIMP to make UX more consistent in that matter. Of course that's my suggestion, I don't even know is that possible.

If possible - that would be a nice feature for UX! Also for GIS applications (like Marble or QGIS) it would be very useful.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:21 pm
As a personal confession I have to admit that I use the classica (or "classico") black cursor theme.

I agree fully with all of the above. We just need to make certain the pointer is "non-gimmicky" which is a risk when redesigning something so basic as a pointer theme. (hope "non-gimmicky" makes sense will do a blog post about it soon if I ever find the damn time ;) )

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:41 pm
As a personal confession I have to admit that I use the classica (or "classico") black cursor theme.

Nice. I'm the author of this cursor theme, so if somebody wants to work on it i have svg files somewhere on the hard drive.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:09 pm
Well done! :)

So what are your experiences with working with a pointer theme. I mean yours is fairly laid back and not so "out there" but sticking to basics. Do you have any pointers and ideas? I mean if you where going to do something that would fit your idea for Plasma NEXT, what would that pointer look like?

sir_herrbatka
Registered Member

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:36 pm
Do you have any pointers and ideas?

Currently I'm working on the "bold" variant of this cursor (2 pixel border instead of 1) looks like this http://wstaw.org/m/2014/03/05/zrzut87.png But clearly you would want something more distinctive and we have problem here.

The main problem with pointer is that it should be plain since the last thing you want is to have a pointer that draws attention away from thing it points. It also needs to be high contrast – it needs to be visible on all kinds of bacgrounds. This leaves a little space for being original. The only thing that comes to my mind right now: remove tail from the traditional arrow and try to make it look good.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:19 pm
No no we're on the same track!

The issue I have with the oxygen pointers are that they are too... well "too much" (not saying we could just remove them as they have become a loved thing amongst a lot of users. But .... maybe move them to something you opt in to?)

The thing though is that I would like something that did its job (ie being plain and just functional) but was somehow also obviously a part of a design goal, a language of visuals (the Oxygen pointer, being so unique is obviously a part of the Oxygen theme).

Or for that matter the DMZ pointer.

As for removing the tail... iiiih I have yet to see it done good. Perhaps making it smaller, changing the proportion of the different parts of the cursor?

EDIT: also... what the heck is going on there in that lower panel? ;)

sir_herrbatka
Registered Member

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:42 pm
The issue I have with the oxygen pointers are that they are too... well "too much" (not saying we could just remove them as they have become a loved thing amongst a lot of users.

actually, "too much" is my opinion on whole oxygen theme. It's impressivly detailed and sometimes photorealistic but it is simply too much for my taste.

But .... maybe move them to something you opt in to?

No idea what to do with those. Honestly, after working on cursors with the inkscape i started to consider oxygen cursor as a masterpiece. It is difficult to achieve anything that smooth. I don't think we can improve it.

The thing though is that I would like something that did its job (ie being plain and just functional) but was somehow also obviously a part of a design goal.

Maybe just add distinctive elements, like spinner in colors from the new pallet. But not sure about it.

Or for that matter the DMZ pointer.

DMZ is quite neutral IMHO.

EDIT: also... what the heck is going on there in that lower panel?

Large pager and 14 VD. Good for dragging windows.
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:25 pm
I like the black classica++ theme, too! It's simple, yet smooth (the "KDE classic" theme which available by default, for example, is too simple for me). Therefore I think it fits the general design direction of Plasma Next pretty well.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:28 pm
Ok lets do it like this - I'll raise the issue with the VDG and see if we can use them and what they think. I mean if we all like the classica and YOU did them Herrbatka why the hell not stick to them? Lets see what everyone thinks.

What I ment with opt-in was that we could still ship the Oxygen pointers but have another theme chosen by default?

colomar
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:41 pm
jensreuterberg wrote:What I ment with opt-in was that we could still ship the Oxygen pointers but have another theme chosen by default?

What should keep us from doing it? I'd say both should be shipped with Plasma by default (cursor themes aren't exactly big) and classica++ (if we're going for that one) should be selected by default
Leroux
Registered Member

Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:21 am
I also use classicia++, and personally I would recommend this for everybody who want to experience accuracy, combined with the elegance. On the other hand, I feel like the main pointer Image is more "smart" than "sexy" like the I-Beam Pointer is. Also I think that busy pointer is too ascetic and too gray :P
I fell in love with this Image icon, so naturally I would recommend this color palette, but yes, I am aware that, since it will be official Krita icon, we couldn't use this, but I hope I've made my point.
And my final point is that the Question Mark Pointer have little bit too far question mark from the pointer itself.

I'm not an expert, but in my opinion, cursor theme is what should be done at the end of the design process. It's because it is probably only one piece of art in whole DE which is compared with all the elements of desktop environment. Personally I consider the cursor as a counterbalance to the rest of the icons.
lazyit
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:40 pm
This can be used instead of the hourglass, the "waiting for" obviously animated.
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:01 pm
@jensreuterberg
Any updates on the subject?