This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Universal emoticons theme

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
smartalgorithm
Registered Member
OS

Universal emoticons theme

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:38 pm
will we have a new (maybe redesigned for the new "futuristic" theme) emoticons theme? if yes will it be compatible with multiple services (facebook, google chat, others) simultaneously? For example in KDE's telepathy program wen you send (or receive) :-* (kiss) emoticon it can show in facebook chat but not in google chat and vice versa ... The point here is to have an emoticons theme which will cover as much services as possible.
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Re: Universal emoticons theme

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:52 pm
Actually, that's more of a technical matter. If different protocols translate the same emoticon to a different string of characters, the messaging client (e.g. KTp) has to translate the emoticon differently based on the protocol. While this would of course be cool to have, it's nothing designers can do, it has to be implemented in the code.
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:47 am
What I'd quite like is to use (where possible) the original emoticons.

Talking on Google is generally better if you install http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Go ... ent=162161
as then what you see is what the other person sees.

It's very hard to cover the lowest common denominator of emoticons without then being limiting.

On one hand, it would be nice to change per-protocol, but on the other hand that sucks because it means if I'm typing on Google and talk to a friend on Facebook I then have to change what I type.
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:28 pm
david_edmundson wrote:What I'd quite like is to use (where possible) the original emoticons.

Talking on Google is generally better if you install http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Go ... ent=162161
as then what you see is what the other person sees.

It's very hard to cover the lowest common denominator of emoticons without then being limiting.

On one hand, it would be nice to change per-protocol, but on the other hand that sucks because it means if I'm typing on Google and talk to a friend on Facebook I then have to change what I type.

While this makes sense, it should be optional. I for example never use the built-in Hangouts chat in Google+ mainly because those emoticons are the ugliest I have ever seen in my entire life, and if I'd be forced to use them in KTp, I'd switch to a different client.

So if this is implementedm there should be an option to either always use the standard emoticons or use protocol-specific ones wherever possible.