This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Show & Tell

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
davidwright
Registered Member
OS

Show & Tell

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:48 pm
I thought it might be a nice idea to have a show and tell of desktop screenshots from some of the lurkers on this forum. I actually think you can tell a lot about someone by how they arrange their desktop. This is why I love KDE, total freedom to express yourself on your PC, even if you are a boring, traditional square like me. ;D

So there we are. As you can see I'm a bit of a traditionalist with the task bar at the bottom. I did experiment with it at the top and on the sides, but it never felt right, it was as though I was staring over the edge of a cliff in a way. I need something at the bottom to ground me. I prefer the lighter themes as you can tell. I've never got on with the darker ones, and not because I don't like them, it's just that I don't think it works well with certain apps.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Re: Show & Tell

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:18 pm
Oh I'm game! :D

This is my laptop - its Linux Mint 16 KDE using the icon Theme Square, Gnome Plasma Theme and Numix Qtcurve Theme and Colors (the colors from Half Left and the actual theme from Satya). That thing at the bottom is, to my eternal shame a Docky (which is natively GTK not Qt, meaning its subject to crashes at times) - but there isn't any Dock with Intellihide and a centered Icon Only Taskmanager for Plasma at the moment (I say that hoping I can one day charm someone to make one).
I keep the top panel to "Windows go below" meaning when windows are maximized the top window bar hides away perfectly. Now you can't see it but the menu's are set to top of sceen menubar.

I might add a Window Control App (I haven't found one yet that doesn't require me having to build it and for this laptop I'm too lazy for that :)) to be able to close windows covered by the top panel - but since I tend to use the keyboard for those things anyway (I always set it to Meta+Q to close windows, Meta+Z to maximize, Me+X to tile left, Y to tile right, V to Show Desktop and B for fullscreen (plus a ton of other shortcuts))

The desktop computer is more classical KDE in layout but I use it to test super secret Plasma Next stuff so... I wanna keep it secret for now :)

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
lazyit
Registered Member
OS

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:33 pm
my actual simple desktop:
Flamini Icon (very very wonderful icon pack similar to Numix)
Wallpaper Google Now
Plasma Theme Caledonia
Widget Style Qt curve Aeri
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:05 pm
And this is mine:

Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:36 am
Ivan rules! ;D

Left top: fast access
Right top: status info
Bottom: app list

Theme: Oxygen, Aya, Wonton soup
Background: simple image of Carbon (2nd workspace with Damascus Flower)
No transparency, no wobbling effects
sfranzen
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:07 pm
I am "staring over the edge of the cliff" with a side panel! ;)

The side panel has the Icon-Only task manager with permanent launchers for several applications. Menu bars are exported to the top panel, which also houses the pager and tray. A minor hack is in place, since I regularly extend my (16:9) desktop to a 4:3 monitor and the huge virtual desktop space does not play nice, causing windows to maximise behind the top panel. I don't want this to happen without better control over window actions (like Jens), so I run an invisible tint2 "strut" panel on Autostart behind the KDE one, which extends into the unusable virtual space.

Further details:
Desktop theme: Mainly Kotonaru (customised some parts)
Widget theme: QtCurve (Kawai I think, heavily modified)
Colors: Kawai.colors, modified the tooltip text/background.
Icon theme: Reflektions
Leroux
Registered Member

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:54 pm
Here is mine
anditosan
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:34 pm
Here is what I have right now with openSUSE. I took what has been put out so far for visual styles and changed colors, text and icons. The aim here is to have clear working space.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h41 ... 08de59.png
sfranzen
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:01 pm
Leroux wrote:Here is mine

Also a very wicked icon theme, which one are you using?
Leroux
Registered Member

Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:13 pm
Compass (Nitrux)
Tsukasa Buddha
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:18 pm
Default is the Good ;D !

mmistretta
Registered Member

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:56 pm

Icon only taskbar with a transparent theme looks pretty nice.