This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Wording Needed] New Name for "Desktop Effects" Settings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
colomar
Registered Member
OS
As already mentioned in the System Settings thread, the current "Desktop Effects" settings module will be split in two: One called Compositing which contains general technical stuff (mostly what's currently in the "Advanced" tab, plus the control to switch off Compositing completely), and another one to switch effects / KWin plugins on or off and configure them (which is currently the "All Effects" tab).

The goal is to have all the advanced technical stuff in a module with a name which indicates "If you don't know what compositing even is, you'd better not even use that module". I think "Compositing" reflects that.
The other module's name should be inviting to everyone, even those who have no clue about compositing as such.

To give you an impression of the direction we're aiming for, Jens suggested "Eye Candy". Personally I think that this has a too negative connotation for many users (Eye Candy makes it look like the things in there have no practical use at all, and people who pride themselves in thinking pragmatically may shun it because of that), but it makes clear that we'd like to have a name which people who don't know or care whether these things are part of the desktop, the window manager or whatever still feel like this is something they might want to have a look at.

A problem is that the KWin effects (or plugins, to be precise) are quite a diverse bunch: From actual "eye candy" to things that support overview (e.g. Present Window or Desktop Grid) to accessibility helpers (Magnifier, Track Mouse) to purely technical stuff like Show FPS. While I'd personally prefer to have things like accessibility helpers split out and put together with other accessibility settings, this is for a later stage as it would require quite some code rework to implement.
I find Desktop Effects misleading since users may expect only things directly related to the desktop (such as desktop switching or taskbar thumbnails) there. The KWin maintainer suggested - not really seriously, he added later - "Windowing System Plugins", which of course is too technical.

So does someone have a suggestion for a name that does not need to be precise, but give the correct impression of what the module is about and is as non-technical as possible in order to invite everyone?
lazyit
Registered Member
OS
maybe, special effect, is simple and translate good in all language, is generic...
Although in my opinion, the current name is now in common use, and users know what it is ...
davidwright
Registered Member
OS
As I suggested in the other thread: "Special FX"
Kubuntiac
Registered Member
I would suggest "Visual Effects". Using the word "special" is ambiguous. All of the effects we're talking about are visual though.
pepedopolous
Registered Member
OS
+ 1 for 'Visual Effects'

I think everyone can understand that some 'visual effects' can be purely for show whilst others have useful functions.

P
colomar
Registered Member
OS
Interestingly, "Visual Effects" was what came to my mind first as well and I've already suggested it to the KWin maintainer Martin Gräßlin, but he replied that some effects are not strictly visual. Now that you seem to agree that this is a fitting name, too, I think I'll give it another shot :)
kdeuserk
Registered Member
Apart from the Name:

I think we will need more vertical space before and after the "Headings".
Do you agree?
There is no need to squeeze it.
colomar
Registered Member
OS
kdeuserk wrote:I think we will need more vertical space before and after the "Headings".
Do you agree?
There is no need to squeeze it.

Oh, it actually looks quite different now. Here's the current status: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/media/u ... ffects.png
alake
Registered Member
OS
colomar wrote:Oh, it actually looks quite different now. Here's the current status: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/media/u ... ffects.png

Ooh nice, much better. Happy to see the change. :-)

I know they may have been working on the idea of having a common large typeface for headers, but perhaps that might not have been the best place to employ it. Large typefaces really do need the breathing room to work well. There may be other opportunities throughout the workspace to improve header distinction and consistency with a common, not-quite-so-large, yet still distinct typeface.
lazyit
Registered Member
OS

@alake
What you think about this white tipology of backgrouns in this case?
http://aranzulla.tecnologia.virgilio.it ... ipad13.jpg
is much eye candy and corner is more rounded and soft line
Dont copy but similar look very nice and change completly the style of windows, only my opinion :)