This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Consideration about Artwork Next Pack

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
colomar
Registered Member
OS
alake wrote:I'm half inclined to make a version for Plasma Current with the backgrounds adjusted to approximate how they might look on Plasma Next

Oh, that would be awesome to get more useful test results!
dequire
Registered Member
OS
colomar wrote:
alake wrote:I'm half inclined to make a version for Plasma Current with the backgrounds adjusted to approximate how they might look on Plasma Next

Oh, that would be awesome to get more useful test results!

+1
alake
Registered Member
OS
Ok, since you guys asked so nicely! :-)

The plasma theme from the pack, but with the translucent backgrounds adjusted to sorta approximate on Plasma Current what we're targeting on Plasma Next:

http://goo.gl/SWWG2O

Select File>Download to download the file. (This will obviously look terrible on Plasma Next).
colomar
Registered Member
OS
Awesome, now I can read text on Plasma elements again :) Thanks!
lazyit
Registered Member
OS
Again on the new plasma theme
icon only Task manager Vs Classic task manager
So, as I said, I really like the look of the new theme of the plasma, including the classic look of the Task manager that is an essential element of this. But I wanted to make some suggestions. I am now for a couple of years of use Chakra default Icon Only Task manager (who looks a little bit to Unity and a bit to Windows 7) First of all, as you can see from the screen below, I would like that the lines over the task of programs instead of always would take the blue color of the icon as well as Task Manager Icon is ...
Obviously, only the line, not all of the tasks.

In addition, I would like to show you the preview of Icon Only Task manager, which compared to that of the Classic is made better, with the option to close the program with the X in the upper right, and buttons for multimedia programs such as VLC.
Icon Only preview:
Classic Preview

In addition Icon Only Task, at least on KDE 4 is much more fluid and responsive Classic task manager.
So my idea would be to maintain the classic Task Manager as the default, but to improve it following the example of Only Task manager, or better yet get the best of both code and make one, maybe with the possibility of having more ways in settings.

So my idea would be to maintain the classic Task Manager as the default, but to improve it following the example of Only Task manager, or better yet get the best of both code and make one, maybe with the possibility of having more ways in settings
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ic ... ent=144808
rumangerst
Registered Member
OS
I really would like to see an option of default task manager to disable text and add all necessary features to it to make a icon task manager (like lazyit said), so I don't have to use IconTasks.
Also:
  • Add an option to group all tasks automatically
  • <= [From IconTasks] Pinned programs should not look too different from running tasks if icon task mode is activated
  • <= From icontasks] Add an option set the gap/distance between tasks

I also found out how to make these new Plasma-Next indicators better. Currently, a "plus" sign is shown in IconTasks using plasma theme if there's a group, classic task manager shows a little triangle. Why not use the indicator?

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I'm afraid it is a core design decision of the Plasma team that the General Task Manager applet and Icon Tasks are completely separated. That is extremely unlikely to change as far as I know, as it significantly increases the complexity of the code.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
colomar
Registered Member
OS
rumangerst wrote:I really would like to see an option of default task manager to disable text and add all necessary features to it to make a icon task manager (like lazyit said), so I don't have to use IconTasks.

What would be the advantage of that? What's wrong with IconTasks? I see the big advantage of Plasma in it's flexibility to simply replace Plasmoids instead of having all the different variants in a single Plasmoid. Of course when an easier way to switch Plasmoids for a specific function (see my blog post on this: http://sessellift.wordpress.com/2014/02 ... of-choice/ ) is implemented, that should be less of a burden.
lazyit
Registered Member
OS
colomar wrote:
rumangerst wrote:I really would like to see an option of default task manager to disable text and add all necessary features to it to make a icon task manager (like lazyit said), so I don't have to use IconTasks.

What would be the advantage of that? What's wrong with IconTasks? I see the big advantage of Plasma in it's flexibility to simply replace Plasmoids instead of having all the different variants in a single Plasmoid. Of course when an easier way to switch Plasmoids for a specific function (see my blog post on this: http://sessellift.wordpress.com/2014/02 ... of-choice/ ) is implemented, that should be less of a burden.

The advantage would be that everyone has little things that are missing, that instead of the other one, I understand that melt 2 applications is difficult, in fact just wondered to import a few features to make the best Classic, but if you tell me that it is too complicated , no problem, I just jot ideas, if you can not you can not :)
colomar
Registered Member
OS
lazyit wrote:The advantage would be that everyone has little things that are missing, that instead of the other one, I understand that melt 2 applications is difficult, in fact just wondered to import a few features to make the best Classic, but if you tell me that it is too complicated , no problem, I just jot ideas, if you can not you can not :)

I'm not a developer so I don't know how complicated it is technically. I just think that it makes more sense to have two Plasmoids for things that rare so different both visually and interaction-wise instead of adding options for everything.
If many people would need a combination of features from both, though, that would indeed be a good argument for your position.
On the other hand, if the devs say it would make the code too complex, then it's probably best not to do it, since complex code usually brings bugs with it.
brand
Registered Member
OS
alake wrote:My best guess about the Aurorae windec bug is that the rc file that accompanies the windec (and which specifies button spacing, padding for shadows and the like) is not being read by Aurorae in some installations.

workarround for Aurorae windeco (It works in debian):

rename "plasma-next-aurorae/Next-0.008rc" in "plasma-next-aurorae/plasma-next-auroraerc"

As Jens says though, the main point was to evaluate the plasma theme. (I'm half inclined to make a version for Plasma Current with the backgrounds adjusted to approximate how they might look on Plasma Next). So, nice if we find the Aurorae theme bug, but not crucial. (The final windec won't be Aurorae anyway).
colomar
Registered Member
OS
brand wrote:rename "plasma-next-aurorae/Next-0.008rc" in "plasma-next-aurorae/plasma-next-auroraerc"

Yep, that did the trick on my Manjaro installation, too! I'll ask Alan to fix it for the next theme back release!