This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Consideration about Artwork Next Pack

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lazyit
Registered Member
OS
As you can see from the screenshot, yesterday I immediately tried the new Plasma Pack Next, thanks to Jens for this gift :)
I would now like to make some observations that I hope will help:
Plasma Theme:
The theme of the plasma is the main thing and I believe that the package closer to reality. I must say that I love him already, I really like the idea of colored lines, the colored line is the real news, minimalist and elegant at the same time.Strong design feature :)

Tip:
Maybe you could change the color of the lines instead of always blue, the same as the color of the icon, for exemple if I open Opera the line is red, if I open VLC the orange line is, if I open Dolphin blue, this would match well to the mockup the new cursor and the wallpaper too :)

Bug ?
Maybe on KDE 4 theme is too transparent (perhaps on Plasma next is more opaque) I have tried with different backgrounds but especially the writings are difficult to read. Perhaps it would highlight the separation between the two windows.
I would leave only the writing of the name of the program manager in the process, because otherwise the lettering are cut off, that looks really bad

this is all for now
colomar
Registered Member
OS
Ah, it seems like I'm not the only one where the Aurorae theme is broken.

Lines adapting to the icon color would be similar to what Windows 7 does when hovering over a taskbar item. I like the idea there, but I don't know how difficult this is to implement and how good it would look.
lazyit
Registered Member
OS
colomar wrote:Ah, it seems like I'm not the only one where the Aurorae theme is broken.

Lines adapting to the icon color would be similar to what Windows 7 does when hovering over a taskbar item. I like the idea there, but I don't know how difficult this is to implement and how good it would look.

I have fix the Aurore problem now, whit space to right, no best fix but is better :)
for the processes manager, I usually use icon Only task manager that changes color depending on the color of the icon.
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ic ... ent=144808
lazyit
Registered Member
OS
Ah, please change the moon in shoot down system whit kde logo o distro logo :)
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
Well the point is to test the actual plasma theme not so much the Aurorae theme. It seems as if it works good on Mint and Kubuntu but nowhere else... weird.

About the close-down artwork and the clock. The issue is that a certain Swedish mustachio-wearing illustrator (not mentioning names but his ends in "ens" and starts with a "J") promised he would do it and have yet to deliver - he is being flogged as we speak ;)
(in clear text - "I'm doing it! I'm doing it! Stop yelling at me!" :) )

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
pedrorodriguez
Registered Member
OS
The plasma theme is looking really good. When monochrome icons arrive it's going to be great. I don't know if you looked at this @jensreuterberg, but the virtual desktop switcher, CPU/RAM monitor and disk space monitor could use a little more love. It's hard to distinguish them from the background.

Keep up the good work
colomar
Registered Member
OS
pedrorodriguez wrote:I don't know if you looked at this @jensreuterberg, but the virtual desktop switcher, CPU/RAM monitor and disk space monitor could use a little more love. It's hard to distinguish them from the background.

This might be because the theme was optimized for using a specific blur effect that's available in Plasma Next but not in Plasma Current. In Plasma Next, everything looks much less transparent.

@lazyit: Could you please run "kwin --version" and post the result? We're trying to figure out if the broken Aurorae theme is a regression in KWin.
lazyit
Registered Member
OS
ahahah Jens and about the color line in plasma theme?
what you think about the different color similar to icon color?
Is good idea?
would give a splash of liveliness for technicolor artwork: D
lazyit
Registered Member
OS
@colomar
Code: Select all
[lazy@chakra-pc ~]$ kwin --version
Qt: 4.8.5
Piattaforma di sviluppo KDE: 4.12.2
KWin: 4.11.6
[lazy@chakra-pc ~]$
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
@pedrorodriguez
Well this is thing:

Monochrome icons (The Awesome Icon Theme) is a project ment to be used as a resource for App-devs and Widget devs. Not a complete icon theme (or at least not what I assumed but heck... we can try adding app icons, no ones stopping us :) ). There is a new icon theme being made by Uri Herrera, Acidrum and Nuno but that won't be monochrome for applications (some bits will be, like arrows and stuff like that (mimetypes etc).

The point being that by creating a set of icons (the Awesome theme), then using them as a unified resource for all and more importantly present them in a nice good way (with perhaps a tutorial on how to create icons or edit themes) we can make every user feel more comfortable adding and creating their own design ideas and also make devs feel more in comfortable in their roles as designers (since every app can't have a designer on standby).
I thought that going through the entire design process this way, writing up a nice wiki on it (properly writing it up so its accessible) we can all win out and everyone gain from it.

Keep up the good work

Thank you :)

pepedopolous
Registered Member
OS
Maybe you could change the color of the lines instead of always blue, the same as the color of the icon, for exemple if I open Opera the line is red, if I open VLC the orange line is, if I open Dolphin blue, this would match well to the mockup the new cursor and the wallpaper too :)

This is possible I think as the Icon Tasks widget has this option for the colour of the widget background.

P
colomar
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, lazyit! Hm, doesn't seem to be a version issue, then. Still don't know why it's broken for you and me, but works fine for Jens and Andrew...
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
Well like I told Lazit on G+ it works (it doesn't have that bug) but for some reason, on the desktop the shadows sometimes remain behind... And they are both running Linux Mint so thats strange.

lazyit
Registered Member
OS
maybe in Arch based have .kde4 folder and not .kde but maybe is stupid suggestion i don't know why
@colomar maybe talk about this whit andrea scarpino arch/kde master :)
alake
Registered Member
OS
My best guess about the Aurorae windec bug is that the rc file that accompanies the windec (and which specifies button spacing, padding for shadows and the like) is not being read by Aurorae in some installations.

As Jens says though, the main point was to evaluate the plasma theme. (I'm half inclined to make a version for Plasma Current with the backgrounds adjusted to approximate how they might look on Plasma Next). So, nice if we find the Aurorae theme bug, but not crucial. (The final windec won't be Aurorae anyway).