This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

VDG Mockup Toolkit available

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alake
Registered Member
OS

VDG Mockup Toolkit available

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 pm
A mock-up toolkit is now available for our little group here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usabil ... kupToolkit

A couple notes:
  • Nothing in the toolkit should be intuited to be the final visual design for any part of the KDE Applications or Workspace. That remains a Work-In-Progress and the toolkit is likely to be among the last things updated to reflect that.
  • But it should hopefully help us put together mockups of our design ideas with a general mood that is in line with the overall direction.
  • Don't feel compelled to use this toolkit for mock-ups if you're more comfortable with other tools. Use what makes most sense to you!

Hope this helps you with your mockups and feel free to ask questions if you need help or to make suggestions.

Happy designing!

P.S. Could an admin sticky this so it's easy to find?
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: VDG Mockup Toolkit available

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:11 pm
Awesome, great job! I've stickied the topic.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
bjoernbalazs
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:31 am
Great work! Thanks!
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:19 pm
Excellent work!

One question though: I noticed in the example mockups that sidebars are more often used than it's currently the case e.g. in what I think is Kickoff and Dolphin (or some unnamed file manager). I know that everything is still work-in-progress, but it would be nice to know if the VDG plans to go into this direction in future.
I ask because I indended to make the suggestion to always place search bars on top of the content view, because the search button was mostly located at the top of the application. If we will use sidebars more often in future that will be questionable, of course.
alake
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:14 pm
Please don't let the mockup examples constrain any suggestions or ideas you want to share. Just share away. :-)

(As for the "sidebars" in those mockup examples, feel free to start a topic on Search and Layout, or post to an existing topic with your ideas along with any questions you have about the mockup examples and I'll chime in there).
lucashappy
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:25 pm
Thank you, amazing job! I'm anxious to use it!
donK23
Registered Member
OS

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 am
Excellent work - Thank you! :)
Looking forward to the definitive icons to make the sketches more realistic.
industrie13
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:27 pm
On the mentioned site there is an Inkscape Color Swatch ... could you provide the Plasma Colours in another Format too, e.g. as .eps, .ai or just a plain .svg? Or are they already available somewhere else?
alake
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:18 pm
industrie13 wrote:On the mentioned site there is an Inkscape Color Swatch ... could you provide the Plasma Colours in another Format too, e.g. as .eps, .ai or just a plain .svg? Or are they already available somewhere else?

The colors are also available in human readable form in the HIG color guidelines here: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Color

Maybe I'll also add a simple group of rectangles to the mockup kit svg, each with the fill color corresponding to the color palette. Would that be useful?
industrie13
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:16 pm
Yeah, that would be great. ;)

Thanks.
mous16
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:44 am
Is it possible to have a vectorial version of the background used? Or, at least, a svg with the sketch?
I know this question is not directly related to mokup-making, but I really love that background, and I would like to make an animated version.
alake
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:30 pm
Nuno is the creator of that background so I recommend contacting him for the source. :-)
asevens
Registered Member

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:17 pm
I like it pretty much, but the tabs look like the Gnome tabs with that blue color on the active tab.
alake
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 11, 2014 3:51 pm
The mockup toolkit has been updated with the latest UI controls design, window decoration design and a few action icons from Uri.
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 13, 2014 2:10 pm
alake wrote:The mockup toolkit has been updated with the latest UI controls design, window decoration design and a few action icons from Uri.

Excellent work! :D