This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Design Help Needed] Plasma Media Center strings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nikhatzi
Registered Member
Hello everybody!

My name is Nick and I would like some advice on string formatting. I proposed a change for Plasma Media Center (PMC) and I'd like some feedback about it to decide what is best. I noticed that the menu strings are not uniform. In some strings all words start with capital leter, in others only the first word starts with capital letter as shown below:

The best is all strings to have the same formatting. So my question is: To make the application gui more uniform, should all words in a menu string start with capital letter, or only the first word? Thank you in advance for your time.
colomar
Registered Member
OS
There is an Human Interface Guideline for capitalization:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usabil ... talization

It says that title capitalization should be used - among other things - for button labels and menu items. Though the PMC UI is "special", I'd still consider those either button labels or menu items, so according to the HIG, title style capitalization should be used (i.e. all words other than prepositions, conjunctions and articles should be capitalized).
dequire
Registered Member
OS
I would agree - I prefer all caps for menu items.
nikhatzi
Registered Member
Ok ppl! Thank you for the replies, I'll make a patch and upload it for review. :)