This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

VDG Roadmap

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lazyit
Registered Member
OS

VDG Roadmap

Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:02 pm
This topic stems from a discussion I had with jensreuterberg on G+
I apologize for the English but I use GTranslate, if you do not understand something ask!
Recently in the forum, I have seen a considerable increase in the flow of people and ideas, which is a wonderful thing, for this project, and that is what ch esi want, rather we want more.
But at the same time, this made me think that indeed, are many things to do, this is where there is a large flow of ideas, but it seems a bit all very confusing.
So I thought it would be nice to have a sort of roadmap on what to do step by step, so you have pointed the focus on a few things at a time and not all at once. This would be useful to have a vision of where you go, and let you know where it is best to focus your energy, step by step. So maybe a roadmap, such as KDE Schedule for the Visual Design Team could be useful, a kind of compass for sailors.
Fast Exemple:
Plasma 2 (First release):Plasma Theme and hicons
Second Step: Qt Widget Style and maybe polishing plasmoids most common
step 3: System Settings and various KCM modules
step 4:Software application (Multimedia)
step5: Software Application (Internet)
step 6:Software Application (Education)
etc.
this is only fast exemple I hope you get the idea.
You might as well make a page, write to those who deal with everything, with a progress bar
What do you think?
pedrorodriguez
Registered Member
OS

Re: VDG Roadmap

Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:08 pm
Yes. This could be very useful, especially for small very concrete tasks. Small contributions are the easiest to get people started, or for the casual contributor. Eventually the design planning could resemble the way the devs organise a release: feature proposals, freezes, RCs, etc.
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:58 pm
I agree that it makes sense to have a roadmap. It should just provide guidance, though. People should be encouraged to focus on the current step on the roadmap, but ideas on things which are part of future (or even previous) roadmap steps should continue to be welcome.

I'd like to brainstorm on it here and then present it to the whole KDE community and discuss it with the others before using it, because all the nice ideas we produce won't change anything until we get developers to implement them, so we should not plan without them.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:01 pm
There are some pretty concrete things that we should write down - I've gotten a lot of questions about the difference between the VDG and the KDE Design Community and there are things that at the moment may be happening behind closed doors and we've tried to minimize that (some things are stuff devs want to keep a bit quiet for now but beyond that the idea is to be as open and inclusive as humanly possible)

But a roadmap should really get going - what we're aiming for, where we're going and how etc.

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:54 pm
Ok So this is the deal:

Lets look at what needs to be done and when - but restrict ourselves to the most panicky things but without the exact time table... and lets talk about it from there...

A1: Plasma Theme, Widget Theme, Window Theme.
This is almost done, except the DARK theme which we will need help with - if anyone feel like helping out we will start an open thread and show the work done by Marco Martin.

A2: Icons
This means an entire new icon suite - at one point we will open up the work of Uri, Acidrum and Nuno - I just want them to get some bit on the way and then let the wild contribution start (LegnaVI is also high up on the list of people who will/are involved).
The idea with the Awesome Icons is to create a suite of icons that can be used by devs as a library of icons for their application. This work is well underway and more or less done which is awesome.

A3: New widget theme, either migrating the widget theme from Qtcurve to the next widget theme or figure out how to use ONLY Qtcurve for the window theme.
If we choose the latter that means that we intend to migrate to Qtcurve with all the issues involved in that (trying to get a hold of Craig Grant (?) the designer of Qtcurve and figuring out the technical issues of it).

A4: wallpapers and images
We need to start hunting for cool wallpaper designs. There are some guidelines for that ready to be set up soon. There are also some graphical elements that needs to be set.

Then checking the other bits, the Not so panicky but still close enough to be relevant to delve into:

B1: Font
As you guys might have heard we're gonna force the oxygen font a tad (that doesn't mean "force" as in "you have to use it" - just that it will be preselected for distro's and they have to actively switch to another font for there to be any change. The issue is that the font has moved into another version. There are some technical details in that area that needs to be solved and Sebastian Kügler (who's on vacation right now) has started talking to the font designer (who has migrated it from "Oxygen" name to "Comme") and anyone who feel like they can do some fontwork as well as some technical work - perhaps a team? So if we find one of each we can set up an action group.

B2: Visual Presence
This is one of those tricky bits - we need to hammer out a good visual design language for marketing and promo's. That means videos, animation and layout design as well as photos and illustrations for it. We kinda need a suite of that tbh - so if you're an illustrator we should start talking about that (perhaps check in the Krita forums?)

B3: Application Design
This is one of those big kahuuna's! We need to start looking at the base Applications (System Settings, Email, Browser, Filemanager) and see how they can be edited to best suite users while staying true to the design language AND in constant communication with the App-devs (obviously). But we also need to look at other applications and redesign work for it. I suggest checking out the Krita Icon thread on how that work can look.

B4: Cursor Redesign
This is essentially done already we just need to have a larger debate about it and what to be used.

Then comes to exciting bits that are far off

C1: New desktop layout design!
Well this is one of those scary bits - there are plenty of plans for it already in the works but the idea is that we should all pitch in. There are a few rules though: 1) it has to be something you can shut-off. The user should always be in control and the layout something they can revert back into the classic look. 2) No more rules. The goal is to see how the desktop can be improved for the user - one of the points here is to move the desktop away from the user, make it something that exists in the periphery of the users field of view so he or she can concentrate on the things they do on the desktop.

C2: New Applications Needed!
Self explanatory - are there new apps needed? Something that has never been done before? Something for all?

C3: How to make the work continuous in the future!
This is one of the last one. How do we keep working? How do we reach the perfect goal of a design community? How will it be set up so that the work continuous? To make certain that the work isn't hingent on any one person?

davidwright
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:57 pm
The idea with the Awesome Icons is to create a suite of icons that can be used by devs as a library of icons for their application. This work is well underway and more or less done which is awesome.

I've done a few, but that's about it. I don't know if anybody else is still creating them, unless you know something I don't :|

I could probably do more, but I've got to the point now where I need to modify the actual SVGs rather than combining one or two of them together, but I can't work out how to do it as the parts seem to be stuck together.

Need to really do a github for the project as well.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:58 pm
Ah click the thing you want to edit and then click "ungroup" which is under the menu "object" I think

davidwright
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:45 pm
Hmm, doesn't seem to work. The whole thing is made out of nodes if that makes sense?

Also, I didn't mean to put :| in my previous post. I'm not a :| kind of guy! I was aiming for :P . Serves me right for not proof reading!
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:01 pm
Ok we're starting a "Help thread for Inkscape" right now :)

colomar
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:06 pm
davidwright wrote:

A github could work as a start, but in the medium term, the icons should go into KDE's git repo. If you don't have a developer account yet, you can get one created for you.
donK23
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:34 pm
davidwright wrote:

A repo would be fine - because the GDrive directory doesn't look much populated ;)

If you need help with some icons, give me list of which you need to get processed (here or via PM) and I'll give my best to modify some of them.