This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Design Help Needed] Battery Monitor black and white icons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kbroulik
KDE Developer
OS
Hi all,

overall I am still quite satisfied with the Battery Monitor's looks, especially with the subtle changes in Plasma Next. However, given the Network Manager is now using beautiful black and white icons for its connections, the colorful Oxygen non-Plasma'ish icons used look rather out of place.

So I'd like to revamp the battery monitor looks a tiny bit using VDG-crafted beautiful black and white icons. :)

Needed for the battery monitor are:

For the main interface
- Screen brightness (could probably use the brightness icon in the OSD? super-cool would also be different steps so the icon also reflects the brightness)
- Keyboard brightness

Various battery types:
- Standard battery. I think the percentage (the blocks inside the battery) should still be colored (Plasma-blue/theme color). From empty (red?) to full, and with a charge indicator (plug, flash, whatever). Currently the flash indicates the AC is plugged in, whereas a flashing battery indicates it is actually charging. If you have a better idea how to represent this distinction, go ahead. ;)
- Mouse. For the peripherals I think just showing an icon is sufficient. Except if you really want to do the extra-work you could provide percentage indicators for these too o) )
- Keyboard
- UPS (Uninterruptible power supply)
- Monitor (at least Solid claims to be able to have this)
- Pda and Phone (dunno what the difference here is and I guess we can use the same icon for both?)

If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to ask or send me an E-Mail to kde at privat dot broulik dot de
Thanks in advance and keep up the awesome work!
alake
Registered Member
OS
I apologize profusely for overlooking this request kbroulik.

How about we work to get together to get this going? I'll work over the next few days to get some icons together. If anyone else here wants to pitch in speak up! I notice that we're using a new icon in the panel:

I quite like it. Any objections to using that as a foundation for the other icons?

Once again, I apologize on behalf of the VDG for missing this request.
colomar
Registered Member
OS
alake wrote:I notice that we're using a new icon in the panel:

I quite like it. Any objections to using that as a foundation for the other icons?

Do you know what the rationale behind abandoning the battery metaphor was? I mean, yes, actual laptop batteries don't look like that, but people immediately associate something that looks like an alkaline battery with "battery", so why shouldn't we keep that?
kbroulik
KDE Developer
OS
Hi,

Alex Fiestas also came up with the idea of not showing a battery icon in the monitor itself but rather a laptop icon instead which I find rather nice actually.

Also I will drop the expanding thing and move that information into a tooltip to get an even sleeker design.

Cheers.
kbroulik
KDE Developer
OS
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
Alake:
I just gotta finish two things (freelance work and the blogpost) and then I'm in on this after dinner tonight. Would love to do some icons.

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
alake
Registered Member
OS
jensreuterberg wrote:Alake:
I just gotta finish two things (freelance work and the blogpost) and then I'm in on this after dinner tonight. Would love to do some icons.

Sounds good Jens. Holler if you need any help!
enoop
Registered Member
The circle battery icon has become pretty popular on custom android roms like cyanogenmod. It's a personal aesthetic choice, but I think that the little thunderbolt should be black like the rest of the icon, or, if possible, show the percent of battery left.
kbroulik
KDE Developer
OS
enoop wrote: I think that the little thunderbolt should be black like the rest of the icon
Iirc it's black when it's charging.
enoop wrote: or, if possible, show the percent of battery left.
I removed that in 4.11 but with the new icon it would really make sense to bring back (and as a default) - though it might break other themes then?
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
alake wrote:I apologize profusely for overlooking this request kbroulik.

How about we work to get together to get this going? I'll work over the next few days to get some icons together. If anyone else here wants to pitch in speak up! I notice that we're using a new icon in the panel:

Once again, I apologize on behalf of the VDG for missing this request.

I'm interested in helping out. However, I guess it would be nice to know how the VDG has decided icons to look like i.e. how thick lines should be etc.
alake
Registered Member
OS
Just a quick ping to see how this is progressing. Jens? I'm happy to chip in to get this done if it's helpful.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
Not very much I'm afraid. I've been swamped beyond belief and it's midnight now. Give me until lunch tomorrow

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
alake
Registered Member
OS
Thanks so much for your patience on this kbroulik.

Ok, so for the screen and keyboard brightness icons, yes I recommend using the OSD icons for now.

These are the battery icons in a little mockup (don't worry about the absence of the standard status sidebar)

This, as promised, honors the current battery icon design, which works quite well I think:

Thanks again for your patience kbroulik. If this looks ok, let me know and I'll send over the assets.

Edit: Discussed with kbroulik, who has accepted the design. The assets will be submitted.
alake
Registered Member
OS
A quick update for anyone following here; the new icons have been submitted and are now fully integrated with the battery monitor. :-)
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
These icons look very good in action alake, good job! :)