This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Splash

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
xiorone
Registered Member
OS

KDE Splash

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:19 am
The idea is to create a modern, simple and clean KDE Splash for "Plasma Next". Using QML as a programming language.
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Re: KDE Splash

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:28 am
There already is work on that happening :)
I guess Jens or Andrew can say something about it, since they're working on it. Ideas are always wlecome, though, of course!
pbCyanide
Registered Member

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 am
what about making the background of the splash screen the same as your desktop wallpaper, just blurred ? and making that background the same in kdm... IDK, just an idea...
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:24 pm
Yes ok so - Andrew has made a new login screen - with that comes the idea that the splash should be a prolongment of the login screen instead of something new popping up. My idea was essentially that the splash should reveal the desktop BUT that would be tricky since then the desktop or the wallpaper would have to be picked up "mid-load" and even though it was doable, they felt that it wouldn't not be doable right now.

So until then we are doing a smaller more simplistic version that will work as a prolongment of the login.

I'll try to post screenshots etc tonight or tomorrow so you guys can see it - hopefully David Edmundson have a screencast of it by then.

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:45 pm
pbCyanide wrote:what about making the background of the splash screen the same as your desktop wallpaper, just blurred ? and making that background the same in kdm... IDK, just an idea...

The problem with using the desktop wallpaper for login is that at the point of login, we don't know yet which user will log in, so the login background can't automatically use any user's wallpaper
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:55 pm
colomar wrote:
pbCyanide wrote:what about making the background of the splash screen the same as your desktop wallpaper, just blurred ? and making that background the same in kdm... IDK, just an idea...

The problem with using the desktop wallpaper for login is that at the point of login, we don't know yet which user will log in, so the login background can't automatically use any user's wallpaper

Unity's LightDM theme simply uses the preselected user's wallpaper as default and changes it accordingly if one selects another user.
xiorone
Registered Member
OS

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:48 pm
I've been working on a Splash, I think I could improve the art (wallpapers, icons, etc) , more chord with the next version of KDE, and improve the animations. Be possible with QML welcome the authenticated user from the splash?

You're link is:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Modern+KDE+4+Splash+Screen?content=163449
scummos
Global Moderator
OS

Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:32 pm
Make startup so fast that no splash is needed! ;)

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:22 pm
xiorone wrote:I've been working on a Splash, I think I could improve the art (wallpapers, icons, etc) , more chord with the next version of KDE, and improve the animations. Be possible with QML welcome the authenticated user from the splash?

You're link is:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Modern+KDE+4+Splash+Screen?content=163449

Oh, you're the author of this, I already saw it on Google+ today :)
I like the way it looks, though it is another example that our brands aren't communicated clearly enough:
- There probably won't be a "KDE Software Collection 5", and even if there will be, Plasma Next will not be a part of it. It should just say "Plasma", because that's the only constant ("Plasma Next")
- And "KDE", according to our official branding, isn't the desktop environment, but the community behind it.

Suggestion: When we have a proper logo for Plasma Next (it's in the works), replace the KDE logo with that and write Plasma next to it (unless the full logo contains thr word Plasma), then write "Welcome to Plasma by KDE, the most modern desktop environment" below
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Very nice. Even the old KDE icon fits nicely :)

As for the text in the splash screen - I don't remember the exact story behind it, but it was removed a long time ago (3.x era) because it was hard to do properly due to internationalization (loading a different language and stuff).

Maybe someone has a better memory than me.

xiorone
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:19 pm
Hello friends,
Logo next KDE plasma was added, I welcome your comments.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=163449
Tuukka
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:01 pm
I don't know if it's appropriate to use the name "Plasma Next" in the splash screen, because "Next" is supposed to always refer to an unreleased version of Plasma. From a dot story:
The code name "Plasma Next" always points to the upcoming release of Plasma, KDE's end user workspace. The current Alpha will become 2014.6, to be released in June of this year. If the team opts for a 6 month release cycle (still to be determined), Plasma Next will refer to the 2014.12 release once 2014.6 is out.

So I guess it should say Plasma 2014.6...
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:03 pm
Unless you plan to update it with every release anyway, I'd just stick with "Plasma", because that's the only constant
edmael
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:05 pm
colomar wrote:Unless you plan to update it with every release anyway, I'd just stick with "Plasma", because that's the only constant

Good point.
I'd also avoid anything written except "KDE Plasma" keeping just the "Loading..." at the bottom of the screen.
Keep in mind that this is something that will always have less impact due to the SSD and the great improvement in the startup times so I suggest to keep this clean and plain since there's a big canche that most users are never going to read that anyway.

Except for that, good work, keep it up!
anditosan
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:32 pm
I think the ksplash loader needs to be more conceptual and stripped down. I say this because having or keeping the current default sometimes does not have the time to show all of its nice presentation. My impression is that as computers get more powerful, the current animation simply has no time to shine. Therefore, it is probably a better idea to simply give the impression that KDE is loading up. Having individual icons for, hard drive, files, icons, what have you, I think simple adds complexity that should probably not be there. Here are some examples of what I am thinking

I think it also adds a lot more for flat design

https://dribbble.com/shots/946595-App-l ... -animation
https://dribbble.com/shots/1136439-Litt ... loader-GIF