This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Konqui graphics

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Konqui graphics

Thu May 22, 2014 9:04 am
Hi all,
the "about kde" dialog is still as it was in kde4, with an old konqui done in blender,
since a new one was cosen, an image of the new konqui of the same resolution should be put there instead:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335165
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Re: Konqui graphics

Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 am
Could you please state a bit more specifically what the task for this community is?
Thanks!
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Thu May 22, 2014 9:55 am
colomar wrote:Could you please state a bit more specifically what the task for this community is?
Thanks!

this:
http://wstaw.org/m/2014/05/22/plasma-desktopya1402.png

the bug report has a point, if that dialog keeps the image, and since the official dragon is changed, the image should be updated
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 22, 2014 10:45 am
So the VDG is supposed to modify the existing images of the new Konqi in a way that it fits well into the About dialog?
Wouldn't it make sense to ask the winner of the contest to do it himself?
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 am
colomar wrote:So the VDG is supposed to modify the existing images of the new Konqi in a way that it fits well into the About dialog?
Wouldn't it make sense to ask the winner of the contest to do it himself?

sure
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS

Mon May 26, 2014 8:59 pm
I really like the group picture presented in the winning konqi-artwork. I think that would fit perfectly, too. It's such a lovely idea, but not used often within KDE software.
Has anybody contacted the author already? If not, I'd do it tomorrow.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Mon May 26, 2014 9:06 pm
Sogatori wrote:I really like the group picture presented in the winning konqi-artwork. I think that would fit perfectly, too. It's such a lovely idea, but not used often within KDE software.

yeah, woul work very well topic-wise.
probably a bit too much square for the place has to be put into tough, so may be needed some adjustments.
Sogatori wrote:Has anybody contacted the author already? If not, I'd do it tomorrow.

nope, got sidetracked, sorry :p
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS

Mon May 26, 2014 9:10 pm
notmart wrote:nope, got sidetracked, sorry :p

Ok then, I'll do it :)
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Mon May 26, 2014 10:19 pm
Awesome Sogatori.

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
tysontan
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 27, 2014 1:04 am
Hi everybody. Sogatori contacted me about the picture in KDE about window, and I'm more than glad to help.

However, if the picture must be the same size as the old one, I don't think it is possible for us to simply _adjust_ the way through. I can draw a new picture with a vertical composition.

Since there isn't much space to play with, I suggest we keep only a few members in the new picture: A software engineer dragon, an artist dragon, a writer dragon, a translator dragon, a facilitator dragon and of course Konqui himself. These members are chosen because they are described in the About message. The writer and translator are girls, so we don't need to include Katie who is the same color as Konqui.

What do you guys think?

Please also tell me the exact size of the required picture, thanks.

:)
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 27, 2014 11:23 am
tysontan wrote:Hi everybody. Sogatori contacted me about the picture in KDE about window, and I'm more than glad to help.

However, if the picture must be the same size as the old one, I don't think it is possible for us to simply _adjust_ the way through. I can draw a new picture with a vertical composition.

Since there isn't much space to play with, I suggest we keep only a few members in the new picture: A software engineer dragon, an artist dragon, a writer dragon, a translator dragon, a facilitator dragon and of course Konqui himself. These members are chosen because they are described in the About message. The writer and translator are girls, so we don't need to include Katie who is the same color as Konqui.

What do you guys think?

Please also tell me the exact size of the required picture, thanks.

:)

I asked in IRC and was told that the current picture is 150x250, though the devs said that they could fix adapt the dialogue if you'd prefer some other size.

I like your idea, could we maybe have a design dragon that annoys the developer dragon? o) ;)

Last edited by Sogatori on Tue May 27, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidwright
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 27, 2014 5:29 pm
Could we not have a image slide show instead that loops between the different characters? Or perhaps make the image change when you change tabs?
tysontan
Registered Member
OS

Fri May 30, 2014 7:20 am
Sogatori wrote:I asked in IRC and was told that the current picture is 150x250, though the devs said that they could fix adapt the dialogue if you'd prefer some other size.

If we are going to change the picture composition to horizontal, I suggest we can place the dragons on the right side of the "KDE be free" title text above the description text. @davidwright 's Slide show idea sounds cool, but I want to keep the "group" feeling of the about picture.

So you guys decide which way to go - If you want keep it vertical, I will draw a new picture with vertical composition; and if you want to change the layout to horizontal, I will adjust the current group picture so it includes only the first row of the dragons.

http://tysontan.deviantart.com/art/Konq ... -355790081
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS

Fri May 30, 2014 1:51 pm
tysontan wrote:If we are going to change the picture composition to horizontal, I suggest we can place the dragons on the right side of the "KDE be free" title text above the description text. @davidwright 's Slide show idea sounds cool, but I want to keep the "group" feeling of the about picture.

So you guys decide which way to go - If you want keep it vertical, I will draw a new picture with vertical composition; and if you want to change the layout to horizontal, I will adjust the current group picture so it includes only the first row of the dragons.

http://tysontan.deviantart.com/art/Konq ... -355790081

I think the developer meant that if you find a (slightly) different aspect ration more fitting then they'd adapt the dialogue if were to cause any problem.

Anyway, I personally prefer the vertical layout. I think it fits best without ballooning up the dialogue too much.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Fri May 30, 2014 2:50 pm

I think the developer meant that if you find a (slightly) different aspect ration more fitting then they'd adapt the dialogue if were to cause any problem.

Anyway, I personally prefer the vertical layout. I think it fits best without ballooning up the dialogue too much.[/quote]

the entire dialog can be redesigned in the future.
However, since that dialog is in frameworks that is now frozen to release, if we want to change it for the first release, changes should be minimal, like an image of the same size, maybe with just a few of pixels difference.
if the new fraphics is not adapt to have a version that maintains the old layout, we'll keep the old one for the first release, and then the dialog can be redesigned with calm, but right now the code part is in hard freeze for the late june release.