This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Breeze windec wastes vertical space

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
asent
Registered Member

Breeze windec wastes vertical space

Sat May 24, 2014 10:52 pm
The Breeze windec is very tall, and there's no way to make it slimmer. This wastes space on systems with 16/9 or 16/10 form factors.
einar
Administrator
OS
Please discuss this issue in the Visual Design Group forum. I'll move this topic there.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
How do you mean "very tall"? Or rather in comparison with which other windec? Do you mean when its miximized or when it's not? Can you show screen shots of what you mean, that would really help?

And most importantly - do you have a suggestion on how to fix it? I mean without ruining the design work already done?

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
asent
Registered Member
I am running the Neon5 DVD from May 23. I seem to have a vertical resolution of 768 px. Of these, the Breeze windec takes about 32 px (this is measured with KRuler, so I may be off just a bit, but not much).

32/768 is slightly more than 4% of the entire screen height, including kicker and all.

For comparison, on my main machine I have 900 px vertically, of which 20 px are taken by my Arorae windec (which is Next Round - White Buttons, with the default settings).

For a different comparison, the Oxygen windec, with default settings, also takes about 20 px.

20/900 is a bit more than 2%. This means that Breeze is almost twice as expansive (relative to screen height 768) as Arorae/Next Round or Oxygen (relative to height 900).

It seems to make no difference whether the windows are maximized or not.

As for how to make it slimmer, it seems that the current height is meant to accommodate two elements: the 'close window' button and the window menu button. These two are larger than the other buttons, such as 'minimize', or 'keep above others.' If the two large buttons were made the same size as the rest, then this would make it possible to resize the entire windec and make it take less space.
garthecho
Registered Member
OS
I think that we just need to include code to either resize the close button and app icon with the title height, or include an alternate slim version by default. Here's a reworked slimmer version of the Aurorae theme: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31829917/Breeze-0.023-slim.zip
alake
Registered Member
OS
garthecho wrote:I think that we just need to include code to either resize the close button and app icon with the title height, or include an alternate slim version by default. Here's a reworked slimmer version of the Aurorae theme: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31829917/Breeze-0.023-slim.zip

In the QML implementation of the Breeze window decoration design, the button sizes are configurable and the titlebar height adjusts depending on those button sizes. The intent is for the height of the titlebar to also respond to the window title font size as well. The final C++ implementation will do the same.

Hope this helps address concerns about the window titlebar height. :-)
enoop
Registered Member
Here's a comparison picture of the sizes of the breeze theme with small and medium buttons and oxygen.
http://i.imgur.com/NFLbwCa.png
alake
Registered Member
OS
enoop wrote:Here's a comparison picture of the sizes of the breeze theme with small and medium buttons and oxygen.
http://i.imgur.com/NFLbwCa.png

Thanks enoop. I'll certainly look into squeezing out a little more height from the titlebar design. Note though that generally Breeze is simply a different design from Oxygen. It will have a different use of space in it's visual design and, as a consequence, it will have different titlebar height than Oxygen. Past a certain point there is simply very little to be gained by comparing them. But like I said I'll take a stab at it. :-)
alake
Registered Member
OS
The vertical height on the Aurorae QML Breeze decoration should take up less space now. The change has been committed.
enoop
Registered Member
Seems there is a glitch now when the buttons are set on the smallest size. The title text is not properly centered in the middle of the title bar,
alake
Registered Member
OS
enoop wrote:Seems there is a glitch now when the buttons are set on the smallest size. The title text is not properly centered in the middle of the title bar,

That's a separate issue. The titlebar height responds to button height but not title text height. There is already a bug report for that.
enoop
Registered Member
I think the text is the right size, just not properly centered. If it's already reported, that's good, I was going to file a report today.
asent
Registered Member
The text looks like it's not centered vertically, but rather bottom-aligned or something similar.
alake
Registered Member
OS
The bug for the title text issue has now been resolved.