This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Design Help Needed] Muon Discover design

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
apol
Registered Member
OS
Kver wrote:Love the direction this is moving, and here's my $0.02;

The large shadow / dark gradient in the background is extremely odd; I haven't seen it anywhere else, and it's visually overpowering.

Looking at several of the designs in the Link, one thing that's bugging me is some internal inconsistency with content width; some displays are full-width, some are locked into a max width. I don't think this should be treated like a web-page (with fixed-width content); I'd like to see more traditional widgets used, which always make the most use of the space provided by the window.

On some pages there are frames sitting above the content, which look like they would be scrolled along with the content, some are, others aren't; should these be presented as a persistent bar on the bottom of the application?

How do we address this? Pointing out to problems is not all that useful...
apol
Registered Member
OS
alake wrote:
apol wrote:Now we have this chromium-like bar for installation progress. There's nothing in this regard in the design I think. Should users just go to the "Installed" section then and show the progress there?

Yes, that's the intent. Also notice the text of the install button intended to provide a simple asynchronous hint on installation progress:
https://community.kde.org/images.commun ... up-A-6.png

I'd say we need some kind of notification saying there's something going on in the "Installed" section... changing the title/icon maybe?
apol
Registered Member
OS
It might be useful to have a meeting some day to discuss where to go from here.

What do you think?
alake
Registered Member
OS
apol wrote:
alake wrote:
apol wrote:Now we have this chromium-like bar for installation progress. There's nothing in this regard in the design I think. Should users just go to the "Installed" section then and show the progress there?

Yes, that's the intent. Also notice the text of the install button intended to provide a simple asynchronous hint on installation progress:
https://community.kde.org/images.commun ... up-A-6.png

I'd say we need some kind of notification saying there's something going on in the "Installed" section... changing the title/icon maybe?

Yes. I think when you say title you're referring to the thing you click on to switch to the "Installed" section. If so, in the mockup in the link I provided it changes from "Installed" to "Installing (2/20)" or some such. Yes, I think changing the icon would be a good hint as well (just need to find an icon that represents "Installing"). :-)

It might be useful to have a meeting some day to discuss where to go from here.

What do you think?

I can support an online meeting. Email me and we can coordinate on a time to meet. I can drag in Jens or a couple others as well.
apol
Registered Member
OS
Ok, I'll do another video round first then will send you the e-mail.

Cheers! \o/
apol
Registered Member
OS
Most of the feedback has been incorporated, this was merged to master.

Thanks everyone who helped! :)

Of course, the work is not over. Testing and fixes are especially welcome.
apache
Registered Member
OS
I reported a wishlist bug about bringing "check for updates" feature to main panel.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=363795

Does "check for updates" is really an advanced feature that needs to be hidden in menu? I think it is a basic feature for everyday use (when someone doesn't like to be bothered by notifications and prefers to check for updates at his/her convenient time). I wish it can be as button on the main upper panel, next to Discover button. Especially when Discover is used as the only application for package management.

If you agree, add a comment, vote for it, please.
colomar
Registered Member
OS
We could rename the "Updates" entry in the menu which usually takes you to the updates section to "Check for updates" when there are none shown. Would that help?
apache
Registered Member
OS
There was commit to this bug report but I haven't checked yet. There should be some logic behind visual aspect and what icon actually does to reflect the actual situation of system. Why not one the same icon field but changing its status: "Check for updates", "Update", "Check for updates". I reported a separate bug for this
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364638

It is obvious that "system is "up-to-date" status depends on how often system automatically / or user manually checks for updates. But when Discovery updater is opened there should be no information that system is "up-to-date" before user actually check it. Every time Discover is opened there should be status "Check for updates".
colomar
Registered Member
OS
Yes, you are right, thank you for the input!