This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Feedback Wanted] New KMyMoney Icon

Which icon do you like best?

A. Image The K coin (by lucashappy)
39%
B. Image Piggy bank with KDE gears (by lucashappy and I)
32%
C. Image Piggy bank (by lucashappy and I)
30%

Total votes : 44

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chris_hd
Registered Member
OS

[Feedback Wanted] New KMyMoney Icon

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:12 pm
In another thread we created several new icons for KMyMoney. Now your help is needed further improve them and to finally select a winner.

Presented are the three most discussed icons so far. Comments, suggestions and votes are welcome!
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS
I like option a, because it's more likely to adapt to smaller sizes, IMHO

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
daedaluz
Registered Member
OS
I think the KGear icon is too easily confusable with something that has something to do with system. I'd go with piggy bank instead.
lucashappy
Registered Member
OS
For those who is seeing these icons for the first time: did you noticed at first glance that they are coins?
I'm fine with all three options but I think they don't resemble a coin clearly as the old icon does. We could try put back some metallic shading.

daedaluz wrote:I think the KGear icon is too easily confusable with something that has something to do with system. I'd go with piggy bank instead.

Makes sense. Maybe we could remove the gear and stick Just with the k.

Hei Ku wrote:I like option a, because it's more likely to adapt to smaller sizes, IMHO

I think option c also its easier to adapt. Option b would require more work but it's still possible.

Although a final decision needs to be made , I think the poll should have a d option: "None of the above" so the voters can express that they are not yet satisfied and we should keeping working in the designs.
chris_hd
Registered Member
OS
lucashappy wrote:For those who is seeing these icons for the first time: did you noticed at first glance that they are coins?
I'm fine with all three options but I think they don't resemble a coin clearly as the old icon does. We could try put back some metallic shading.

You are right. Not everybody will associate the icons with a coin. The metallic shading is worth a try but it should not conflict with the modern flat and pure style.

lucashappy wrote:
daedaluz wrote:I think the KGear icon is too easily confusable with something that has something to do with system. I'd go with piggy bank instead.

Makes sense. Maybe we could remove the gear and stick Just with the k.

Only a "k" is very boring in my opinion. Also it has no connection to the app except the name. That is a pro for the piggy banks: they are connected to the app in terms of content.

lucashappy wrote:
Hei Ku wrote:I like option a, because it's more likely to adapt to smaller sizes, IMHO

I think option c also its easier to adapt. Option b would require more work but it's still possible.

+1 Option c is the best if you scale it to smaller sizes. Here very small versions:
ImageImageImage

lucashappy wrote:Although a final decision needs to be made , I think the poll should have a d option: "None of the above" so the voters can express that they are not yet satisfied and we should keeping working in the designs.

The pool was never meant to make the decision alone. I just wanted to revive the discussion (did not work well :( ).
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS
Don't focus on the small icons, because it's really not a common use case that you have multiple kmymoney files lying around.

Also, having a K in the icon is a continuation from our current artwork, so it's not something to discard so fast. We're not dealing with a new application here. There's over 10 years of history to look after.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
chris_hd
Registered Member
OS
I agree with you and think this a good statement.

Hei Ku wrote:Don't focus on the small icons, because it's really not a common use case that you have multiple kmymoney files lying around.
You've got a point here. But it is still used in the window title bar.

Hei Ku wrote:Also, having a K in the icon is a continuation from our current artwork, so it's not something to discard so fast. We're not dealing with a new application here. There's over 10 years of history to look after.
But the piggy bank is so cute ;D . And maybe it is time for a change after 10 years.

Last edited by chris_hd on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saabhero
Registered Member
OS
i'm not an artist but i thought a combination between choice B) and choice C) could be awesome, so i brought my GIMP skills to the table to combine those two.

Voila:

Maybe someone likes it :)
chris_hd
Registered Member
OS
Saabhero wrote:i'm not an artist but i thought a combination between choice B) and choice C) could be awesome, so i brought my GIMP skills to the table to combine those two.
Maybe someone likes it :)

I do. Even if cannot say which of the piggy bank icons I like most :| .

Are there more opinions on this topic? Has somebody an idea for a plan to make a decision?
jvapr27
Registered Member
As a KMyMoney user and Gnucash user, I will say that I don't really like associating KMyMoney to KDE.

It makes people think that they need to change their whole desktop to use it. Then I have to explain how K is just part of the name but you do not need KDE for it.

I really wish they would change the name to remove the K. K this and K that. I understand the idea of promoting KDE and KDE software as a whole but shouldn't we be trying to get the awesome software into as many hands as possible?

I would call it 'MyMoney' and I am still hoping one day there would be a MyMoney for Business or 'MyBusiness Accounting Manager'.

The Icon, in my opinion, should suggest to the use user that the software is for Accounting or Finance management. The fact that it is part of KDE software, is probably irrelevant to most users. I use it on Gnome and I use it on Plasma.

So the gear and the K, to the Users seeking financial management software, don't care. Usually these people are more involved in staying out of poverty, or in making money rather than what DE they are using.

If our goal is to increase the share of the market for KMyMoney, I would open it up and market it with a logo that suggest free finance manager/Accounting manager rather then 'Here is a KDE version of Finance managing software'. In Gnome, it literally says it and app 'by KDE'. I wish it would just say it is a financial management app. As soon as I see KDE.. and I am using Gnome, I am like ... pass. When I see one that is DE agnostic, that is usually what software I pick. Later I find that it is built using GTK or KDE frameworks. By then if I like the app, I don't care. If I am on Gnome and I end up liking the app, is is probably because it integrated into Gnome just fine. If I am on KDE and it is a Gnome app, same thing. I probably like it and don't care that it uses GTK under the hood.

I choose apps based on functionality, not framework or DE. So I don't think the Software Logo should include those but this is just from a user that uses KMyMoney, hates the name, but loves the application and wishes more people would turn to it. As soon as they see the weird name K-XXXXXX they turn away. Apple was able to Market the i-phone, i-tunes, i-xyz.. once they got it into the hands of people it was viral. But no average user cares to be associated to a framework. The 'i-' make it personal. What does the 'k' do?

Just my thoughts and opinions.

Great software btw!

JV