This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Design for a Music Player

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
andreas_k
Registered Member
ochurlaud
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Design for a Music Player

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:27 am
Good work on the comparison to other Music players.

2 questions:
- Can it be less Qt-ish, but still work with plasma? It does look a little too square I find, like if it was an old software.
- What about alake ideas and mock-ups? Cannot it be integrated? What does *he* think? (he disappeared from the thread for quite a long time now).
andreas_k
Registered Member

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:48 am
I saw the mockup from uri and I want to collect everything in one place "thread" that's the reason I add the mockup. As long as we don't have a dev we should collect ideas. but yes my favorit UI is dolphin it's flexible and you can use the style for everything.
ochurlaud
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:52 am
I began to develop something, but it's almost nothing, and I have 1 month of exams coming...

But then I'll come back to it.
hook
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 am
I listen to most of my music from netlabels like Jamendo and Ektoplazm.

Uri, you mention that the streaming would work as a webview. This seems to exclude the option to mix’n’match a playlist from different netlabels or managing your favourites etc. from the player itself (without downloading first). Personally I would miss that, but it doesn’t seem like a deal breaker to me.

It's time to prod some serious buttock! ;)
Uri_Herrera
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:10 pm
ochurlaud wrote:Good work on the comparison to other Music players.

2 questions:
- Can it be less Qt-ish, but still work with plasma? It does look a little too square I find, like if it was an old software.
- What about alake ideas and mock-ups? Cannot it be integrated? What does *he* think? (he disappeared from the thread for quite a long time now).

- The corners of the widgets might be 1px off as I was tracing them using bitmaps. I don't know what the exact radius is for the Breeze widgets. Though I prefer less rounded things myself. But I suppose that can be changed when building for other platforms.

- I was more focused on having a nice layout which is mostly the reason why I did it. I like for example the album art blurred in the background but that seems to me that it belongs more in a media center or a mobile app than a music manager .

Of course this is only showing part of the interface because I need to make the other views, modes, menus, and etc.

hook wrote:I listen to most of my music from netlabels like Jamendo and Ektoplazm.

Uri, you mention that the streaming would work as a webview. This seems to exclude the option to mix’n’match a playlist from different netlabels or managing your favourites etc. from the player itself (without downloading first). Personally I would miss that, but it doesn’t seem like a deal breaker to me.

I thought about it as the simplest way to have that streaming functionality. If its possible to have the player do more with these services including the likes of Spotify -which I use-, Beats, Rdio, TuneIn and etc. I can change how the Stream view would look and work before I prototype it.
alake
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:28 pm
Cool stuff Uri!!! +1 from me!! :-)
hook
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:33 pm
Uri_Herrera wrote:I thought about it as the simplest way to have that streaming functionality. If its possible to have the player do more with these services including the likes of Spotify -which I use-, Beats, Rdio, TuneIn and etc. I can change how the Stream view would look and work before I prototype it.

It depends from service to service – some are just (JavaScript) players on top of HTTP file hosting (e.g. BlocSonic, Laridae), others have proper APIs (e.g. Jamendo, MagnaTune).

It's time to prod some serious buttock! ;)
Uri_Herrera
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:46 pm
hook wrote:
Uri_Herrera wrote:I thought about it as the simplest way to have that streaming functionality. If its possible to have the player do more with these services including the likes of Spotify -which I use-, Beats, Rdio, TuneIn and etc. I can change how the Stream view would look and work before I prototype it.

It depends from service to service – some are just (JavaScript) players on top of HTTP file hosting (e.g. BlocSonic, Laridae), others have proper APIs (e.g. Jamendo, MagnaTune).

Alright, so I'll focus on the ones with an API.
STiAT
Registered Member

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:16 am
Is there a playground repo/master branch for this to clone from?

Spotify is certianly possible using the web / json api. There are several examples out there. Though, it would only work with paid spotify accounts, not with free accounts. I'm interested in that part too.

A good starting point for Spotify would be libQtSpotify (https://github.com/lukedirtwalker/libQtSpotify) which is currently used in CuteSpot (SailfishOS Spotify client), which works very nicely.
ochurlaud
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:00 pm
Yes there is one but it's hardly begun because of exams on my side...

still for reminder:
* Documentation/Discussion: https://community.kde.org/Playground/MediaPlayer
* Repository: https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch/och ... Player.git
* What I've done so far is explained (shortly) here: viewtopic.php?f=285&t=122273&start=105#p347946

The idea is really to work on backend, since the mockup / UI is still on discussion
yungtrizzle
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:48 pm
I'm on holiday for the next 3 weeks so I'm working on a local branch here. Most of what is in the community wiki and in the playground is the result of mine and ochurlaud's work. There is a mostly complete database api in the playground, I'm filing in gaps and I hope we make more progress. I'm on freenode's #bangarang and #kde-multimedia almost 24/7.

edit: Btw @ochurlaud, the wiki is restricted to Administrators group for editing.
ochurlaud
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:30 am
I worked on the database module... I did one example of INSERT query and one of UPDATE. I'll do one DELETE and then it's just copy paste with changing parameters.

I thought about the design: I think we can propose several, with one which will be the default one. When the database module is done, we'll write a module to connect the UI. To do this, I would need a list of all possible actions you think of, so that we can build a kind of API you can rely on.

@yungtrizzle: I never find you on IRC (I don't know your username maybe), and you didn't push code: If you worked on something, please push or put in review so that we don't do twice the same thing.
yungtrizzle
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:33 am
I've had gone back to the drawing board with my code so I didn't push anything. Let me pull remote and continue working on that. In my opinion the module we should work on next would the collection module (which seems to be exactly what we would connect to the ui.)

I'm using quassel-monolithic so its possible I'm not as available as I think, my nick is the same though.

edit: your insert/update code is clean, lets use that going forward, i"ll drop my old update code and move on to define a generic searching method
ochurlaud
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:02 pm
Hi,

I managed today to separate the model (ie. the classes that define what a Track, an Album, an Artist,... are), the storage (for now it's just the database manager) and the yet to come collection in different shared libraries. I also began to write a unit-test for one of my functions.

I'm building the foundations, with one example of each function so that it's easier to then adapt them to all the others.

What needs to be done now?
=> On our side (devs): to finish the model and based on this enhance the storage library
=> On your side (VDG): Help to do a list of every needed function.

For example:
  • add track X to playlist Y
  • show tracks from artist X

@yungtrizzle: I can tell you you are never connected, and #bangarang doesn't exist on freenode...