This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Design for a Music Player

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Re: Design for a Music Player

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:38 am
There are a few problems there: first off I had no idea the creator of Yarock wanted to cooperate. It's a tricky balance I suppose because on the one hand we simply cannot promise a "Default KDE App" situation for anyone, because KDE does not have standard applications. Meaning that has to be really clear. All we can provide is an attempt to get them INTO KDE or helping out with design.

This too can be tricky because many simply don't want to change the design or layout to fit the HIG/Design Guidelines. Which isn't a bad thing, it's their baby not ours. Also we can't provide more devs automatically. We can try to persuade people to join in but with the amount of work already on the plate it simply isn't feasible.

So it is tricky. That said, will try to contact him in the coming days (the yarock dev) and see what he thinks

As for Bomi vs VLC. VLC is where I personally think we should remain and they DO want to cooperate with redesign efforts. But that is a personal opinion of course.

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
mgallien
Registered Member

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:23 am
Hello, I have been working on a music player starting from the excellent design from Andrew Lake for almost one year. Thanks for the inspiration.

It is currently in kde playground git (https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=elisa.git).

Luigi Toscano has contributed infrastructure for localization of the interface.

It is mainly getting its tracks from Baloo. This is great since the user has nothing to setup and gets the same results from krunner, dolphin, ...

Is there people from the VDG that would be interested to help me on design issues ?

I have a few pain points currently:
* trying to combine an interface to be used with the mouse and with the touchscreen commonly found on laptops ;
* how to decide what is done by single click, double click or single long click ;
* should the play list always be shown even if reduced in size ;

I would be very open to any suggestions on how to improve it given that my goals are :
* being very easy to setup (ideally, the user would not setup anything before being able to use it) ;
* being fully usable offline (or in privacy mode) ;
* being open to leverage online services but not a development priority (the experience should not be degraded when you are offline) ;
* being usable in Plasma Workspace (MPRIS2, Baloo, ...) but also on other environments (Windows, Android, ...) ;
* being intuitive to use (I definitely need help here) ;
* being focused on music player (managing your music collection is not a development priority). This means that my project is not a direct fulfillment for people needing that ;
* being as much as possible bug free (meaning stability has higher priority than feature development) ;
* being able to leverage UPnP ContentDirectory and MediaRenderer in an easy and intuitive way.

Best regards
fabianr
Registered Member

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:00 am
I tried to install https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=elisa.git but couldn't get it to compile. Maybe you could post some screenshoots?
mgallien
Registered Member

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:43 am
Hello fabianr,

Sorry for having take too much time to answer.

I am not sure what is the best way to post screenshot to the forum. I had made them when I saw your post but never uploaded them since I cannot do it directly.

Maybe I should put some content on community.kde.org and use this to show content in the forum.

Sorry, I am not a regular user of forums like this one.

Best regards

PS : could you send me information about the compilation problem ?
rwalker
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:06 pm
EraX wrote:Here is the issue different users different needs...
As for the "colourful top bar" it adds a little bit of life to the application and there is no objections to add a toggle button to show/hide it.

For me the unmatched player is foobar and unfortunately i wasn't able to find a decent alternative for it...
Lightweight, customizable and powerful.
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1436& ... 842FHo-MLs
Only the users imagination and skills is the limit :)
Through the years i tried dozens of configurations and ended up with something simple on the outside but very powerful that fits my needs and allows me to manage my library very well.
http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/06/foo.jpg
It's not as nice as 99% of the google search results but it works better than any other app :) Managing files directly from foobar, powerful tagging options, statistics, powerful filters, plugins, etc.
Since 99% the window is hidden i don't care that much how it looks like more important for me is what can i do with it when the window is actually opened :P

Hmmm... foobar is really using all the window space efficiently. That could provide some excellent design ques for a new Plasma music player!! 8)

Bob
mgallien
Registered Member

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:33 pm
fabianr wrote:I tried to install https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=elisa.git but couldn't get it to compile. Maybe you could post some screenshoots?

Hello fabianr,

I have started a page on community wiki with a few screenshots of Elisa (https://community.kde.org/Elisa).

Best regards
fabianr
Registered Member

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:15 am
Thanks for the screen shoots.
I will look into them, and try to get you feedback from the VDG. But might take some time, with X-Mas right around the corner :)