This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Wallpaper/tapestry-like wallpapers (again)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hook
Registered Member
OS
The wallpaper idea on computer desktops obviously came from wallpapers and tapestries that we have on our physical walls, I’m proposing we bring that back as an option.

I am aware of the Pattern plugin for setting the background in Plasma, and maybe this idea could be just an improvement of that. But the current state is that the Patterns background can only support 2 colours and cannot be scaled up or down, and what I’m thinking is more in the lines of implementing http://www.colourlovers.com/patterns into Plasma.

It's time to prod some serious buttock! ;)
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS
I'm a bit confused, are you proposing tiled wallpapers?
Because we have that?
hook
Registered Member
OS
david_edmundson wrote:I'm a bit confused, are you proposing tiled wallpapers?
Because we have that?

Tiling, scalable (i.e. vector), preferably editable/tweakable wallpapers.

If you check out that page, you can see that patterns and colour schemes can both be tweaked to create a wallpaper – we could perhaps write a GUI to make use of their page (both for downloading and uploading).

Just as a brainfart, we could even have effects on top of those wallpapers (e.g. different textures, shading, frames, etc).

david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS
Oh, that website has an API, and content seems to be all Creative Commons.

Having a wallpaper plugin that does this seems very do-able, colouring even happens server side, so the whole thing would "just" be a bit of QML/javascript.

If anyone wanted to implement it, I'd happily help give help on the technical side.
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS
Update:

I changed my wallpaper to http://www.colourlovers.com/pattern/541 ... dle_Attack and everyone in my office started mocking me for having a wallpaper that looks like a grandmother's living room.
hook
Registered Member
OS
I’m not dead set into using that website, more in just having nice tiling, scalable (and preferably editable) wallpapers in Plasma.

But that website seems to fit the bill and has already a relatively active community, so why not reuse it. I haven’t read the ToS and PP yet, but before we procede, I can do that (IAAL IANAC).

colomar
Registered Member
OS
david_edmundson wrote:Update:

I changed my wallpaper to http://www.colourlovers.com/pattern/541 ... dle_Attack and everyone in my office started mocking me for having a wallpaper that looks like a grandmother's living room.

Rightfully so! You do realize they also have patterns that look like what you might put on your living room walls, right? ;)
[Damn, the maturity thing... ah f**k it, you provoked me!]