This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Free and Open Source Tool for Creating Icon Sets

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mank319
Registered Member
Dear KDE Visual Design Community,

first of all I want to apologize, if is not be the appropriate place for the following post; I wanted to make sure to address both designers (as potential users) and developers (as the project was just initialized and needs help!). Feel free to move the thread if necessary ;-)

During the last few weeks I have been working to release a very first impression of what is hopefully going to be a versatile tool that makes an icon designer's workflow faster, more efficient and more convenient.
The idea is to create a unified way of interacting with icon sets of different kinds.
The project can be found on Github.

Possible use cases are:
  • Simultaneously edit (copy, rename, symlink, remove) all occurrences of a particular icon, while not caring about resolution subdirectories
  • Insert new icon in vector format, to get it automatically downscaled and put into the right subdirectory
  • Intelligently apply operations on icons with symlinks: e.g. detect that the original Icon has been modified and ask if symlink is to be retained or a copy shall be made instead
  • Copy Icon from one set to another (again: automatically detecting correct subdirectories...)
  • Open a specific subset of the icon set in your image editor of choice
  • Defining routines for automated tasks: e.g. converting a KDE theme to GTK and vice versa
  • ... whatever you can imagine ( & implement :P )

As you are in the process of designing the plasma 5 desktop (which looks very promising so far!) I thought this may be of interest to you. As being said, I just started this project and it is of no practical use yet, but maybe there are developers who want to join and push it forward.

For The Developers
It is written in C++ using the Qt framework, which is probably quite familiar to many KDE developers.
If you have any questions, ideas or want to contribute, feel free to fork, send pull requests, open an issue or just respond to this thread.
Uri_Herrera
Registered Member
OS
Sounds interesting, I hope for it to see developers hack it and add more features.
kdeuserk
Registered Member
What would be really amazing is if the application actually could parse the svg files for tags/names. If one element appears more often in different icons and that component is changed so that the application could help you automate things.
I do not know how Uri handles common elements across different svgs: do they have the same label/id?
Uri_Herrera
Registered Member
OS
kdeuserk wrote:What would be really amazing is if the application actually could parse the svg files for tags/names. If one element appears more often in different icons and that component is changed so that the application could help you automate things.
I do not know how Uri handles common elements across different svgs: do they have the same label/id?

No, I don't add IDs to elements in SVG files in the icon theme because the software doesn't use them. Only Plasma that I know of, uses IDs for the themes.