This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Design Help Needed] Breeze nicklist theme for Konversation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hein
KDE Developer
OS
Thanks!

Preview now:

Quite good, except the too-dark pixels in owner and admin due to the blending.

But we get into problems with a dark background:

As you can see there are some white fill pixels, but even without them we'd have problems with the away overlay on the op badge.

Here is a proposal for a solution:

* I could add a simple flag to the theming system to allow themes to disable some of the blending, so that op/half-op/admin/owner/voice don't get blended over normal, just away would still blend. Then we simply use different color versions of normal for them. This fixes the dark pixels and avoids a conflict between the away+voice badges and other badges.

* Away would still blend, so the white fill pixels need to be removed. I could then add a second theme flag to set the composition mode to Clear, so the away badge fully replaces the pixels in the lower icon.

To sum it up: Could you make a version where normal/op/half-op/admin/owner/voice are simply different color and an away overlay without fill?

I'm open to other suggestions though ...

Plasma, apps hacker. KDE e.V. vice president.
andreas_k
Registered Member
with the new icons I don't have to use white background so this would work also with dark background. It is really nice to see the improvements when people discuss about something.

Normal User
Away
Half Operator
Operator
Owner
Voice

Breeze Theme
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/164 ... eeze02.zip
hein
KDE Developer
OS
Hmm this looks nice but I think you linked the wrong ZIP - the icons in the ZIP and in the post are not the same. I will take them from the post.

hein
KDE Developer
OS
A remaining design problem now is that the away badge gets blendet e.g. above the op badge and causes artifacts:

If I change this in the code so that one badge replaces the other (with an option set on the theme to ask for that behavior) the problem is that you can't tell anymore who is an op. I am going to try playing with moving the badge ...

andreas_k
Registered Member
what if we use different corner for the different status informations.

away = top-left
talk = top-right
operator = bottom-right

and you have one corner for an additional information. you can't be operator and half-operator or? because than we need every 4 corners.
hein
KDE Developer
OS
I had basically the same idea and implemented a basic form of stacking now:

This works by having an irc_away_stacked icon and (if it exists) using it instead of irc_away for icons like irc_op.

I also modified the blend behavior for the theme not to blend owner and admin over normal:

It's a big hack, but it will do for this Beta 1 release (we will release it today).

After the beta, we will change nicklist theming to work like this:

* There will be different icon names for all states:

irc_user
irc_user_away
irc_user_op
irc_user_op_away
etc.

That will give artists full control over each variant, with no blending tricks.

* It will use the KDE/Qt icon loading machinery, so it will support SVG and different sizes.

* It will basically be an overlay overriding the system icon theme, just like Plasma themes override it.

If you want to, you can create the final SVGs for that now :). I will then give an update when we have rewritten the code and integrated it.

andreas_k
Registered Member
Breeze
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/164 ... eFinal.zip

Breeze dark
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/164 ... kFinal.zip

I hope you are happy with the result and for the next release it would be nice to start a usability thread in this forum. Heiko and Colomar make really nice thinks and when you see the mockup of muon. I hope you say I also want to use the VDG for some improvements.
hein
KDE Developer
OS
Yes, happy with the results, thanks!

We'd certainly like to work more with the VDG in the future.

frinring
Registered Member
Hi Andreas & Eike Do you by any chance after 6 years still have those files around (borh Breeze & Breeze Dark) and in SVG format? The dropbox & nextcloud links are dead.

I have sketched code to support SVG icons for the nick list icons, which might also be handy for HiDpi.
And people are asking for Dark Breeze compatible icons, so having a separate theme for dark UI themes would be good to add (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=392811 links to here even :) ).
frinring
Registered Member
I have meanwhile tried to recreate some SVG versions of the existing PNG icons, used in my patch proipsed as https://invent.kde.org/network/konversa ... requests/8