This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Breeze and GTK (GTK theme request)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alake
Registered Member
OS
Congrats on putting together that GTK2 theme ScionicSpectre! Very cool! :-D
Phobi4n
Registered Member
@ ScionicSpectre : very good! I trust you won't mind that I posted an entry on deviantArt http://fav.me/d8omyzq as I find the theme perfectly useable and useful. Thanks for the effort.
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
@Phobi4n, you trusted correctly. I don't mind at all since you not only attributed me but linked back here. I'll likely upload it to GNOME-look.org and my own deviantART once I get around to the GTK 3 side of things.
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS
Or we could look at merging it into the proper git repo for 5.4?
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'd say it's too rough in its current state and in terms of my resources it's more of a weekend project sort of thing. Also, there's the slight issue of a color scheme change utterly breaking the consistency. I'd be willing to do an additional theme for Breeze Dark, but since the API OxygenGTK uses in GTK 2 is still available, I wonder if that wouldn't be the better approach.

Even still, if the community finds the quality acceptable, I'm not opposed to contributing upstream and polishing it occasionally.
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
I'm waiting for an official GTK version of the Breeze theme too! I use it now as my widget style, and it looks a bit out of place when GTK applications (like Firefox) still use oxygen-GTK for the menus / scrollbars / etc.
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS
ScionicSpectre wrote:I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'd say it's too rough in its current state and in terms of my resources it's more of a weekend project sort of thing.

That's how every developer and every project starts.

I don't want to force you into something you're uncomfortable with, but I strongly recommend it; you'll get hundreds times more users than you will on a hidden folder on deviant art.

We've just tagged 5.3, which means we have ~3 months to get this into the next Plasma release.

Could you make a list of what problems there are and what remains? Then I can maybe help out?
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
Yeah, I'm starting to warm up to the idea- I suppose it would be better than just using Orion indefinitely. The most glaring issues right now are the tool-buttons missing a pixel on the right edge and the scrollbar being slightly 'squished' inside of the trough. I probably just need to go back and check my math in those areas. Also, getting the tool-tips looking nice shouldn't take long.

I guess the biggest downside is that there's no way to make a traditional GTK 2 theme that would allow for the more prominent features of Breeze, such as grabbing empty space anywhere (not just the menu and tool bars) or having rounded menus. I'm sure it's not impossible, but GTK 2 is kind of dead when it comes to theme engines. QtCurve and OxygenGTK are the only themes that went that far.

Most of the important applications that still use GTK 2 are working on GTK 3 ports, however, so I think it's probably okay to let the GTK 2 theme have those deficiencies if there's no feasible alternative.

So yeah, long story short, I'll give it another look this week and upload it to my github so we can whip it into shape and start a GTK 3 version as well.
kde-jriddell
Registered Member
OS
I added this as a todo for the plasma board so we devs don't forget about it
https://todo.kde.org/?controller=board& ... ject_id=44
If you are able to spare some time to fix it up please do get in touch on the plasma-devel mailing list or #plasma IRC channel on freenode
adlo
Registered Member
@ScionicSpectre Very good! I think you should definitely put it on GitHub.
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
https://github.com/scionicspectre/BreezyGTK

Check here for updates on my progress (and if you want to help out). Even just reporting bugs you see in various applications would be a great help.
rapiteanu
Registered Member
OS
This looks really good. :)
I hope this will get integrated in Plasma 5.4.
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
rapiteanu wrote:This looks really good. :)
I hope this will get integrated in Plasma 5.4.

+1 to that. Although it should probably be renamed from Breezy to Breeze in that case, for consistency.
dirruk1
Registered Member
OS
I'm working on a gtk-3 breeze theme (https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze, not nearly done yet) but kwin draws these wide borders around gtk3 applications, does anyone know how to get rid of these?
alake
Registered Member
OS
Wow very cool progress ScionicSpectre! dirruk1 that looks great too! Maybe you can work together with ScionicSpectre on the GTK3 theme.

I'm down for including these in the Breeze KDE repo when you think they're ready so they can get wider testing in perhaps the 5.4 beta release. :-)