This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Breeze and GTK (GTK theme request)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
schnelle
Registered Member
OS
ScionicSpectre wrote:https://github.com/scionicspectre/BreezyGTK

Check here for updates on my progress (and if you want to help out). Even just reporting bugs you see in various applications would be a great help.

Sorry for spaming the thread with noob question but I have to ask: How to properly install this theme?
When I copy BreezyGTK folder to ~/.themes/ and then choose the theme in system settings, I get following win95 look:

dirruk1 wrote:I'm working on a gtk-3 breeze theme (https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze, not nearly done yet)

I think that buttons are a bit too big :)
rapiteanu
Registered Member
OS
I didn't expect some make a prototype for the GTK3 theme so fast. :)
So far, it's looking great! Kinda reminds me a bit of DWD... Good stuff! ^-^
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
I was planning to rename the theme to Breeze as soon as it's ready to merge, basically. I hadn't gotten too far with my local GTK 3 version yet, so I'd definitely suggest using dirruk1's. I'd be willing to work on it together, of course. I'll investigate the borders- I do think there's a setting you can just switch off.

If the GTK 2 theme doesn't look quite right, make sure you have installed the pixmap (also known as pixbuf) engine for your distro. The package name varies, but it should be added as a dependency once the theme is merged. I'm a little surprised, though, since pixmap is a very commonly used engine- if you're using any other GTK 2 themes you're likely to already have it.
feskyde
Registered Member
OS
Sorry for my bad english, seriously...

Hi everyone ^-^

I used to maintain another Breezy GTK theme (not mine, there is https://github.com/KardiWeb/breezy-gtk) on the AUR (Arch User Repo, gtk-theme-breezy), but I can see what the scionicspectre theme is more complete...

Can you give me permission to change the old theme to this? :)
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
Oh yes, of course you have my permission! You also certainly don't need my permission. ;) Thank you for the willingness to maintain a package- hopefully you won't have to for long.
feskyde
Registered Member
OS
Sorry for the delay, just moved to Windows 10 and going to reinstall Arch and make the PKGBUILD for this theme (and to read some docs, I never used to create packages from git) :)
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
dirruk1 really pitched in and helped solve most of the remaining issues I originally mentioned, so we're getting a lot closer to something I'd be comfortable merging, at least on the GTK 2 side of things.
feskyde
Registered Member
OS
Added to AUR two packages:

gtk-theme-breezy-gtk2
gtk-theme-breezy-gtk3

One for the ScionicSprecte's GTKv2 theme and the dirruk1's GTKv3 theme (i really don't want to mix the two themes).

;)
Soukyuu
Registered Member
OS
Installed the gtk2 theme for now (gtk3 PKGBUILD has conflicting files) and it looks good so far, but any check/radioboxes and arrows in menus look off:

deadbeef gtk2:

dolphin menu for comparison:

The size fits, but the spacing does not.

edit: also, just noticed, the "empty" checkbox symbol is missing in the GTK2 theme
dirruk1
Registered Member
OS
It's fixed. Please post bugs here https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze/issues.
feskyde
Registered Member
OS
Fixed AUR problems, the cause of the conflicting files is that the two themes were brought together in a single repository.

gtk-theme-breezy-gtk2 and gtk-theme-breezy-gtk3 are now merged on one package: gtk-theme-breezy

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk-theme-breezy/
feskyde
Registered Member
OS
I come to ask you a very small favor, since the theme is becoming a bit popular among users of other desktops like GNOME and Cinnamon, if you can create a theme for GTK window managers :)
dirruk1
Registered Member
OS
It is compatible, you just need GTK+ 3.16. At the moment I'm probably not gonna make a version for older versions of GTK, maybe when the theme is more mature.
feskyde
Registered Member
OS
dirruk1 wrote:It is compatible, you just need GTK+ 3.16. At the moment I'm probably not gonna make a version for older versions of GTK, maybe when the theme is more mature.

I mean the theme for the window manager in GNOME and derivatives (e.g. Mutter, Muffin, Metacity 3.x), and you are talking about the CSD, which uses the GTK3 theme. The window manager theme comes apart from the GTK theme and it is contained in a 'metacity-1' folder (the another Metacity-based WMs fixes automatically the theme when needed). ;)
dirruk1
Registered Member
OS
In GNOME 3.16 Mutter takes the window decorations from the gtk theme, it works on GNOME 3.16. I don't really like making metacity themes, but if you find a compatible metacity theme feel free to add it on github. It's just not a priority at the moment since the theme is not finished yet.