This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Breeze and GTK (GTK theme request)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rku
Registered Member
Regarding color schemes - i noticed themes have all images as PNGs... However if they were SVGs then it would be certainly doable to whip up a script that would read current color scheme colors and stick them into both theme files and images. Its not a perfect solution but hey - not like we change colors often. Once customization settles down it would require one run to get things into shape. Should this get integrated into KDE itself then maybe it could be done automatically too. Any chance pngs could become svgs?
alake
Registered Member
OS
So the core VDG is super-excited to designate this effort the official Breeze GTK3 theme. :-)
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
Sweet! Dirruk1 just landed an amazing update that fixes all the issues I could see while adding a dark version of the GTK 2 theme for good measure. He's a true theming champion who deserves a massive pat on the back for all the work he's done. Quite honestly, at this point I think the theme is ready for testing in the KDE repos.
alake
Registered Member
OS
Excellent! If either of you would like to get a KDE dev account please do. You've clearly demonstrated a great willingness to work together toward our community objectives. :-D

Go to https://identity.kde.org/ then visit the Developer Application page to apply. You can list me as a reference.

In the meantime we'll start working on getting this into the official Breeze repo. If you'd like to help with that, we would certainly welcome it. :-)

The official Breeze repo is here:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/w ... repository

Thanks again dirruk1 and ScionicSpectre for being so generous with your time and skills! And to everyone else on this thread who helped test and provide feedback. You entirely rock!
satya164
Registered Member
Hello all.

I'm planning to work on the Breeze GTK3 theme. I've made many GTK themes in the past, such as Numix, Ozon, Orion, Evolve etc., also worked on porting of Greybird GTK2 theme to GTK3. So I think I've some experience.

Since there has been some work done already, it would be foolish not to take advantage of it. However, to be fair, I'm not a big fan of how Adwaita is organized. Everything in one file is not cool. Hence I would prefer to base on Ozon GTK theme, which I have already organized according to how I like. I could take styles from the existing work and reuse it. And we could collaborate on it.

Whatcha say?
rapiteanu
Registered Member
OS
This is getting really good... As a follower of this topic, I'd really like to see this collaboration happen.
alake
Registered Member
OS
satya164, huge thanks for offering to help as well! I love those themes you've worked on btw.

dirruk1 and ScionicSpectre has made some great progress so far. So if you can take the best of what they've done so far and collaborate on improving it, like you've suggested, we would all welcome your contributions! So just go for it! :-)

+1 from me!
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
Yeah, just don't break the theme too badly and you're golden, satya164. ;) But really, I have no problem at all reorganizing the files to be more maintainable, it's only a matter of my own laziness. I do wonder if it's possible to reorganize it without starting from scratch with Ozon, but if that's easier/quicker for you then by all means do so. It would be nice to hear what dirruk1 thinks of the idea since he's been doing most of the work lately and single-handedly created the GTK 3 version. Like Andrew said, you might as well give it a go and I'm sure we'll like what you come up with.

If we can get the theme into the next version of Plasma I'm happy with all the help we can get- your reputation clearly precedes you, so it's a big yes from me.
satya164
Registered Member
Guys, may be we can have a quick chat on Telegram regarding this? My username is satya164
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
So, we all had a nice talk about the theme and it looks like we're on the same page so we're pushing ahead.

We also talked a bit about what it would take to automatically generate a new theme based on the KDE colors, and it looks like it might be possible in the future. We'll be working to polish the theme first, of course, but I could find a way to hack it together.
rapiteanu
Registered Member
OS
In the end, it seems like this theme was removed from Arch's AUR...
Soukyuu
Registered Member
OS
Arortell
Registered Member
Gentoo users gnome-breeze in the kde overlay works very well
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS
/If/ we want this to be officially part of Plasma 5.4, I need to have this all merged by Wednesday.

Not rushing you guys, if it needs another 3 months of testing outside Plasma, that's fine too; just trying to see if I need to help.

The question we need to answer for "is it good enough" is "is this better than us setting the default GTK theme to Orion" which we do now.
andreas_k
Registered Member
it could be also in plasma but Orion was the standard so you get more users.

wednesday in one week or? not today