This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Breeze and GTK (GTK theme request)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
edwardo
Registered Member
This worked for me in kubuntu 15.10:

sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf
git clone https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze.git
cd gnome-breeze
sudo find Breeze* -type f -exec install -Dm644 '{}' "$pkgdir/usr/share/themes/{}" \;
# set theme and disable colors as per repo instructions

Awesome work!
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
I just put these themes in $HOME/.local/share/themes and it works just as well.
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
Returning to this thread for a moment since it still seems to have some life in it. I've fixed the most obvious issues mentioned here in the 'upstream-polish' branch. Feel free to check it out instead of master for now, as there are a few additional improvements. With any luck, this could be upstream within the week.
andreas_k
Registered Member
thank you you are great
ScionicSpectre
Registered Member
And now it's up to date in master on GitHub, likely to be in KDE master very soon.
jarrr
Registered Member
ScionicSpectre wrote:I threw a little GTK 2 theme together in my spare time for my own use. It's still pretty hacky and unfinished, so I called it 'Breezy' but it may be enough to take the edge off for some of you.

Breezy GTK 2 Theme

{snip}

Thanks for this! It fixed a problem that I have been having with scrollbars since I installed KDE spins of FC22 and later FC23. It always worked fine when I was in FC21.

Short description, in the old days, ever since Win 3, if you opened a multi-page document, you could scroll exactly one screen-page by clicking anywhere in the groove below the actual scrollbar.

This problem came up that if my mouse cursor was somewhere in the groove, say the middle, or near the end, when I clicked, it would scroll all the way to the bottom of the document, skipping all of the intervening content. (If I clicked immediately below the scroll bar, it would move part way. It almost seemed to be proportional.)

Your BreezyGTK theme fixes this!

I posted questions in numerous places, forums.fedora.org, forum.kde.org, bugzilla.redhat.com. Several suggestions, but nothing helped.

Thanks once again.

JimR
Storm
Registered Member
OS
Sorry for necroing this but this seems to be the most relevant thread with already some infos in it.

1. I was trying to look into what's up with the Breeze GTK implementations.

But I got totally confused about the several various GitHUB repos, all of them with very little information. So where is the real home of this project? Who are the people I need to talk to? Where do I get the most recent versions?

2. I need help getting my own colors into a GTK theme.

My problem is this: I'm an artist, so seeing colors correctly is extremely important. I obviously want dark theme but if my whole GUI is tinted blue (=Breeze Dark) it throws off color perception due to our brain interpreting colors relative to surrounding colors. So I have copied Breeze Dark and edited it within KDE's color editor to get neutral grays similar in value to Breeze Dark.

But now my GTK apps are still blue... Once I took a Breeze Dark GTK theme (probably the one talked about here?) and manually find-and-replace'd all the color codes until I got something bearable... But then GTK changed its theming clusterf*** AGAIN and it broke.

So I wonder if the people dealing with making the Breeze GTK themes can help me to inject my own colors into theirs?

3. Considering all the above, I would like to request this:

Please make an official "Breeze Dark Neutral" theme that uses only neutral grays. You would do all of us people dealing in design and art a huge favor. I gladly offer my own color set as a starting point if you would like.

Then I would hope the people doing the Breeze GTK themes would pick up this neutral verison color scheme as well.

Thanks in advance!

P.s.: My knowledge of Linux is basic/medicore and of programming even less, so I can't contribute much, sadly.

"Sic itur ad astra per aspera."
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
As I understand it the official Breeze GTK repo is in KDE's git repos at : https://cgit.kde.org/breeze-gtk.git/
KDE's git repos are mirrored on Github: https://github.com/KDE/breeze-gtk

This repo was initialized from earlier efforts by VDG members to create a gtk theme to match the breeze qt theme. The first version/repo was https://github.com/scionicspectre/BreezyGTK, which was followed by (and later merged/incorporated into) https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze/. This second repos had a couple of occasions a branch for trying to get the gtk theme to use the system theme colors (using an after-the-fact script to update the various assets), but these never got finalized or incorporated into the official repo.

I would love to see this effort to be able to have the gtk theme follow the system color scheme revived (even if it requires running a script after-the-fact to update the theme assets). I've been running the named-colors branch of dirruk1's gnome-breeze repo for a while (satisfied with having to run the breeze-gtk-colors script to update the theme colors when I change the system color scheme) and haven't run into any problems. In my case I change the color scheme regularly (every couple of months or so) (and have a personal aversion to grays, but I realize that I am unique in this aspect) and while the set of gtk apps I use is fairly small they are very prominent and I want them to match the colors used by the rest of the desktop.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
apache
Registered Member
OS
How can I decrease theme right border width?
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=152476

Why there are no issues tab on
https://github.com/KDE/breeze-gtk
Users can't ask questions.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
The KDE stuff on github is just a mirror of the official KDE repos, allowing a little more ready access to everyone who is already acquainted with github and tying into some of the github workflow.

As for users asking questions, that is the primary purpose of these forums. For submitting bugs there's bugs.kde.org, and for feature requests there's phabricator.kde.org.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.