This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Idea] Transparent panel

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rwalker
Registered Member
OS

Re: [Idea] Transparent panel

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:41 am
psifidotos wrote:
rwalker wrote:I will keep you posted how I get on!!

Bob

Bob here is the announcement of my new plasmoid and why I need
this transparent panel... I would prefer to use Breeze-Dark Theme with just one panel
transparent but I am using MX Theme until such a choice exists... :)

Hi,

Yes I'm still here!!

In fact I've even switched to the horrible (IMHO) stock breeze theme. Yes - just to incentivise me to pull my finger out and get an update-able transparent breeze theme generator sorted out! :P

After much pulling out of hair, etc. I've finally got my old / simple Gawk xml stream parser worker (of sorts). Reinvents the wheel - should be using Python modules, etc. :-\
I'll do some more intensive testing before I declare it "production ready" (cough). Even if the script just clones and slightly modifies the existing breeze theme - I don't want the cloned widget SVG's to be mangled in anyway!

Your dock looks really neat... Does that support:
  1. Window previews on mouse hover and
  2. icon resize on mouse rollover
??
If so then sign me up!! :D

Bob
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:22 am
rwalker wrote:Hi,

Yes I'm still here!!

In fact I've even switched to the horrible (IMHO) stock breeze theme. Yes - just to incentivise me to pull my finger out and get an update-able transparent breeze theme generator sorted out! :P

After much pulling out of hair, etc. I've finally got my old / simple Gawk xml stream parser worker (of sorts). Reinvents the wheel - should be using Python modules, etc. :-\
I'll do some more intensive testing before I declare it "production ready" (cough). Even if the script just clones and slightly modifies the existing breeze theme - I don't want the cloned widget SVG's to be mangled in anyway!

Nice to hear !!! Actually because many users were requesting this transparent panel, I created something of my own yesterday... It is a python script and you can find it here if you want to play, https://github.com/psifidotos/plasma-transparent-panel, it isnt using xml but text to touch the widgets/panel-background.svgz and it works in the themes I tried it. I dont know how clean is the new widgets/panel-background.svgz, it certainly needs some more iterations... If you script is better, I will use that... :) In the next days I will probably create also a PyQt window in order for a simple user to be able to choose the needed parameters easily....

rwalker wrote:Window previews on mouse hover

unfortunately not yet and I dont know actually if I am interested in implementing them

rwalker wrote:icon resize on mouse rollover

can you explain me? are you refering to mouse wheel usement?
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:42 am
By using the transparentpanel.py script, Papirus theme with West panel transparent.... :-)

rwalker
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:33 pm
psifidotos wrote:Nice to hear !!! Actually because many users were requesting this transparent panel, I created something of my own yesterday... It is a python script and you can find it here if you want to play, https://github.com/psifidotos/plasma-transparent-panel, it isnt using xml but text to touch the widgets/panel-background.svgz and it works in the themes I tried it. I dont know how clean is the new widgets/panel-background.svgz, it certainly needs some more iterations... If you script is better, I will use that... :) In the next days I will probably create also a PyQt window in order for a simple user to be able to choose the needed parameters easily....

rwalker wrote:Window previews on mouse hover

unfortunately not yet and I dont know actually if I am interested in implementing them

rwalker wrote:icon resize on mouse rollover

can you explain me? are you refering to mouse wheel usement?

I looked at your script. It looks similar, in principal, to mine - but my Python foo is not strong! I'm still wading through a Python 3 course - which I'll pick up again soon!!

I can comment that you could use:
Code: Select all
gunzip -S z *.svgz
gzip -S z *.svg

Which would allow a "cleaner approach" - rather than moving files around to change the file extension! Command line options - "they're a thing" :P

I'm going for the generic approach - basically because I like transparent everything - even though I can't read any of the widget text (without Background Contrast enabled)!! :D

I'll stick my Gawk script up on Github - once I've verified that it can breakdown and re-create a generic SVG file - without breaking any of the XML functionality! Once I've got that the first bit of the script working - it's then a trivial process to walk the Gawk XML array for specified ID tags.

I don't want to get too "distracted" messing about with your Plasmoid... So I'll test it out at some points soon! Again it's having the time to sit down and wade through some qml tutorials!

Bob
rwalker
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:55 pm
Actually... I won't put my script on Github... Because it would drive folks nuts!! It's just way too slow. I've "real" i7 Haswell - i.e. 4 HT cores - in my laptop and it takes over a minute to breakdown one SVG file to an array. Yeah, perhaps Gawk wasn't designed so much for recursion. :<

Hmmm. I guess it'll need to be Python then!!
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:41 pm
:) thank u for the gunzip mechanish, I will update it the next days...

I have just uploaded also the gui for my script in order to help the user to create their transparent panel... :-)

rwalker
Registered Member
OS

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:26 am
I like the GUI arrangement!

I've continued my quest to create a more generic plasma widget parser script.

Latest update...

I've managed to breakdown an SVG, creating an array of XML elements and then use that to put a near identical SVG image back together again. The diff (excluding whitespace and linebreaks) is clean (i.e. effectively no difference). The new SVG is editable with Inkscape and viewable with dolphin (just to be triple sure!!)

The runtime is now way, way better (single monitor.svg image - breakdown and re-construct)
Using the identical script for each run - now awk POSIX compatible:

mawk
real    0m0.773s
user    0m0.557s
sys     0m0.200s

gawk :z :z :z :z :z :z :z :z :z :z :z :z :z
real    33m26.668s
user    0m0.003s
sys     0m0.000s

So apparently gawk doesn't handle recursive functions so well... :'(
Needless to say... Since I discovered the speed of mawk. gawk is now dead to me... ;D
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:28 am
@rwalker, nice to hear you are moving on !!! ;D