This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Breeze icons for Steam tray icons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
guoyunhe
Registered Member

Breeze icons for Steam tray icons

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:49 pm
The default steam tray icon is light gray. I made new icons for breeze icon theme.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7uQUk ... sp=sharing

elvishp2006
Registered Member
Tks ^-^
andreas_k
Registered Member
the problem is that we can't add trademarked icons. sorry.
molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS
andreas_k wrote:the problem is that we can't add trademarked icons. sorry.

Even if the owner of the trademark allows it? Seems ok according to https://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&ved=0ahUKEwjQxr7ewcDUAhWGOxQKHZS3CdQQFghLMA0&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpartner.steamgames.com%2Fpublic%2Fmarketing%2FSteam_Guidelines_02102016.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEQXh8swGe7oeiP69sr-KfZD3tnKg&sig2=DWTvJZHkPnHeSb09IHGJaQ

Well actually I'm not sure as that might apply to steam "partners" which might be some specific groups that have officially partnered with steam. (But maybe not.)

Anyway, what exactly constitutes a trademarked icon? Probably a legal gray area. Just change it significantly--would still look better than the current icon.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
Considering Steam allows this and have allowed this in far larger DE's than ours I think it should be ok.

On the one hand it was decided that we should avoid all trademarked icons (for edits) at the same time there is such a thing as too careful.

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
tosky
Registered Member

Re: Breeze icons for Steam tray icons

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:05 pm
jensreuterberg wrote:Considering Steam allows this and have allowed this in far larger DE's than ours I think it should be ok.

On the one hand it was decided that we should avoid all trademarked icons (for edits) at the same time there is such a thing as too careful.

In fact the symbol it's clearly non-free (but IANAL) The document mentioned says (page 4):

The Steam® symbol (shown to the left) is what a partner/manufacturer use for
hardware/device applications. Any other application should use the Steam® Logo
specified on Page 6. Physical alterations should not be made to the logo and it
should not be combined with any other branding elements.

IMHO the icon shows above is a variation of the logo, and should be avoided.

tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS
tosky wrote:
jensreuterberg wrote:Considering Steam allows this and have allowed this in far larger DE's than ours I think it should be ok.

In fact the symbol it's clearly non-free (but IANAL) The document mentioned says (page 4):

The Steam® symbol (shown to the left) is what a partner/manufacturer use for
hardware/device applications. Any other application should use the Steam® Logo
specified on Page 6. Physical alterations should not be made to the logo and it
should not be combined with any other branding elements.

IMHO the icon shows above is a variation of the logo, and should be avoided.

The question is, can you use just the connecting rod logo without the "STEAM" part? They seem to suggest that it's only for hardware/devices, which is odd.