This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Design Contest for Plasma Logo

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
elvisangelaccio
Registered Member
OS

Re: Design Contest for Plasma Logo

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:08 am
I'm not sure I see the connection between a desktop environment and the sun. Yes, the sun is made of plasma, but how many people actually know that? And even if everyone knew it, why should we associate our desktop to celestial objects?
alex-l
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:51 am
elvisangelaccio wrote:I'm not sure I see the connection between a desktop environment and the sun. Yes, the sun is made of plasma, but how many people actually know that? And even if everyone knew it, why should we associate our desktop to celestial objects?

The theme for names in Plasma is Nature and physics, that's why we have Dolphin, Muon, Baloo, Ion. People don't knowing what plasma is would have to be a point discussed when the name "Plasma" was suggested. Now we can just remark the meaning of Plasma using the logo ;)
Inverge Design
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:31 am
colomar wrote:For fairness' sake, I'd also like to enter the current logo, created by Uri Herreira, with his permission:

I think this is probably my favorite, but I'd change the circles to gears with a second gear of another color inside done the same way as the > in the "material" fashion.
I'm referring to the color version of course.
Thoughts?
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:53 am
elvisangelaccio wrote:I'm not sure I see the connection between a desktop environment and the sun.

Do you see a connection between a desktop environment and a foot (gnome), a mouse (xfce) ...? The project logo is not an iconographic representation of the application.

elvisangelaccio
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:08 pm
alex-l wrote:
elvisangelaccio wrote:I'm not sure I see the connection between a desktop environment and the sun. Yes, the sun is made of plasma, but how many people actually know that? And even if everyone knew it, why should we associate our desktop to celestial objects?

The theme for names in Plasma is Nature and physics, that's why we have Dolphin, Muon, Baloo, Ion. People don't knowing what plasma is would have to be a point discussed when the name "Plasma" was suggested. Now we can just remark the meaning of Plasma using the logo ;)

This doesn't imply that the icon has to necessarily resemble a sun. For the same reason why the Dolphin icon has nothing to do with the animal.

Last edited by elvisangelaccio on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elvisangelaccio
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:12 pm
ivan wrote:
elvisangelaccio wrote:I'm not sure I see the connection between a desktop environment and the sun.

Do you see a connection between a desktop environment and a foot (gnome), a mouse (xfce) ...? The project logo is not an iconographic representation of the application.

Good point, and I don't like those icons either.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the proposals posted so far, but I think that the Quiralta's logo might be the best fit for the job. It just makes more sense in my head because I think of a desktop when I look at it.
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:16 pm
@elvisangelaccio

Different people have different preferences ofcourse. And (unfortunately) all proposals have thir strengths and weaknesses. VDG and Plasma teams will have a really hard time choosing :)

Inverge Design
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:59 am
I'm trying to put something together right now, but I'm wondering if someone could tell me what font the "K" in the KDE logo is? The one shown in the logo at the top of this page.

EDIT: nevermind I found it in the resources, must have overlooked it.
alex-l
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:30 am
elvisangelaccio wrote:
alex-l wrote:

This doesn't imply that the icon has to necessarily resemble a sun. For the same reason why the Dolphin icon has nothing to do with the animal.

Obviously it doesn't imply that, I didn't want to say we are forced to use the connection with plasma/Sun. I was just trying to say that it's OK to use that connection ;)
As Ivan said, many projects doesn't have a logo that represent the app. Often when the project it's complicated. I like Quiralta's logo too, but I don't think the window management is enough to represent Plasma. It would be perfect for KWin, that is only one part of Plasma :D
I'd add to the list of projects with logo based on something else instead of their features: Amarok, Android, Choqok, Clementine, Cuttlefish, Docker, Drupal, DuckDuckGo, Eclipse, Firefox, Gimp, GNU, GoLang, Grunt, Inkscape, Jenkins (this one it's a good metaphor though), MariaDB, Mint, MySQL, OpenSUSE, Pidgin, PHP, PostgreSQL, Python, React, Ruby, Rust, Tor, VLC.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:15 am
Kver wrote:Image

Here's what I've got.

The first is the sun/earth/moon; the gear being the corona and a tieback to the "K" logo, and the earth/moon being a blatant ripoff of Anditosan's variant - but inverted.

i quite like the second, the > inside the pieces of gear.
i would like to see a version with one single piece of gear, maybe playing a bit with its orientation
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:17 am
alex-l wrote:Image

- It's the Sun, because it's the bigger amount of natural plasma near us;

- The ">" comes from the current logo, so it doesn't look like a simple gear in monochrome. The ">" looks like a "P" for Plasma and like a "play/start" symbol, it should be good as start menu icon;

- The gear is the one from KDE logo.

Feel free to edit it and re-submit it here.

I like it more than the previous one with only the gear..
i think would be a bit better if the gear was somehow not complete
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:20 am
Inverge Design wrote:
colomar wrote:For fairness' sake, I'd also like to enter the current logo, created by Uri Herreira, with his permission:

it's still probably my favourite as well.
the issue i always had with it is how it looks "disconnected" , the other 3 dots in it, looks like a bit estraneous, if they would be a bit more connected, belinging to the same overall shape, it would look better
(and btw, not having a gear is a plus for me)
notmart
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:23 am
anditosan wrote:Hey guys, here is my proposal. I reviewed a few things out there and was inspired by plasma, which is the most abundant element in the universe. It is produced in the stars. I wanted to show the connection that we have to the universe of ideas that we come up with. I went through a few iterations and then reduced the result to the most basic of shapes. I hope you like it!

+ looking a bit more organic, explores a logo with no gear
- looks a bit overly generic, is just 2 circles, it could be anything
andreas_k
Registered Member

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 am
anditosan wrote:

+ simple
+ fit's the breeze icon style with 1px elements
+ recognizable as PLASMA instead of KDE
+ work in small size as icon and in big size as logo also with different backgrounds
+ explain the word plasma
+ you can make wonderfull animations with it

+/- new no element from the kde icon/logo
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:23 pm
notmart wrote:i quite like the second, the > inside the pieces of gear.
i would like to see a version with one single piece of gear, maybe playing a bit with its orientation

+1 the second one (with one piece or two) looks very nice. One of the things that I like about it is that it is open to modification. For example, if we had an aKademy or Plasma sprint in Paris, the nudges on the upper gear could become Eifel Tower, and two other famous buildings. (Paris taken only as an example)