This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Idea - Proposal] - A Plank dock alternative for Plasma

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS

I love my Plasma !!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

If someone wants to try it should use the master branches,
Now Dock plasmoid: https://github.com/psifidotos/nowdock-plasmoid
Now Dock panel: https://github.com/psifidotos/nowdock-panel
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS
andreas_k wrote:+100 for bring it to plasma repository.

the code is not clean and needs a lot of love!!! :-) but I also want to move to Plasma
if the developers accept it when the dust from these first versions goes down... :)

Thanks a lot for the support!!!!
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS
A little video from the master branches of Now Dock Panel and Plasmoid... :) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5oyCTWWfao
rapiteanu
Registered Member
OS
That looks really good! :)

Now, Just some food for thought... Have you thought about trying to bring this to the 5.8 Plasma repository (even as a developer preview at least)?
The final day for the 5.8 repository freeze is Thursday 2016-09-08. Considering the fact that this will be a LTS release, it could bring a lot of potential users / testers.
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS
rapiteanu wrote:That looks really good! :)

Now, Just some food for thought... Have you thought about trying to bring this to the 5.8 Plasma repository (even as a developer preview at least)?
The final day for the 5.8 repository freeze is Thursday 2016-09-08. Considering the fact that this will be a LTS release, it could bring a lot of potential users / testers.

thank u !!!

I believe that for Plasma 5.8 there is not time actually... I am thinking to keep it outside until 5.8 comes out and then try to make it a KDE project afterwards...
It would make a lot of sense as in Plasma 5.9 there is a chance to have transparent panels without the need of altering the theme. I dont know how long though the codebase will catch up with good practices and code standards in order to be officially distributed but I would like to be optimistic :), what I dont know I will learn... :)

So an abstract roadmap would be:
1. release Now Dock Panel and Plasmoid version 0.3
2. take some feedback from kdelook users and in general the KDE community
3. try to make it a KDE Project
4. full code polishing, changing codepaths when it's needed for better practices
5. finally included in an official repo e.g. extras ?
6. maintaining little by little after that :)

phases 1-2, will be probably a month from now
phases 3-4, will be probably need two months at least
phase 5, we can not know at this stage...

thanks again!!!! :)
andreas_k
Registered Member
Post on planetkde.org
rapiteanu
Registered Member
OS
andreas_k wrote:Post on planetkde.org

Couldn't agree more! You could also post about it on KDE subreddit.
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS

nice idea... I will try to setup a blog in the next days... to forward the news...
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS

Ok... I created a blog yesterday... https://psifidotos.blogspot.gr/ and an article for Now Dock is ready with explanation, images and video...

I am just waiting confirmation from planetkde maintainers that have added my feed in order to upload the article...
After that I will also sent it to reddit... :)
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS
Hello everyone...

Full Article for Now Dock: https://psifidotos.blogspot.gr/2016/09/now-dock-plasmoid-panel-new-journey.html

- I contacted the Planet KDE and I am waiting for confirmation in order to add my blog in the list
- I tried adding the above link to reddit but even though it is shown in my personal list I cannot see it at all in
the r/kde list, something from reddit didnt go quite right...

Feel free to forward it everywhere you want... :)

regards,
michail
lazyit
Registered Member
OS
@psifidotos
At the moment I'm trying Now Dock and I'm waiting for the panel to be inserted in the repo of my distro, however it seems a fantastic idea that is in addition to Plasma 5 something that was missing at the time the only thing that annoys me a little Now Dock is the fact that when I open a window to full screen, the Dock is, rightly, covered the window, but by moving the mouse to the bottom should reappear and instead it does not, however, suppose that this will happen with the future developments!
[Idea / Proposal]
Now Dock and Panel Now as mentioned is a fantastic idea, which make the interaction with plasma 5 more similar to the experience of elementary, something that perhaps is missing and that would make it more comprehensive perhaps it could also be a Plasmoid menu in Qt such as elementary, that is functional for those who put on the top panel, this would make it more comprehensive, and would be a trilogy right, as any good film teaches... :D
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS
lazyit wrote:@psifidotos
At the moment I'm trying Now Dock and I'm waiting for the panel to be inserted in the repo of my distro, however it seems a fantastic idea that is in addition to Plasma 5 something that was missing at the time the only thing that annoys me a little Now Dock is the fact that when I open a window to full screen, the Dock is, rightly, covered the window, but by moving the mouse to the bottom should reappear and instead it does not, however, suppose that this will happen with the future developments!

this is happening because the plasmoid has been inserted into the desktop, you could try to insert it into an empty panel
(best configuration for that panel for me is when I set the panel to "Windows Can Conver", so it is hidden but when I go the mouse to that edge it reappears...

lazyit wrote:[Idea / Proposal]
Now Dock and Panel Now as mentioned is a fantastic idea, which make the interaction with plasma 5 more similar to the experience of elementary, something that perhaps is missing and that would make it more comprehensive perhaps it could also be a Plasmoid menu in Qt such as elementary, that is functional for those who put on the top panel, this would make it more comprehensive, and would be a trilogy right, as any good film teaches... :D

[/quote]

In Now Dock Panel you can add any plasmoid you want and most of them can be animated in the Now Dock way. The Panel will be published in store.kde.org and you will not need to wait for your distribution... For any feature request please also use the official pages:
https://github.com/psifidotos/nowdock-plasmoid
https://github.com/psifidotos/nowdock-panel/

in which already a small community of users and developers has been created...
both of them (plasmoid and panel) in their master branches are working just fine but it will be needed a small period of testing in order to be solid when they will be published in their awaiting versions (0.3)
lazyit
Registered Member
OS
thanks for the reply , but I have not responded on the idea of a menu similar to that of Elementary , I understand that maybe you can not do too much , but at least I'd like to know if you think it is a good idea or not ;)
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS
lazyit wrote:thanks for the reply , but I have not responded on the idea of a menu similar to that of Elementary , I understand that maybe you can not do too much , but at least I'd like to know if you think it is a good idea or not ;)

I 'd love to answer you, but I dont know how that looks... :)
can you send me a screenshot or a video demonstrating the menu in Elementary, in order
to see what we are talking about?
psifidotos
Registered Member
OS
lazyit wrote:thanks for the reply , but I have not responded on the idea of a menu similar to that of Elementary , I understand that maybe you can not do too much , but at least I'd like to know if you think it is a good idea or not ;)

if you are refering for example to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0kuGECRYk
time: 3:19 in the above video...

I would say that this is very beautiful and very interesting...
This is an app launcher presenting in a grid instead of a column...
This could be a very beautiful plasmoid if someone wants to catch up with this but for the time
being I am not the one... :)

regards,
michail