This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Minuet Mobile UX Review Request

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sandroandrade
Registered Member
OS

Minuet Mobile UX Review Request

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:58 am
Dear VDG members,

We're on the last mile of Minuet Mobile (currently targeting Android devices) development as part of Ayush Shah's GSoC 2016 project.
At this point, we'd be very grateful if some of you could do some UX review and provide some feedback about usability and workflow matters.
We're currently using QtQuickControls2 and we plan to migrate to Kirikami as soon as its porting to QtQuickControls2 is done.

Here are the screenshots for the functionality available so far:

1) Initial screen

2) This is a conventional hierarchical presentation of exercises and exercise categories with a breadcrumb on top. Currently, the breadcrumb shows only the immediate parent of currently shown children.

3) Here a interval/chord/scale is played and the user is expected to select one of the colored options shown (there is a vertical scroll for exercises with many possible answers).

4) Here the correct answer for the exercise at hand is shown. In the "Your Answer" box, the user selected answer is shown inside a green rectangle if correct or inside a red rectangle otherwise. Piano keyboard should show the correct answer by using small circles with the same color of the answer when presented in the gray rectangle (all available answers) -- this is still going to be fixed in the code.

5) This is for rhythm exercises, where the user is expected to identify four cells containing one rhythmic pattern each. The right cells are shown inside a green rectangle and wrong cells inside a green rectangle. The "backspace" button can be used to reselect an answer for a previously answered cell (yes, you should reenter all of them if you want to change the first one, this is an improvement we should make soon). When wrong cells are clicked they are turned into the right answer.

If you wanna try it by itself (Android 5 devices) you can use this APK.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
colomar
Registered Member
OS

Re: Minuet Mobile UX Review Request

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:16 pm
Hi Sandro,
sorry for not replying earlier, I was on vacation.

Here's my feedback:
1. Is the initial screen really mostly blank? I would definitely not do that. A blank initial screen just looks like a broken application.
The application should take you straight to the action immediately. It may make sense to put the different categories additionally in the Global Drawer, but they should also be accessible from the main screen, together with an instruction like "Choose the area you want to train in."

2. You might put the navigation in the drawer initially, but once you move to Kirigami, you will find its column-based navigation (where each level of the navigation hierarchy is one "page" on the main screen) to be a much more suitable navigation scheme for your hierarchical navigation through the sections. It allows an easy navigation back and forth simply by swiping left and right (see Kirigami HIG for details), much more convenient than through the drawer.
You can of course already do it that way now, but it might be more difficult to implement without Kirigami (which is basically built around exactly that navigation, make it ideal for that use).

3. The big "Backspace" button is a bit strange. Wouldn't it make more sense to allow tapping on an answer in the "Your Answers" box (I'd recommend using singular there, btw) to remove it?

Apart from that, it looks fine to me.
sandroandrade
Registered Member
OS

Re: Minuet Mobile UX Review Request

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:03 pm
colomar wrote:Hi Sandro,
sorry for not replying earlier, I was on vacation.

Np :)
colomar wrote:Here's my feedback:
1. Is the initial screen really mostly blank? I would definitely not do that. A blank initial screen just looks like a broken application.
The application should take you straight to the action immediately. It may make sense to put the different categories additionally in the Global Drawer, but they should also be accessible from the main screen, together with an instruction like "Choose the area you want to train in."

Yes, that's indeed a bit weird. I'll try to make some dashboard with the basic actions.
colomar wrote:2. You might put the navigation in the drawer initially, but once you move to Kirigami, you will find its column-based navigation (where each level of the navigation hierarchy is one "page" on the main screen) to be a much more suitable navigation scheme for your hierarchical navigation through the sections. It allows an easy navigation back and forth simply by swiping left and right (see Kirigami HIG for details), much more convenient than through the drawer.
You can of course already do it that way now, but it might be more difficult to implement without Kirigami (which is basically built around exactly that navigation, make it ideal for that use).

I see. It seems users are quite confortable with those drawers but, yes, swapping back is a nice usability pattern.
colomar wrote:3. The big "Backspace" button is a bit strange. Wouldn't it make more sense to allow tapping on an answer in the "Your Answers" box (I'd recommend using singular there, btw) to remove it?

We're struggling to present some instructions for those not-very-intuitive workflows. Using QtQuickControls2's tooltips may help with that. We'll investigate.

Thank you very much for the feedback :)