This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Suggestion] Making widgets in panels be in place at login

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pedrorodriguez
Registered Member
OS
Hello! I have noticed that when logging in, all the widgets that I have in my panel aligned to the right, appear first on the left and then they slide quickly into position. Would it be possible to have them already be in place at login?

Thanks!
andreas_k
Registered Member
this is not a design issue. do you have an active ksplash? In general it's how plasma "build" the desktop. if you want to see how it work (and you want to reduce the login time) you can say in system settings -> splash screen -> no splash screen if you activate the splash screen you will see the desktop when everything is finished.
pedrorodriguez
Registered Member
OS
andreas_k wrote:this is not a design issue. do you have an active ksplash?

I do use ksplash. I have tried both with and without, and it still happens. I think it's nice to have ksplash until the desktop is ready, but the problem is that I wait for ksplash, it fades out, and the widgets in my panel slide into position. It is as if ksplash goes away before it should. It is not the end of the world, but it does not look very good.

Thanks!
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I think the biggest offenders on this aren't the widgets themselves (which should be pretty quick to create and draw, and whose positions and sizes can be preallocated based on the dimensions in the config) so much as the items in the taskbar and system tray. Adding some smoothening animations to when system tray icons appear and disappear would help a lot (if it doesn't do this already).

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
pedrorodriguez
Registered Member
OS
It's fixed in 5.8! There is a nice slide animation for the panels, and when they appear, every widget is in place. Looks great!