This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New Design for "Get new Hot Stuff"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Shaddar
Registered Member
OS

New Design for "Get new Hot Stuff"

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:44 pm
Today I thougtht about the design of the "Get new Hot Stuff" dialog. I think there is some room for improvements and to get a better overview.
I tried to put my thought into a quick mockup. There are two screenshots to compare.

At first I think the "Get new Hot Stuff" needs to be an own application. No we have the KDE Store. Google has it's Play Store, Apple it's Appstore but what has KDE ?
You could start the KDE Store directly or all other places would link to it's section. The first dropdown menu would provide access to all other categorys.
The filter become also a dropdown menu and with the option to choose if I want to have an ascending or descening sorting.

The "new stuff" would be displayed in two columns to see more content at one time.
Search is displayed at the bottom and a "filter by" option would you a quick overview about "all", "uninstalled" or "installed" content.
And some smaller changes, you will see.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Shaddar on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
alake
Registered Member
OS
I'm getting a 403 error loading the link. Looking forward to seeing what you came up with.
Shaddar
Registered Member
OS
Oh I'm sorry. Changed the link in my previous post, should work now.
alake
Registered Member
OS
Looks pretty good to me! It is more information dense, but clutter seems reasonably well controlled with spacing, typeface choices, and the smart decision to replace a couple of the less contextually-relevant elements with the progress bar while downloading.

I do have a question about the behavior of the droplist next to Download. If launched from any of the settings modules, would we disable the droplist? I think it might be a little odd if I open GHNS from the wallpaper settings module and switched to downloading plasma themes.

From an implementation standpoint it mostly looks like a itemdelegate update and a shuffling around of a few controls.
Shaddar
Registered Member
OS
I'm glad you like my idea. It was just a very quick mockup it did at work without the right fonts, tools and icons at my fingertips so I can make a better one and also one for the detail view for sure.

You're absoluetly right about that point. I think it would not only be odd but also confusing especially for new users ans when you install something but can't see it in the place you are at the moment. When we call it from a settings module it would be better to disable the dropdown menu or - if possible - just use a normal label instead. But if still believe that GHNS should also be available as an app I would be able so start via krunner or kickoff.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I like the idea of being able to open a dedicated Get new Hot Stuff app to peruse and download what's new.

A couple of suggestions I would make while you are in there:

* allow browsing new items in all categories altogether (or use a multi-select instead of a single-select drop down)
** I often find myself browsing through store.kde.org to see what all has been uploaded since the last time I checked and then opening the various GNHS dialogs to actually download things. To be able to browse through everything and download things in one place would be most welcome.

* Be able to resize/zoom in the previews.
** The fixed amount of preview space provided by the dialog is quite often too small to see all of the details available in a given preview, requiring you to open the link to the item in a browser to be able to see the full-size preview. If there were a way to resize the preview space or zoom in or whatever to be able to examine the details in the preview that would be most welcome as well.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Lachu
Registered Member
OS

Discover.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:13 pm
Discover would be integrated with Get Hot New Stuff.

Lachu, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
veqz
Registered Member
Since we're on the topic: Could we please drop the name "Get new Hot Stuff"? It feels very unprofessional, imo.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Discover.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:30 pm
Lachu wrote:Discover would be integrated with Get Hot New Stuff.

That's a good point. I saw that in one of the recent updates, Discover will pull in the information for all of the GHNS categories and allow you to browse through them all in the single app.

With that in mind is there any other work that needs to be done for GHNS? (besides maybe addressing the name and fixing the previews)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.