This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[IDEA] KDE Plasma Sidebar

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
plusfabi
Registered Member
OS

[IDEA] KDE Plasma Sidebar

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:49 pm
I've already sent this to the telegram group and I want to show this to the forums, too.

Right now we have on Plasma a system, that "widget icons" on the taskbar will open a little popup widget when pressed. Like the device notifier opens the device notifier widget, the *clock opens a calendar widget and so on. This is very jumpy and so much depends on the developer how big the widget is. This makes some widgets, while good as idea, not nice to use because of some sizes/ styling.

Now my Idea is to bring in an own formfactor for panel widgets: the sidebar

A click on the Panel widget-icon will not open the popup-widget, but a sidebar, similar to the "add widgets", "switch activity" sidebars.

some properties
  • it has a fixed width across resolutions (but should work correctly with high-DPI hardware)
  • there is no options to add widgets to the sidebar. Its not a "plasma bar"
  • all sidebars open at the same position
  • only 1 sidebar can be open at the same time
*click for more previews*
-
-

positive:
  • Everything could look the same, more polished, more professional
  • easier to create because of fixed sizes & behaviors
  • A template will make it even easier to start, since the formfactor is always the same and the developer can work on features, not styling.
  • Its easier to use with keyboard controlls
  • sidebar-apps (like a simple musicplayer, Uploading tools, add Emoji-widget) can replace full blown applications that nobody needs and would not popup in in the working area
  • it would be possible to build a whole new app system with this (like a systemsettings sidebar, we know from deepin)

negative:
  • increase of mouse movement
  • small, to hugh modifications needed on the current widgets

Proposal svg source: https://github.com/Tids/plasma-sidebar

Now what do you think about it? :)
Tromzy
Registered Member
OS

Re: [IDEA] KDE Plasma Sidebar

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 am
I love the idea !
andreas_k
Registered Member

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:31 am
Look very useful. Love it
al-dy
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:50 pm
The concept is similar to the nomad status panel of Nitrux OS.

https://nxos.org/#nomad-desktop

Last edited by al-dy on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
silencer
Registered Member

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:50 pm
I love it!! ;D
Blingy
Registered Member

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:44 pm
LiriOS and SolusOS are doing this very well.

This could easily replace the current start menu, too.
Lembritt
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:03 pm
Love it! ;D
This could be selected by the user in the same manners like the application launcher.
apapadimitriou
Registered Member

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:55 pm
I like it too. I tried to play with the Kwin Window rules to achieve that and it is almost possible. The Menu especially looks good (to me) but there is a problem with the calendar widget. I'm posting a screenshot of the menu. [It is Plasma 5.8.6]

The window rules were the following

Window matching:
Window Classs - Exact Match - plasmashell plasmashell
Window Types - Normal Window
Window Title - Exact Match - Plasma

Size & Position:
Maximize Vertically - Force

I'm not a developer but I thought they should have their own Window type and probably each should have it's own Window Title.
Though it appears they have their own type ('Override Type') but all have the same window title ('Plasma').

[Concerning the systemsettings app I prefer the regular one, though. I agree with the rest.)
andreas_k
Registered Member

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:15 pm
an example how the taskmanager could look like in a sidebar
KoMa111
Registered Member

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:31 pm
Great great idea!

Maybe the panel settings and the Add Plasmoid sidebar could be also included
janop
Registered Member

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:26 pm
This sidebar thing would also be a great place for Krunner. You know, at this time, KRunner is like a hidden feature in KDE only pro users have access to. It's like those cheats in video games, where you have to press L+R to play an already destroyed castle again or something. If Krunner would be placed in the sidebar, you could just add a little magnifier-icon to the systray, and Krunner could become a feature users could discover by just clicking every icon on screen and seeing what happens, what is in fact what many user do if they have to deal with a new user interface.

The only question is how to handle the positioning of the sidebar. Should it always be on the right side (not very KDEish) or should it be controlled by a settings menu (very old-fashioned) or should it look, where the systray is placed and place itself on the nearest screen edge?
diegog
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:26 pm
I know it's not exactly what the OP suggested but you can already do something very close to this by making a panel wider and tweaking some settings:

Full version: https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GLyNGlq.png

It's not perfect of course, since widgets aren't designed to be used in "square mode" in a panel. It's missing padding to the sides, things could be scaled a little smaller, etc. But it actually works for most widgets (notes is the only one I couldn't figure out). Another thing missing would be a way to put widgets side by side for things like the system tray and digital clock.

I really like the idea of a plasma sidebar, but I don't agree with the rigidness proposed. I want to have total control, no fixed size, position or widgets in it.
Also instead of making a new and separate system of sidebar apps, why not improve widgets to make them work on a sidebar form? There's no technical limitation (AFAIK) to making a whole music player or any other app in a widget. You can use C++/KF5 and all.

The design in those first mockups is pretty good, it could be a great starting point to improve the widget's design.
Lachu
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 pm
I try to answer myself this idea is inspired by Windows 10 or Microsoft have inspired by this idea.

I hate Microsoft, but the idea is quite good. Especially with placing task manager, tray and krunner button inside. Could it be realized as new panel template?

Lachu, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
loublanc
Registered Member

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:35 pm
Hello, I think that could be a good idea.
A sidebar could be very handy.

Talking about the sidebar itself, I think we should find a way to incorporate navigation UI elements, not as a sort of widgets, but more like a micro-OS.
So you can drag and drop different kind of widgets, arrange, close, expand, scope, Navigation and so on.

Hope you understand my vision, otherwise I can draft one if you want.
maverick
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:21 pm
I loved the idea as well!!!

When completed, please submit it on the GetNewHotStuff system!!!

Also... isn't this related as well: https://github.com/plasma-extensions/plasma-widget-notification-sidebar ?