This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[IDEA/PAPERCUT] Padding in plasma panels

Tags: plasma, panel, padding, papercut, clock plasma, panel, padding, papercut, clock plasma, panel, padding, papercut, clock
(comma "," separated)
diegog
Registered Member
OS
Hey guys, i have another padding-related papercut to propose. I've noticed the panels have a slight inconsistency in their padding, there's 2 or 3 different vertical paddings applied to widgets:

By scaling down the clock and the icon inside the menu button they can be made to fit within the blue line. That way the panel feels more consistent and the clock can be less attention grabbing.

Current:

Proposed:
ripper17
Registered Member
OS
My first instinct was: yeah, sounds great. However, I always have the date displayed beneath my clock - I'm not sure if that wouldn't be too small in that scenario? With the date being displayed, I never really had the feeling that the clock is to big.

openSUSE 13.2 x64, Platform Version 4.14.X, Kubuntu 14.04 (LTS), Platform Version 4.13.X
mrnhmath
Registered Member
Looks better :)
marianarlt
Registered Member
OS
I second that the panel sizes still need to be refined. Plasma 5 is all about looks (and the work's been great in my opinion) so why give away on one of the most present elements of every desktop!? There's some very good design work going on in Plasma but the panel ain't one of 'em (yet). Would appreciate to see some love put into it.
ripper17 wrote:[...] I always have the date displayed beneath my clock - I'm not sure if that wouldn't be too small in that scenario? With the date being displayed, I never really had the feeling that the clock is to big.

IMHO this is another big issue in the panel but it's the digital clock widget in itself rather than the panel. Of course it gets way too small when the date is shown because the date is always shown vertically beneath the date, which is complete nonsense in a horizontal layout with minimal vertical space (like the panel applied horizontally). People have asked for this. There should be three simple options here:
1. Set font size (Slider?)
2. Set date placement to horizontal/vertical (Could be a simple checkbox to set horizontal, if not set: defaults to vertical)
3. Customize date format (String input which apparently needs to be a valid format)

All of those seem rather basic edits to me. The clock without date is just ridiculously huge (as in relation, as in design) and it's because of the padding as mentioned. Why not give the user the simple choice of size? Some people like it hot others do not.

Edit: First one could be as simple as this:
Which is nothing more than
Code: Select all
                QtControls.Label {
                    QtLayouts.Layout.fillWidth: true
                    horizontalAlignment: Text.AlignRight
                    text: i18n("Font size:")
                }

QtControls.Slider {
                    id: fontSizeSlider
                }

Where the slider value (defaults to float between 0 and 1) could be a multiplier for the timeLabel in DigitalClock.qml:
font.pixelSize: timeLabel.height * QtSlider.value // Don't know how to access this
sbennet
Registered Member
marianarlt wrote:I second that the panel sizes still need to be refined. Plasma 5 is all about looks (and the work's been great in my opinion) so why give away on one of the most present elements of every desktop!? There's some very good design work going on in Plasma but the panel ain't one of 'em (yet). Would appreciate to see some love put into it.
ripper17 wrote:[...] I always have the date displayed beneath my clock - I'm not sure if that wouldn't be too small in that scenario? With the date being displayed, I never really had the feeling that the clock is to big.

IMHO this is another big issue in the panel but it's the digital clock widget in itself rather than the panel. Of course it gets way too small when the date is shown because the date is always shown vertically beneath the date, which is complete nonsense in a horizontal layout with minimal vertical space (like the panel applied horizontally). People have asked for this. There should be three simple options here:
1. Set font size (Slider?)
2. Set date placement to horizontal/vertical (Could be a simple checkbox to set horizontal, if not set: defaults to vertical)
3. Customize date format (String input which apparently needs to be a valid format)

All of those seem rather basic edits to me. The clock without date is just ridiculously huge (as in relation, as in design) and it's because of the padding as mentioned. Why not give the user the simple choice of size? Some people like it hot others do not.

Edit: First one could be as simple as this:
Which is nothing more than
                QtControls.Label {
                    horizontalAlignment: Text.AlignRight
                    text: i18n("Font size:")
                }

QtControls.Slider {
                    id: fontSizeSlider
                }

Where the slider value (defaults to float between 0 and 1) could be a multiplier for the timeLabel in DigitalClock.qml:
font.pixelSize: timeLabel.height * QtSlider.value // Don't know how to access this

Thanks marianarlt to raise the issues. I agree with your three points which you have mentioned. Hope those issue will be resolved soon.

Last edited by sbennet on Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tguen
Registered Member
OS
I've been hoping to see this changed for a long time. That large text on the clock just looks out of place. Is anyone working on it?
diegog
Registered Member
OS
Hi everyone, thanks for the comments. For some reason I never got any notifications about this thread :/
I actually submitted a patch a few months ago: https://phabricator.kde.org/D6764
My initial implementation was using an absolute value for font sizes, but as suggested by David Edmundson I'll change it to be relative to the panel so we don't have to tweak widgets when resizing panels.
I see you guys were thinking something similar. I wish I had seen this thread before jumping into the code :)
There's also another path submitted for this with a different approach: https://phabricator.kde.org/D6813 . So yes, we are working on this. It won't be in 5.11 because it's now in beta, but I'll try my best to get it in for 5.12.
Try the patch(es) if you can, any feedback would be great.
intika
Registered Member
awaiting a final stable release & updates & negotiation to merge & the king to sign the stuff

i made a fork with sizeable feature based on diegog patch...
thanks all & thanks diegog

https://github.com/intika/org.kde.plasm ... lclocklite