This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Synaptic is visually deprecated

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
raddison
Registered Member

Synaptic is visually deprecated

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:05 am
It should be upgraded to be consistent with the VDG guidelines. It's important, yes.

Proud to be powered by Plasma
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Synaptic is visually deprecated

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:05 pm
Well, Synaptic is a Gtk app and isn't part of the KDE software collection. At best we could make adjustments to the Breeze Gtk theme, but don't expect anything dramatic.

Perhaps you might consider trying out the Discover and Muon package managers which are built on Qt/Kde technologies and feature newer designs and better (visual) integration with the Plasma desktop.

As for a comparison between the 3, Synaptic is (and will always be) a very advanced, technical package manager, allowing someone who knows what they are doing to get things done quickly.
Muon is very similar to Synaptic but a bit more user-friendly. You might find that Muon will cover the vast majority of what you would do in Synaptic.
Discover is closer to some of the newer App Store style managers, focusing more on providing a great experience for users looking for (desktop) apps like Firefox, Krusader, Inkscape, etc. with screenshots, reviews, ratings, etc.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Shaddar
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:35 am
I don't know which distribution you are using but Octopi is very similar to Synapic but based on Qt and fits much better.
https://octopiproject.wordpress.com/
raddison
Registered Member

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:21 pm
Well, Synaptic is a Gtk app

I know. Mildly put, I don't like the gtk toolkit, that's why I've crossed to plasma n Qt.

scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Hm, then you should be aware that nobody in this forum has anything to do with synaptics and your inquiry is not going to reach the right people here ;)

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
raddison
Registered Member

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:26 pm
Muon and Octopi look good to me. ;)