This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"CPU Load Monitor" takes up huge space in panel

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
attila123
Registered Member
Hi,
I'm new to KDE and just installed KDE Neon.
I have some strong preferences for the desktop environment I use. I need my panel to be vertical, I really got used to that for a long time (confession time: back in Windows XP or even earlier?). In addition, I need to see the CPU usage in my panel at all times, to be able to detect if some process is "eating" my CPU (e.g. firefox often does that with lots of tabs open) - in addition to hearing my laptop heatsink fan going crazy. So far I only found XFCE to correctly support the vertical panel concept + displaying the CPU usage in it (it has vertical bars for each CPU core showing the current usage, plus an overall CPU usage history (see screenshot below) which is enough for me).
So I tried to add the "CPU Load Monitor" to my panel, but unfortunately it takes up huge space in the panel (see screenshot below): if I have several applications open, their icons will be very small. Is there a way to actually make this (or any other widget - not sure if it can be useful as a general concept) to scale down a bit, e.g. to 30% of its default height?
The screenshot how "CPU Load Monitor" looks like (was not somehow able to embed it with the img tag): http://ibb.co/crH0DG
Vs the "CPU Graph" in XFCE panel is really nice and compact and it has even some CPU usage history (showing very low CPU usage in this screenshot): http://ibb.co/co4VDG
attila123
Registered Member
Update:
Solution: do not bother with "CPU Load Monitor". Go to panel "hamburger menu" -> "Add Widgets..." -> "Get New Widgets" -> "Download New Plasma Widgets" -> search for CPU -> select "Resources Monitor". Add it. Configure it and remove the CPU clock display ("Show clock") if it annoys you (chances are, it will). It does not display the per CPU cores usage, but it is good enough for me. (IMHO this could be installed by default in KDE Neon -> in case any KDE Neon dev reads this :) .)
(I also tried "Simple System Monitor", but it does not display correctly somehow.)
BTW this looks very cool, but I could not get it installed (I guess it is not compatible with my Plasma): https://store.kde.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=91512
Update 2:
I start to realize that it's KDE, and it's possible to put widgets to the desktop as well, and that "CPU Load Monitor" and "Simple System Monitor" were designed exclusively for desktop usage... I could not deny I'm a KDE n00b. :)
sebpe
Registered Member
Another compact (but probably less informative) monitoring-widget is the "System Load Viewer", which should be installed by default.

If a widget is too big for the panel, you can also put it in a separate auto-hiding panel.