This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Scrolling per row, not per pixel

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
voidfragment
Registered Member

Scrolling per row, not per pixel

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:31 pm
I think top border of viewport should never cut icons and text. Now it does when switch view mode.

Please, fix it)
louis94
Registered Member
OS
HI voidfragment,

I don't think that partially hidden items are bad. That's how scrolling behaves, except maybe in some programs that try hard to reproduce the limitations of older text-only displays.

Also, I don't understand why the top item should always be completely visible, and not the bottom one.

Louis
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
At the very least you should include a special case for when you are scrolled to the bottom of the list, as you could be cutting off important information on the bottoms of the icons (which when showing the details below the icons could be the more important parts of the file). Then comes the question of do you only allow aligning to the bottoms of icons when scrolled to the bottom of the view, or do you allow it always (but map scroll steps to whole icons)?

Another thing to consider is that when using the keyboard to navigate, it will align to the icon selected (i.e. if you use the up arrow to select an icon that is partially/wholly cut off then it will move the view to the top of that icon, and similarly moving the view to the bottom of the icon when using the down arrow).

Also, some people (still) use the scroll bar to move the view, which gives fine control over the location. Do you snap that to the "grid" when they release?

I'd suggest as an alternative change that the scroll distance be converted to whole icons, thus preserving the distance from the top of the view to the top of the next icon the same when scrolling. One downside to this is that the scroll distance would end up changing significantly between the larger icon sizes, but otherwise I think it would achieve the effect you want.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.