This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is it possible to remove borders from buttons?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Crux
Registered Member
OS
I really like the look of Plasma 5 but what bugs me is that there are always borders around boxes and buttons which doesn't look very modern in my opinion.

So I actually just wanted to ask if it is possible to remove button / box borders, make them invisible or just recolour them.

I find that borderless UI elements look very neat. Here is an example of Plasma 5.12's bordered buttons and the borderless ones of OBS (Open Broadcasting Software):
Plasma: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IG9-Td ... sp=sharing
OBS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jV-2nq ... sp=sharing

If this isn't possible yet should I create an [idea]-post as mentioned in the stickys?

Have a nice day! ;D
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Have you had a look at systemsettings - application style - window decorations? Bottom right there is an option for Border Size.

HTH

Debian testing
Crux
Registered Member
OS
toad wrote:systemsettings - application style - window decorations. Bottom right there is an option for Border Size.

Thanks for the answer, but that is not the kind of border I meant. I tried to illustrate what borders I am talking about with the screenshots I've linked. I focus on the borders on the buttons.
The setting you mentioned seems to adjust the distance between the decorations and borders of windows.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Perhaps the devs might be open to changing the Breeze theme to have a borderless-widgets mode, though I think you might need to turn to alternative widget themes.

If you know of a Gtk theme which has the look you want then you can always configure the application theme to use the Gtk theme.
There's also Kvantum which uses SVGs for themes, and has a variety of themes available on store.kde.org. You could see if there is a kvantum theme which you like, or take your hand at making the changes yourself.

A little more obscure is StyleProject which has options for changing the look of the various widgets and includes full-flat options.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.