This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

plasmashell high CPU load

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rdong
Registered Member

Re: plasmashell high CPU load

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:38 pm
I do not use plasma-nm. However, I still have plasmashell using 15% of CPU just by enabling the CPU monitor and the memory monitor, which refreshes (only) about once per second. Is this an universal problem of animations in plasma 5 now?
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:19 pm
rdong wrote:I do not use plasma-nm. However, I still have plasmashell using 15% of CPU just by enabling the CPU monitor and the memory monitor, which refreshes (only) about once per second. Is this an universal problem of animations in plasma 5 now?

This is a known, general, problem:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=345696
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346134

But it's not universal for all animations AIUI... ;)
gguglielmi
Registered Member

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 pm
In Opensuse Thumbleweed i solve it , i just remove yahoo weather widget.
Hope to help..
lixun
Registered Member

Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:07 am
aha,only 25% my plasmashell use 46% cpu and opening 2 or more progress with very hig cpu load .I like kde very much ,I just do not like this plasmashell anymore.
lixun
Registered Member

Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:20 am
in fact ,if you open any window in plasma,cpu load increase to a high level, if use some widget high cpu load will sustain until close you widget.
OdinEidolon
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:06 am
I'm also experiencing plasmashell 5.4.0 stealing lots of CPU.

The problem:
Right now I'm writing with plasmashell using 25%CPU, and kactivitymanagerd another 25%. I have a dual core, non-hyperthreaded CPU, so Plasma is using a full core. Plasma is completely unresponsive (fortunately KWin works fine). Sometimes a popup window manages to appear several minutes after I clicked it, but it will not render its contents.

The setup:
just a Haenau desktop with a minimal bar with only a system tray. I use standard widgets (nm, klipper, battery etc.). The only non-standard is the redshift widget. I'm suspecting the culprit to be the Haenau desktop.

Question:
As Plasma is blocked I cannot try to remove the current widgets / panel, and I don't want to remove the whole .kde directory and lose my settings. Anyone knows how to reset plasma only, or which config file can I edit manually?

Terminal output:
This is what plasmashell reports when started from a terminal:
Code: Select all
kscreen: launcherDataAvailable: "org.kde.KScreen.Backend.XRandR"
kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 66 , Name: "LVDS1" ) ( "LVDS1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 66 , Name: "LVDS1" ) ( "LVDS1" )
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
kscreen: Launcher finished with exit code 1 , status 0
kscreen: Service for requested backend already running
kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 66 , Name: "LVDS1" ) ( "LVDS1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 66 , Name: "LVDS1" ) ( "LVDS1" )
KActivities: Database connection:  "kactivities_db_resources_47444505711040_readonly"
    query_only:          QVariant(qlonglong, 1)
    journal_mode:        QVariant(QString, "wal")
    wal_autocheckpoint:  QVariant(qlonglong, 100)
    synchronous:         QVariant(qlonglong, 0)
Known plasmoid ids: QHash(("org.kde.redshiftControl", 35)("org.kde.plasma.notifications", 11)("org.kde.plasma.mediacontroller", 27)("org.kde.plasma.battery", 12)("org.kde.plasma.clipboard", 9)("org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier", 10)("org.kde.plasma.networkmanagement", 13)("org.kde.plasma.gmailfeed", 29))
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.clipboard/contents/ui/clipboard.qml:32: TypeError: Cannot read property 'empty' of undefined
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.clipboard/contents/ui/clipboard.qml:34: TypeError: Cannot read property 'empty' of undefined
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollBar.qml:91: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollBar.qml:91: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollViewHelper.qml:114: TypeError: Cannot read property 'corner' of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollViewHelper.qml:63: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollViewHelper.qml:64: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollViewHelper.qml:65: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollViewHelper.qml:66: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:286: TypeError: Cannot read property '__wheelScrollLines' of null
Notifications service registered
XSync seems available and ready
XSync Inited
Supported, init completed
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:96: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:96: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:106:17: Unable to assign [undefined] to QObject*
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:85: TypeError: Cannot read property 'effectivePressed' of undefined
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:106:17: Unable to assign [undefined] to QObject*
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:85: TypeError: Cannot read property 'effectivePressed' of undefined
qml: disabling redshift
qml: disabling redshift
Plasma Shell startup completed
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/ScrollArea.qml:48: Error: Cannot assign to non-existent property "interactive"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/ScrollArea.qml:48: Error: Cannot assign to non-existent property "interactive"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:286: TypeError: Cannot read property '__wheelScrollLines' of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollViewHelper.qml:66: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollViewHelper.qml:65: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollViewHelper.qml:64: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollViewHelper.qml:63: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ScrollViewHelper.qml:114: TypeError: Cannot read property 'corner' of null
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kicker/contents/ui/DashboardRepresentation.qml:293:17: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.redshiftControl/contents/ui/main.qml: QML Plasmoid: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.redshiftControl/contents/ui/main.qml: QML Plasmoid: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
ST : DBus service  "org.kde.Solid.PowerManagement" appeared. Loading  "org.kde.plasma.battery"
ST : DBus service  "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" appeared. Loading  "org.kde.plasma.networkmanagement"
plasma-nm: Failed to enumerate BT adapters
qml: process exited with code 0. sourceName: killall redshift; redshift -x, data: Usando il metodo `randr'.

qml: clearing connected sources
qml: enabling redshift with command: redshift -l 45.6368:12.1875 -t 6500:4000 -b 1:1 -g 0.9:0.9:0.9
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemtray/contents/ui/StatusNotifierItem.qml:131:13: QML Image: Failed to get image from provider: image://icon/
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.networkmanagement/contents/ui/main.qml: QML Plasmoid: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.networkmanagement/contents/ui/main.qml: QML Plasmoid: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
QFont::setPointSizeF: Point size <= 0 (0.000000), must be greater than 0
networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::NetworkManagerPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "Devices"

Any idea?
simonv
Registered Member

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:31 pm
Hi OdinEidolon,

I'm having the exact same problem as you, and I was able to remove some plasmoids thanks to @wolfi323's help. I removed the plasmoid which I suspected to be cause for this trouble, since I installed them today and never had such problems before, but my plasmashell is still consuming a full CPU core and is totally unreponsive.

The plasmoids configuration is saved here, quoting wolfi323:

The plasmoid configuration is in ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.

Hope this helps and let me know if you still have high CPU load, because I do and it's annoying as hell. My plasma is not usable at all at the moment :(
OdinEidolon
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:50 am
simonv wrote:Hi OdinEidolon,

I'm having the exact same problem as you, and I was able to remove some plasmoids thanks to @wolfi323's help. I removed the plasmoid which I suspected to be cause for this trouble, since I installed them today and never had such problems before, but my plasmashell is still consuming a full CPU core and is totally unreponsive.

The plasmoids configuration is saved here, quoting wolfi323:

The plasmoid configuration is in ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.

Hope this helps and let me know if you still have high CPU load, because I do and it's annoying as hell. My plasma is not usable at all at the moment :(

Thanks. For me it was the application dashboard plasmoid for some reason. Will file a bug.
simonv
Registered Member

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:26 am
OdinEidolon wrote:Thanks. For me it was the application dashboard plasmoid for some reason. Will file a bug.

You are right, for me it was also the new app dashboard! Will you post the link once you filed this bug please?
OdinEidolon
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:58 am
simonv wrote:
OdinEidolon wrote:Thanks. For me it was the application dashboard plasmoid for some reason. Will file a bug.

You are right, for me it was also the new app dashboard! Will you post the link once you filed this bug please?

There it is:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=352649

Please fell free to edit and add information.
jboero
Registered Member

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:39 am
Late to the party but yes I just upgraded to KDE5 and Sabayon. I see 20-25% CPU load as well until I disable my Analog Clock plasmoid. This was never an issue in KDE4. Switching back until the kinks get worked out of 5.
Piotr Dobrogost
Registered Member

Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:22 pm
Hi!

I observe the same problem; plasmashell process having 25% CPU usage shown in systemmonitor.
I'm on Fedora 22 with `plasmashell --version` reporting version 5.4.1
Trying to attach to plasmashell in gdb resulted in the following error:
(gdb) attach 6080
Attaching to process 6080
/usr/bin/plasmashell (deleted): No such file or directory.
(gdb) tb
No default breakpoint address now.

Any hints on how to find out what's going on?

Regards,
Piotr Dobrogost
luebking

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:14 pm
you ran an update between starting plasmashell 6080 and trying to gdb attach to it.
Piotr Dobrogost
Registered Member

Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:23 pm
luebking wrote:you ran an update between starting plasmashell 6080 and trying to gdb attach to it.

Thanks. After restarting plasmashell and running gdb again I got error about missing symbols. After I installed missing symbols I'm now getting this after `tb` in gdb:
Temporary breakpoint 1 at 0x3ace6e6b77: file ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S, line 81.

Still no traceback. I'm wondering if KDE has some page with description of all steps necessary to be able to provide needed information like traceback and others?
Piotr Dobrogost
Registered Member

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:55 pm
These are backtraces of plasmashell when it had 20%-30% of CPU utilization according to systemmonitor. Please not that it's visible that after issuing `attach` command in gdb utilization of CPU by plasmashell dropx to a few % before it changes to "unavailable". Can this mean that backtraces do not reflect the state of plasmashell when there as high CPU utilization?

#0  0x0000003c26c0ad6e in __GI___pthread_mutex_unlock (decr=1, mutex=0x1ca1a60) at pthread_mutex_unlock.c:57
#1  0x0000003c26c0ad6e in __GI___pthread_mutex_unlock (mutex=0x1ca1a60) at pthread_mutex_unlock.c:315
#2  0x00007f15d30f1c47 in QXcbGlxIntegration::handleXcbEvent(xcb_generic_event_t*, unsigned int) (this=0x1c904d0, event=0x5fbd3d0, responseType=102)
    at qxcbglxintegration.cpp:174
#3  0x00007f15d4dfe14f in QXcbConnection::handleXcbEvent(xcb_generic_event_t*) (this=this@entry=0x1c99d10, event=event@entry=0x5fbd3d0)
    at qxcbconnection.cpp:1136
#4  0x00007f15d4dfed73 in QXcbConnection::processXcbEvents() (this=0x1c99d10) at qxcbconnection.cpp:1471
#5  0x0000003c376b3021 in QObject::event(QEvent*) (this=0x1c99d10, e=<optimized out>) at kernel/qobject.cpp:1246
#6  0x0000003c39b544ac in QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) (this=this@entry=
    0x1c8f490, receiver=receiver@entry=0x1c99d10, e=e@entry=0x7f15cc0854b0) at kernel/qapplication.cpp:3717
#7  0x0000003c39b59976 in QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) (this=0x7fff43038ae0, receiver=0x1c99d10, e=0x7f15cc0854b0)
    at kernel/qapplication.cpp:3500
#8  0x0000003c3768361b in QCoreApplication::notifyInternal(QObject*, QEvent*) (this=0x7fff43038ae0, receiver=0x1c99d10, event=event@entry=0x7f15cc0854b0) at kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp:965
#9  0x0000003c37685a16 in QCoreApplicationPrivate::sendPostedEvents(QObject*, int, QThreadData*) (event=0x7f15cc0854b0, receiver=<optimized out>)
    at kernel/qcoreapplication.h:224
#10 0x0000003c37685a16 in QCoreApplicationPrivate::sendPostedEvents(QObject*, int, QThreadData*) (receiver=receiver@entry=0x0, event_type=event_type@entry=0, data=0x1c854c0) at kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp:1593
#11 0x0000003c37685ef8 in QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents(QObject*, int) (receiver=receiver@entry=0x0, event_type=event_type@entry=0)
    at kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp:1451
#12 0x0000003c376d9983 in postEventSourceDispatch(GSource*, GSourceFunc, gpointer) (s=0x1cdd690) at kernel/qeventdispatcher_glib.cpp:271
#13 0x0000003c28c49a8a in g_main_context_dispatch (context=0x7f15cc0016f0) at gmain.c:3122
#14 0x0000003c28c49a8a in g_main_context_dispatch (context=context@entry=0x7f15cc0016f0) at gmain.c:3737
#15 0x0000003c28c49e20 in g_main_context_iterate (context=context@entry=0x7f15cc0016f0, block=block@entry=1, dispatch=dispatch@entry=1, self=<optimized out>) at gmain.c:3808
#16 0x0000003c28c49ecc in g_main_context_iteration (context=0x7f15cc0016f0, may_block=may_block@entry=1) at gmain.c:3869
#17 0x0000003c376d9d8f in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) (this=0x1cdd540, flags=...)
    at kernel/qeventdispatcher_glib.cpp:418
#18 0x0000003c37680daa in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) (this=this@entry=0x7fff43038960, flags=..., flags@entry=...)
    at kernel/qeventloop.cpp:204
#19 0x0000003c37688e6c in QCoreApplication::exec() () at kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp:1229
#20 0x0000003c37ce724c in QGuiApplication::exec() () at kernel/qguiapplication.cpp:1528
#21 0x0000003c39b508e5 in QApplication::exec() () at kernel/qapplication.cpp:2977
#22 0x00000000004302c3 in main(int, char**) (argc=1, argv=<optimized out>) at ../../shell/main.cpp:176

#0  0x0000003c268f72fd in poll () at /lib64/libc.so.6
#1  0x0000003c28c49dbc in g_main_context_iterate (priority=2147483647, n_fds=9, fds=0x1d42e80, timeout=<optimized out>, context=0x7f15cc0016f0)
    at gmain.c:4103
#2  0x0000003c28c49dbc in g_main_context_iterate (context=context@entry=0x7f15cc0016f0, block=block@entry=1, dispatch=dispatch@entry=1, self=<optimized out>) at gmain.c:3803
#3  0x0000003c28c49ecc in g_main_context_iteration (context=0x7f15cc0016f0, may_block=may_block@entry=1) at gmain.c:3869
#4  0x0000003c376d9d8f in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) (this=0x1cdd540, flags=...)
#5  0x0000003c37680daa in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) (this=this@entry=0x7fff43038960, flags=..., flags@entry=...)
#6  0x0000003c37688e6c in QCoreApplication::exec() () at kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp:1229
#7  0x0000003c37ce724c in QGuiApplication::exec() () at kernel/qguiapplication.cpp:1528
#8  0x0000003c39b508e5 in QApplication::exec() () at kernel/qapplication.cpp:2977
#9  0x00000000004302c3 in main(int, char**) (argc=1, argv=<optimized out>) at ../../shell/main.cpp:176

#0  0x0000003c268f72fd in poll () at /lib64/libc.so.6
#1  0x0000003c28c49dbc in g_main_context_iterate (priority=2147483647, n_fds=9, fds=0x1d42e80, timeout=<optimized out>, context=0x7f15cc0016f0)
    at gmain.c:4103
#2  0x0000003c28c49dbc in g_main_context_iterate (context=context@entry=0x7f15cc0016f0, block=block@entry=1, dispatch=dispatch@entry=1, self=<optimized out>) at gmain.c:3803
#3  0x0000003c28c49ecc in g_main_context_iteration (context=0x7f15cc0016f0, may_block=may_block@entry=1) at gmain.c:3869
#4  0x0000003c376d9d8f in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) (this=0x1cdd540, flags=...)
#5  0x0000003c37680daa in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) (this=this@entry=0x7fff43038960, flags=..., flags@entry=...)
#6  0x0000003c37688e6c in QCoreApplication::exec() () at kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp:1229
#7  0x0000003c37ce724c in QGuiApplication::exec() () at kernel/qguiapplication.cpp:1528
#8  0x0000003c39b508e5 in QApplication::exec() () at kernel/qapplication.cpp:2977
#9  0x00000000004302c3 in main(int, char**) (argc=1, argv=<optimized out>) at ../../shell/main.cpp:176