This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

global menubar in Plasma 5?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
workoft
Registered Member

global menubar in Plasma 5?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:27 pm
Recent versions of KDE4 allow for setting up the menubar via dbusmenu (options availabe: in application, on top of screen, button in titlebar, 3rd party application). I can't find this feature in Plasma 5, despite having libdbusmenu-qt for qt5 installed. Do I need something else? Do I have to look for it somewhere else? or has it simply not been implemented for Plasma 5 yet?
enoop
Registered Member

Re: global menubar in Plasma 5?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:46 am
I asked about that on reddit a few days ago and one of the devs confirmed that it should work in plasma 5. The current builds of project neon do not have it configured in the builds, so it isn't available as an option. Hopefully it will become available after the full release.
workoft
Registered Member

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:57 pm
Thanks. I'll wait for the RC tarballs to become available and try it again. What component is it in, plasma-workspace, I suppose?

Edit:
It seems Gentoo does compile plasma-workspace with dbusmenu support. But I can't find it in systemsettings. Has it changed location? If someone could tell me how to check that all the necessary bits are there, that'd be great.
enoop
Registered Member

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:08 pm
If I had to guess, do you have appmenu installed? I believe there is now an appmenu-qt5 available, so you might need that in addition to the standard cadre of packages.
workoft
Registered Member

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:41 pm
I don't think so, since appmenu-qt wasn't necessary to get it working it KDE4
enoop
Registered Member

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:42 pm
I asked the maintainer of the plasma-workspace-git on arch and he said that the setting is disabled upstream for now. Whether this is re-enabled before the full release or not is something the devs would have to answer.
workoft
Registered Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 am
Is it possible to forcibly enable this during compile time?
jaimesilva
Registered Member

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:09 pm
I just upgraded my Kubuntu from 14.10 to 15.04 and now I can't access Kdevelop's menu. I use Kdevelop for every day work so now I'm in trouble.

Before upgrade I had it configured to put the menu button on app's title bar, but after upgrade I found that there is no menu button anymore and I can't find the setting.

Installed appmenu-qt5: no setting and no menu button; removed appmenu-qt: no setting, no menu button; removed both appmenu-qt and appmenu-qt5: now KDE 5 apps have menu but Kdevelop has no menu.

How can I get Kdevelop's menu back ?

Will this feature be removed ? will we be forced to have a menu bar again and loss screen space ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
jaimesilva
Registered Member

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:20 pm
I fixed this problem by editing ~/.kde/share/config/kdeveloprc and removing all appearences of MenuBar=Disabled.

Still, is a shame we have lost the menu button on title bar. Is sad to waste screen real estate on a menu bar.

jaimesilva wrote:I just upgraded my Kubuntu from 14.10 to 15.04 and now I can't access Kdevelop's menu. I use Kdevelop for every day work so now I'm in trouble.

Before upgrade I had it configured to put the menu button on app's title bar, but after upgrade I found that there is no menu button anymore and I can't find the setting.

Installed appmenu-qt5: no setting and no menu button; removed appmenu-qt: no setting, no menu button; removed both appmenu-qt and appmenu-qt5: now KDE 5 apps have menu but Kdevelop has no menu.

How can I get Kdevelop's menu back ?

Will this feature be removed ? will we be forced to have a menu bar again and loss screen space ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
workoft
Registered Member

Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:49 am
I haven't seen any official statement about it, but I assume it is disabled because libdbusmenu-qt-0.9.3, which is the first version to offer qt5 support in dbusmenu, has not been released yet. Since this could mean API/ABI changes, sudden breakage with new snapshots of libdbusmenu is possible so it is not included in stable versions of plasma. But it should be possible to forcibly enable this feature during compile time.
diegobernardes
Registered Member

Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:21 pm
any news on this theme? im comming from ubuntu and i really miss global menu :/
luebking