This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma 5 Neon - Mint 17 KDE and dual monitor problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rossdv8
Registered Member
I have two monitors attached and working fine on Mint KDE. There was an issue in the past where I tried Kubuntu a couple of time and could not get my dual monitors working, so I went back to using Mint KDE and have done ever since. I am now on Mint 17 KDE and when I read that I could try Neon without messinf up my system I installed it.

Logginf in however, I have the same problem as installing Kubuntu had. Both my monitors come alive, but they are mirroring each other.

I cannot find any way to fix this in System Settings > Display and Monitor.
This is what I get in Mint KDE with settings to allow me to setup my monitors:
http://www.rossdevitt.com/linux/Mint-KDE.png

This is what I get in NEON - there is no option to configue monitors:
http://www.rossdevitt.com/linux/NEON.png

I see in System Settings in NEON that there are many icons missing for different settings, so possibly this is just an oversight, because there seem to be options there that are no in KDE4.x too.

Just advising of this problem in case others have the same thing happening.
I am using an AMD processor with ATI radeon.

Performance od Plasma 5 at the moment is so slow compared to KDE 4, but I assume that will change.

Cheers,

RossD
bgrosu
Registered Member
I have the same problem...this looks like some packages are missing, I wonder what packages should be installed....

Any help?
supaiku
Registered Member
OS
I cannot say why the kcm module is missing, but I just used xrandr as a workaround to set my monitors up. It's pretty straightforward.
rossdv8
Registered Member
Thanks.

I spent about three hours opening every congig type file I could find in various Neon folders in /opt yesterday looking for something I could modify. I couldn't remember whay xrandr was called.

There are lots of things missing from System Settings, so I'll just keep doing the daily updates as they come through with my normal KDE ones.

So far my experience using Neon is that it is very slow, the screens flicker a lot when the mouse is moved. Closing windows leaves a 'ghost' of the outline of the window, or sometimes. closing a window actually leaves the entire window looking as if it is still open and the only way to remove it is to change to another workspace and back again.

I imagine most of these problems are because Neon is not production ready yet. Overall though, it looks and feels nice.

I will log in to Neon later and try setting my monitors with xrandr.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please check to see if packages with a name similar to "kscreen" are installed?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
rossdv8
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Can you please check to see if packages with a name similar to "kscreen" are installed?

Too late. I changed all my fonts to 14pt in System Settingg > Fonts and lost access to my menu. Even creating a launcher on the desktop, it only flashes on and off quickly.

I did a purge as below, and tried reinstalling, but the purge does not remove everything.
sudo apt-get purge project-neon5-*
sudo apt-get autoremove

But purging does not get rid of all the neon stuff. Reinstalling brings back all the Desktop settings and wallpapers I set in Neon (so I would know I was in Neon rather than 4.xx.

So I purged again and manually deleted all files and folders I could find that had neon in the filename. That included a stray .kde that had appeared in root and a file under .kde in my home directory that had neon in the name.

Then I purged and reinstalled yet again and guess what? The wallpapers I set for Neon reappeared. The panel placement I set for Neon reappeared. The font is still 14pt and the menu/launchers still just flash on and off the screen. ALT + F2 still doesn;t work.

I purged again and did the delete thing, and removed ppa for weekly and tried daily. Same problems.

So I purged again, deleted what Neon stuff I could find that purging left behind, again, and removed the ppa suppositories.
The I refreshed the apt cache and installed the bleeding edge repositories and tried a fresh install of that in case somewhere some files had been added tat were not getting into weekly or daily.

Now there is some neon i386 stuff missing that stops things like synaptic opening using ALT+F2.

So I purged again, then manually deleted all files again.

NOTE.
My posts are not complaints or criticisms. I try to describe what happened in the subject so if anyone else has the same problem they see something familiar, rather than 'Problem with Neon and Mint'. That way, if others have the same problem it escalated to being a real bug.

For that reason I have not reported this as a bug, because I cannot get a fresh reinstall to test it. If I cannot reinstall and test, I cannot replicate it.
If I cannot replicate it, I cannot be sure it is a bug.

It is possible that it is sinply related to something in Mint 17 that is different from ubuntu/Kubuntu.

This particular computer is a Compaq CQ1040AN with an AMD E-350 processor and Radeon HD 6310 on board graphics.
VEEC023
Registered Member
I Have the same problem. No settings to configure the monitor. I use xrand as a workaround.

edit:
bcooksley wrote:Can you please check to see if packages with a name similar to "kscreen" are installed?

kscreen is installed. Also project-neon5-libkscreen is installed.
einar
Administrator
OS
You will need the KF5 port of the control module, which is already around but probably not packaged in Neon (I know because I'm using this control module as we speak). You may want to contact the Neon people for this issue.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
rossdv8
Registered Member
einar wrote:You will need the KF5 port of the control module, which is already around but probably not packaged in Neon (I know because I'm using this control module as we speak). You may want to contact the Neon people for this issue.

Thanks. One of the joys of the project is that we get to try these things and if they don;t work - simply wait a while until they are fixed.

I'll just be patient and try again in a few weeks. :-)
einar
Administrator
OS
Also, I was in error: it's called "kscreen2" not "kscreen5".

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
leonix
Registered Member
OS
I just installed Plasma 5 Neon in Kubuntu 14.04 and had a monitor problem too, left and right monitor were swapped with no way to change this in System Settings > Display and Monitor.

My solution was to check if xrandr was installed. Then I installed arandr, a simple visual front end for XRandR, in a terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install arandr
And start it from the command line:
arandr &
I just dragged and dropped the screens in their correct places and the "Outputs" menu allows for easy changing of resolution and orientation.
xrz-30
Registered Member
Try installing kscreen from neon5 project

sudo apt-get install project-neon5-kscreen

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3tpxPaOVv3XX29wNEtVTnRGclE/view?usp=sharing
alikazmi
Registered Member
I had exactly the same problem (on Kubuntu 16.04), the 'Displays' option was missing from System Settings > Display and Monitor and the monitors were being mirrored instead of being extended. I just (literally less than 10 minutes ago) managed to solve it by installing 'kscreen'. Use

sudo apt install kscreen

If there are any settings for a dual monitor setup in your config files, they'll most likely get picked up automatically (mine did), the option in System Settings won't return until you have logged out and logged back in. I have restarted my system and logged out and back in and the setup is persistent (as in the option from System Settings stays where it should be and the monitors stay extended).

Hopefully this will help someone out there 8)